Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bose 151 Speakers... Opinions

Quote:
Problem is that their entire line up, not just the wave clock radio, sounds about as good as a clock radio...
Probably true now. However, I've been very impressed with 4-sat, 2 sub Acousti-Mass system my brother owns, powered by Onkyo. Friend used to have pair of 601s that kicked butt.

I own a set of Bose Tri-Port headphones on the boat, which sound pretty impressive, but definitely not portable and I'm starting to see what people say about Bose. Being surrounded by musicians and music pretty much all the time, my tastes are becoming more discerning. My Alpine/Bose car setup sounds like real crap now. Was great for a few years, then just fell apart, sound-wise.

Definitely shopping for new speakers and a subwoofer, docking station type setup for the boat.
Old 01-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I used to have a wave radio that I thought was awful."
Jeez, Paul. And here I thought I was a hard customer.
I have to think Bose makes the finest clock-radio out there.

Replacement for a rack of stereo equipment and a couple of yard-tall speakers? Hell no, but the finest clock radio on the market.
I have a Sony unit that I got at Target on clearance for $30 and it sounds at least as good as the wave, it also has useable iPod integration, aux in and HD radio and a working alarm that will wake you up to any source or an alarm. It is about the size of the original wave radio. I am suffering from withdrawal as I just got rid of my Revolver turntable, and NAD receiver in expectation of moving aboard as a turntable will not work well on the water! Not really high end stuff, but nice and warm sounding. Down below I think I will end up using a set of computer speakers, some of them put out surprisingly good sound for little money and often run on 12 volts if you get rid of the power block and you can have surround sound for movies from a laptop and music from a tablet.

I think the issue with Bose is they have a signature sound that you either love or hate. I fall in the later half, and pulled a Bose system out of a car because I could not stand it. I don't really like loud music so much anymore, but I do like a warm rich sound.

Back on topic, personally I would put in some of the Polk 6.5 inch speakers, building up a fiberglass box behind it so there is no risk of water entering the cabin if a wave blew out the speaker cones, somewhere in the cockpit. Then you have nothing to get tangled in lines and will likely have better sound and longer lasting speakers. I don't think any small water proof box speaker is going to sound as good as even a mid level auto/marine 6.5 speaker.

There are some full range Tactile transducers that are making inroads. They could really be cool, mounted behind a hatch or lazerette lid. Completely invisible and protected from the elements. I have seen installations in PWC behind the cowling, and they can make a fair amount of noise, not sure of quality of sound, but a cool concept. Not that I think PWC need to make any more noise than they already do! Again I don't need lots of volume, but it would be nice to have tunes, and perhaps the weather reports. But with the wind noise you are not getting much in the way of quality sound anyway.

Last edited by miatapaul; 01-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

crstophr is on a distinguished road

Addicted audiophile here....

For budget conscious folks Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components is hard to beat for value. They have some marine speaker offerings. I would recommend avoiding the bose brand altogether. They were a neat gimmick in the 80s and early 90s due to the sound they produced for the small size of the speakers. Today however you will get significantly better sound from most anything else that's bigger and at less cost. They are a particularly poor value because you pay a premium for the brand name and get mediocre sound.

Don't listen to me though. I tend to look at larger boats and start mapping how I would layout the home theater... where the subwoofer will fit... mounting locations for the big screen or projector.... I know.. I know...
Old 01-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I have a Sony unit that I got at Target on clearance for $30 and it sounds at least as good as the wave, it also has useable iPod integration, aux in and HD radio and a working alarm that will wake you up to any source or an alarm. It is about the size of the original wave radio. I am suffering from withdrawal as I just got rid of my Revolver turntable, and NAD receiver in expectation of moving aboard as a turntable will not work well on the water! Not really high end stuff, but nice and warm sounding. Down below I think I will end up using a set of computer speakers, some of them put out surprisingly good sound for little money and often run on 12 volts if you get rid of the power block and you can have surround sound for movies from a laptop and music from a tablet.

I think the issue with Bose is they have a signature sound that you either love or hate. I fall in the later half, and pulled a Bose system out of a car because I could not stand it. I don't really like loud music so much anymore, but I do like a warm rich sound.

Back on topic, personally I would put in some of the Polk 6.5 inch speakers, building up a fiberglass box behind it so there is no risk of water entering the cabin if a wave blew out the speaker cones, somewhere in the cockpit. Then you have nothing to get tangled in lines and will likely have better sound and longer lasting speakers. I don't think any small water proof box speaker is going to sound as good as even a mid level auto/marine 6.5 speaker.

There are some full range Tactile transducers that are making inroads. They could really be cool, mounted behind a hatch or lazerette lid. Completely invisible and protected from the elements. I have seen installations in PWC behind the cowling, and they can make a fair amount of noise, not sure of quality of sound, but a cool concept. Not that I think PWC need to make any more noise than they already do! Again I don't need lots of volume, but it would be nice to have tunes, and perhaps the weather reports. But with the wind noise you are not getting much in the way of quality sound anyway.
That must be true as I have a9 speaker Bose system in my Murano and it is awesome. I also have a Bose Home theater system which is very good too, but my 20 Year old Polk speakers with a Marantz tuner/ receiver in my office at home is still the bomb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-17-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That must be true as I have a9 speaker Bose system in my Murano and it is awesome. I also have a Bose Home theater system which is very good too, but my 20 Year old Polk speakers with a Marantz tuner/ receiver in my office at home is still the bomb.
My Mazda CX-5 has a Bose system. Some folks on the MAzda forums do not like it, I do. Sound must be in the ear of the beholder.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-17-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

As a full-time musician/singer/entertainer for more than a half century I owned more sound systems than anyone can possibly imagine. The list is endless, the systems ranged from huge to immense, speakers weighing in excess of 100 pounds, amps to nearly 1,000-watts, the works.

Not too many years ago Bose came out with their L1 series of professional sound systems. The L1 was originally designed for guitar players who also sang. The system was then modified for arranger keyboards, synths, etc..., and was later coupled with an incredible 4-channel mixer.

It took a lot for me to dump my five-year-old Barbetta Sona-32CS sound system, then shell out nearly $2,500 for the Bose L1. After then first performance I never looked back. Bose IS THE BEST--no doubt about it! Bose sound systems are considered the Gold Standard that other manufacturers try to emulate, and despite the high price-tag, they're worth every penny.

Someone suggested flush-mounting the speakers outside, then building a box around the back side of the speaker so water couldn't leak into the boat. The only problem with that is speakers, all speakers, are mounted inside acoustically balanced housings that are vented for maximum movement of the speaker cone. The quality of the sound is highly dependent upon the speaker housing, even those used for automotive purposes. For example, speakers mounted on the back deck of a car utilize the trunk's interior shape, size and components to drive the sound out of the speaker cone itself. Same holds true with speakers mounted in car doors and side panels. The cavity behind the speaker is equally as important as the speaker itself for producing the ultimate sound quality.

Of course, there are some folks that just want it LOUD. For those individuals the industry produces massive sub-woofers, and long-throw speakers that move huge quantities of air. The speakers are connected to massive, solid-state amps that drain the boat's battery system within a few hours. What is often emitted from the speakers is horrendous, thumping sounds at ear-bleed volumes that can be heard for miles. You'll find examples of this every summer weekend at Fairlee Creek and similar locations throughout the mid-Atlantic region.

One more word about Bose. From my perspective, they have the best customer service of any manufacturer I've dealt with in decades. I know of several musicians that had audience members damage their systems and Bose had another system to them the following day. If there was a warranty problem, they usually replaced the entire system at no charge whatsoever. Now that's service with a capital "S."

Cheers,

Gary
kd3pc, chef2sail, jackdale and 1 others like this.
Old 01-17-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Just be careful with the volume. Cockpit speakers and generators enjoy the reputation.

I actually enjoy the solitude of quietly checking out the stars with a scotch or cognac while in the company of someone I love.

Underway the stereo is a no no.

I will admit that doing the dishes is easier while listening to Stan Rogers.
chef2sail likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

When the wind and seas start cranking up I enjoy Jim Morrison's 'riders on the storm" from my tinny Bose 151's...

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Just be careful with the volume. Cockpit speakers and generators enjoy the reputation.

I actually enjoy the solitude of quietly checking out the stars with a scotch or cognac while in the company of someone I love.

Underway the stereo is a no no.

I will admit that doing the dishes is easier while listening to Stan Rogers.
Sometimes when we are on. 10 hour day when trip cruising we ill play some music. I cam listen on headphones. I love playing the Boss (Bruce) when sailing up the coast of my old state New Jersey.

Usually listen only when reading or working on a project. Will have to try Stan Rogers when washing dishes o see if it makes it more palatable ( I had to look him up)

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-18-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I saw a couple posts of people with subs? Does the sub tend to pull a lot of battery or is it negligible?