Getting to enjoy the benefits of the South African healthcare system - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 Old 01-14-2013

Re: Getting to enjoy the benefits of the South African healthcare system

Get well soon, I also know about no insurance and surgery overseas, public healthcare is what it is. But the private healthcare is better than most first world countries.

I could not have had the eye surgery in the states because of costs (retinal detachment, torn iris, cataract and a new lens are a few of the problems I had), so I am lucky the problem happened overseas. lets just say my eye surgery started at 8:00 pm and ended at 1:00 am. they had all of the latest and greatest equipment.

My room had a 50 inch LCD TV, everything was computer controlled, curtains, temp, lights and more. Pick up the phone and the food is made to order the best part my total bill was $7,000.

I have also been to public hospitals in the same country where street dogs walk in and enjoy the cool floor.

Get well soon and no pun intended, I am sure you are in good hands.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 01-14-2013
Courtney the Dancer

Sorry to hear of your injury, hope recovery goes well and you are able to continue your voyage.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #13 of 54 Old 01-14-2013

Bummer for sure. Best wishes for a quick and thorough recovery.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

s/v KIVALO
2003 Hunter 260
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester while loading his boat with gin.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
post #14 of 54 Old 01-14-2013
Banned

Sounds like your morphine was in small doses or watered down. It is the drug of choice for pain relief during active myocardial infarction and it usually works pretty well. The movies are wrong in one aspect for sure. The drugs never work as fast as they portray.
post #15 of 54 Old 01-14-2013

So sorry to hear of your accident, I'm sure what ever decision you make will be the best one. Mend well, and take care.
post #16 of 54 Old 01-14-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker View Post
Wow... Sorry about your injuries.

Tell em you want Dilaudid... it works much better than Morphine.

Not to be a kill joy, but by your descriptions of your injuries my opinion is that you should mentally prepare yourself for having to haul out there and fly back to Canada.
They both are good. Dilaudid (hydromorhone) is more potent per mg basis than morphine. But after dose equivalent conversion, they are pretty much the same and will do their job if they dose properly. Titrating the patient is a must to achieve optimum benefit and keep adverse effect down.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #17 of 54 Old 01-15-2013 Thread Starter
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Thanks for all of the kind thoughts. Another day in the hospital and it seems like the possibility of skin grafts might be the only real fly in the ointment. No huge problem with the morphine, the pain has not been too bad except for the part where the physiotherapist is working to squeeze some of the fluids out of the wound and also to make sure that full motion is available in the fingers. They came something extra strong for that because it really hurt, but is necessary.

Had some good news today that our Jackline policy from IMIS include $10,000 for medical expenses. Have to email them about that. Even with the skin grafts I don't think it will cost as much as that. In discussions of cruising there seems to little talk about big ticket medical. The out of country stuff we looked at was very expensive and we did not see any that had all countries except the US.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #18 of 54 Old 01-15-2013
Boatswain

Killarney

Are you going to take pictures of your ordeal for us to see? I know it may be graphic for some, but it would be a good thing for some people to see how serious safety can be. A constant reminder to refer back to.

Signature
post #19 of 54 Old 01-15-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Had some good news today that our Jackline policy from IMIS include $10,000 for medical expenses.
Good news indeed.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #20 of 54 Old 01-15-2013
Battered and Bruised

Good news re your insurance! Hope you heal up and get back out there soon. best wishes.

SV S.S.R.I
It's my happy pill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.