Getting to enjoy the benefits of the South African healthcare system - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting to enjoy the benefits of the South African healthcare system

Glad you had a good recovery, KS. Exercise that focuses on flexibility is very useful in these situations. I had a nasty cut to my right arm with a chainsaw, severing most tendons below the palm. Quick operation by good surgeons here in US and subsequent physical therapy and exercise, brought it back to almost 100%. But sometimes I get a numbing pain there when I stress that arm too much. The body is telling you important things and you have to pay attention.
Old 05-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear its all heading in a good direction. I'm sure you look forward to the day that the remainder of the recovery can be done aboard, even if on the hook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Latest update. I am back to typing with one hand since I had my third (and last) operation on Friday. This one had two parts. The surgeon re-arranged some skin (a nip and a tuck really) so there is more range of motion between my thumb and index finger. He also went into my hand at the base of the pinky to remove scar tissue that was restricting movement of the little finger inward. Turns out the pinky is more important than I thought, for grasping smaller objects.

I will have a cast on for two weeks and then back to therapy for 6 to 12 weeks. Before this operation I could have sailed without being 'single-handed' in a literal sense, so this operation's result should be quite handy (sorry) for me. We still plan to be back in SA in November to get Ainia ready for then long trip up the Atlantic. I think it is something like 5000 miles from Cape Town to Grenada.

In related news, the SA Customs people are starting to clamp down been more on foreign boats that are in the country for more than one year. Last year they were doing this in Richards Bay and Durban. This year it has spread westward. The marina where the boat is located at False Bay near Cape Town asked us to send reports from the South African doctor and Canadian doctor on case the officials ask. They feel that if we can prove that it is an emergency Customs will be fine. If I show them the hand they will know it is real. There is a lot of permanent scarring. Saw on the news that the ambulance that was taking Nelson Mandela to the hospital broke down. Not the same one I had since it is at the opposite side of the country, but I was taken first to the provincial (public) hospital and the to a private hospital. When I was taken out to the ambulance for the second trip, the engine would not start. Just a bad battery and we were on a hill so not a problem, but a small reminder that it is still Africa, even though there is a lot of wealth in the country.
RobGallagher (06-23-2013)
Old 06-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the update... Best wishes for a final rapid recovery

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook