Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: Are we elitists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
would you walk into a bar and expect all the customers to welcome you? We don't work here.
Hey Norm! Cheers!

Last edited by rugosa; 01-15-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

The ocean can chew you up and spit you out in a heartbeaat.............................I can't think of any thing to follow that up with.
chef2sail and KnottyGurl like this.
Old 01-15-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Well, I never posted in introduction, and never expected a formal welcome mat either. I'm here out of cruising and maintenance interest mostly, have no political, religious, demo/repub, gun totin, beer brewin interest. So I watch n read mostly, largely keep to myself, jump in when I feel I can contribute from experience, share a little bit o Canadian humor - eh - and hope everyone here is getting the value I am enjoying.

Sorry the OP is offended. Doubt SN or any individual singled him/her out to ignore. Learned a long time ago to grow a thick skin and let all the BS (real or perceived) go.

There is so much value to SN for beginners, armchair dreamers, coasters, world girlding cruisers living their (and some of our) dreams, and I bet that includes those that used to sail, can't anymore but are happy to stay connected to a huge part of their life. SAIL ON!

Last edited by rugosa; 01-15-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

^^^^^^^this!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-15-2013
mermaid

RunningRabbit is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RunningRabbit

I am relatively new to this forum. Overall, I don't think this forum is unfriendly.

A common problem with internet forums and email is the inability of readers to sense lighthearted jest rather than malicious sarcasm since the benefit of tone of voice and body language of the author are absent. Anyone who gets offended is then belittled as thin-skinned. But some posters are simply snarky bullies and their sarcasm is not gentle teasing lost in translation. I think forums, as with most social situations, would benefit from the Thumper Rule: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. But some people are just curmudgeons and have to piss on everyone else's fun. I'd be sad for them, but I'm too busy living my life.

I joined this forum in part because some other forums (which shall remain nameless...but are probably easy to discern) are overwhelmed by snarky armchair sailors who flame most anyone who dares ask a question. Apparently, the very asking is itself evidence one is either an ignorant newbie, failed to research the issue sufficiently, is lazy, or some combination thereof. They are sometimes correct, but often not. I generally just don't bother asking any questions, though I have many. I'll lurk, read my books by Nigel Calder and others, and ask friends in person. (I do HAVE to get to 10 posts here, though, so that I can see links in peoples' signatures, etc...)

In reading a thread I prefer to just read each poster's personal recommendation/opinion/experience and weigh them myself rather than read a back-and-forth about why one poster is wrong or one's own view is superior. (I also tend to just skip over the posts written entirely in pirate; sorry.) A thread here on how to get started with fiberglass included a lot of chatter about the price of epoxy here versus there and who didn't do their math right. No one gets any "points" for being right or showing someone else up (or do they? did I miss that?! I want points!), but it makes threads far lengthier and IMO less useful. In contrast, a thread on 2012 costs for cruising the Caribbean had many differing opinions and experiences without a "you're wrong, I'm right" tiff developing, and gently gave some needed constructive criticism to the OP about the need for more detail in their query.

I fully appreciate the scorn for folks who post "Hey, I want to live aboard and sail around the world. Please tell me what boat to buy and provide a list of needed equipment." The person may be a lazy jerk trying to make folks here do his research for him, or he may just be too green to know he's asked an annoying question. Being a peaceable type, I'd just ignore the post or perhaps be kind enough to provide a couple links to useful books to get started. Others might flame him. I don't know which is right or wrong, but I'd rather be in a forum where folks err to the side of being kind and giving the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
A thread here on how to get started with fiberglass included a lot of chatter about the price of epoxy here versus there and who didn't do their math right.
Guilty.
Not because of any desire to score points, but to provide useful information. You're right, though, it sidetracked the thread and added little to the conversation.

Old 01-16-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

As a new member myself I have always been made to feel welcome. Sailing occurs on many levels, from sport to lifestyle to profession. It only stands to reason that the heaviest of posters on this site tend to be the people who are most serious about sailing. There is some truth in the respondant's letter that the "liveaboard circumnavigators" tend to overshadow the casual sailors, but is this unexpected? They experience sailing on very different level than I do, so I expect their perspective to be different from mine. It is up to each of us to determine what is and is not applicable to our own goals and needs.

I think people forget that it is okay to disagree. It is also very easy to shift between humor and snark, but very difficult for a reader who does not know you to tell the difference. Is there some bit of elitism on here? Yes, there is. That is just a statement of my own opinion from my own perspective. But I came to sailing believing that everyone who sailed was Thurston Howell III. While there are some Thurstons about, the vast majority are much closer to Jimmy Buffett. We also have to realize that while Thurston may be irritating at times, Thurston types bring a perspective and experiences that are often very valuable. In our lives we deal with elitism and snobbery. Most people learn how to listen to what is said while ignoring how it is said, somewhere along the way.

SailNet is a tremendous resource for both information and entertainment for me. Any friction on this site pales in comparison to the sites for other activities I am involved with.
Old 01-16-2013

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed SailNet.
It is very informative and I've met a lot of great people.
There have been times when I laughed so hard my stomach hurt from the humor in some of these posts as well as chat.
I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some of the people who I've chatted with or read their posts, in the near future. you never know...... Captg
chef2sail likes this.

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

Old 01-16-2013

probwhite is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I've been lurking for a month or two but finally started a couple of threads yesterday. I got nothing but good responses and good advice. I'd call that pretty friendly. Come to think of it, I never did introduce myself. Maybe I'll go do that now!
Old 01-16-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It only stands to reason that the heaviest of posters on this site tend to be the people who are most serious about sailing.
Or the most serious about posting anyway.
dnf777 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.