Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Are we elitists?

Welcome earthlings (thats my favorite greeting one of our posters has and I always wanted to say it)

Sailnet is comprised of many different types types of people so it is to be expected that many different personalities may show through the postings. For the most part I have seen nothing but respect for the new poster as well as for each other.

There are many different levels of experience on here and a treasure trove of information to me mined if the poster is willing to refine their questions and do research. SNers have the real world experience to go along with what you can read on the internet which can be inbvaluable to choosing products or getting started on boat projects. I marvel at the before and after pictures of many of the projects I have seen on here. I have followed expert advise ( I think) of some of the posters who have given time and selflessly
contributed their knowledge like Mainesails videos.

When I joined years ago ( before the exorcism) I looked at the posters with thousands of posts two ways...either they were bored or they had great knowledge and gave back. That hasnt changed as I have become them now. Sometimes I am grumpy, but most times I am giving. Thats real life isnt it?

I joined back then the get some of that knowledge as well as maybe make some sailing friends in my area which is the Chesapeake. Sailnet has been a great common meeting ground for many of us in the Chesapeake. Because of it I have personally met over 70 boaters I would not have ever known. We have get togethers informally during the year as well as meet on the water sometimes for raft ups. Brcause my wife and I have gotten so much out of this it is our pleasure to host one of the formal get togethers every year in June at our club. It is one way my wife and I feel we can give back, just be getting faces together. It is remarkable to see the faces and laughing as people meet each other for the first time or see old friends. Through the years as I look at the people who come I see no elitists....just a group of sailors from all walks of life with boats of all types and sizes.

We also have met some of the SNers on our trips up north to Long sland sound and New England. They have been nothing but helpful and generous and have given us recomendations on eveything from anchorages to restuarants to offfering to take us for provisions. Where else could that happen.

Where else couldyou experience sailors from the Pacific Northwest, Canada, Great Lakes, North east, Chesapeake and Mid Adlantic, and Florida. The we have our travelers. Like Sequitor ( I want to be like him someday) and Killerney Sailor ( laid up right now. get well soon buddy). Only on the internet can you get this experience.

Your SN experience is controlled by you. It is what you put into it. If you are passive and stand there, the others will look like they are ignoring you as this poster did I think. You have to jump in and engage. When you do, MOST of your experience will be pleasent I assure you. Like life though it wont be 100% so you can expect that.

Over all Sailnet has been good to me and I hope I have been able to contribute to making it better for others.
arf145 and jameswilson29 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I am new here and have not noticed elitism or unfriendliness. Seems as good as most internet forums and better than some

Old 01-16-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Geeze, you can get a really enthusiastic welcome over on Sailing Anarchy....;-)

I think we do okay, but as many have said, we do better with an actual question rather than just, "Hi---please say hi back".
bljones and blutoyz like this.
Old 01-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

When I'm around, I try to check in on the intros, look for the 0 replies posts, and say hello. In fact, I've been labelled a "Walmart Greeter" by certain pompous chuckleheads in the past for doing so. I thought that was pretty funny, of course. Jealousy is always funny.

Anyway, saying hello is a great thing to do if you've got the time to hit those threads. Sometimes I've got the time, sometimes I don't.

BUT - to get bent because someone doesn't post on your intro thread when it's typically one of many on any given day is a little tender. I mean c'mon.

I say harden up, hit the sailing threads, and state your opinion - WHATEVER it may be. SN is a DISCUSSION forum. I don't think anyone should ever feel the need to stay quiet because they think they don't have enough experience or knowledge to post. Just say what you think. You'll probably learn something. I do.

Okay, time to put on my little blue vest and go say hello. I mean - even pompous chuckleheads have learned (the hard way) that new members are the lifeblood of any forum. You should treat them as such, right?

Heh-heh.
jameswilson29 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The fact that the entire bar doesn't come over and slap your back like you were a long lost friend is silly. You have to walk in and make friends. That's life. Even the funny example of Norm, in the sitcom Cheers, points out that it wasn't his first day in the bar.
Indeed. I find this to be a helpful, friendly forum. And I did when I came here 5 years ago with questions about my first (and still only!) boat. But then I don't really need to be formally welcomed, initiated, etc. I was happy to lurk, get a feel for the place, ask questions, and get great answers.

But everyone has their own definition of "friendly". If someone needs the kind of friendly you might get from a small town in the South in order to hang, Sailnet, or for that matter most forums I've seen, might feel a little distant. You can't win them all.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-16-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

Well, another newbie here. I joined this forum a few months ago and just passed my mandatory 10 posts to see signatures last week. I'm mostly a lurker, and have been visiting this site on and off for a couple years prior to becoming a member.

Compared to other forums, this one is quite tame. There's not a whole lot of craziness, and people are very helpful. From new questions (even the "I want to sail RTW in an iron bathtub and swimsuit - what else do I need?" threads) to technical discussions, for the most part people are met with informative replies. Of course, this may or may not apply to OT threads

Even the chat room is nice and tame - I've been camped out in there for the past couple days and everyone has been quite pleasant. I've even found a few people in my area who sail.

I wish I knew more about the poster who didn't get any replies, and if this was their first internet forum they have joined. I've definitely seen some more active forums, but few that are friendlier.
Old 01-16-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Of course we are elitists. We are sailors, afterall, and fully aware that we are among the most intelligent and capable people in the world.

Sailnet members are pretty good about keeping the snark to a minimum, although I have little to compare with. This is the only forum I frequent.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 01-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I come here to find answers, pay it forward by giving answers to those questions I can be reasonably sure are correct.
I've got the social graces of a stump and several thousand posts to prove it.

If I was an elitist, I'd be too elite to answer this post
chef2sail and kellysails like this.
Old 01-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Can't forget that the poster in question could be 11 years old, or could be lonely in a assisted living facility and looking for constant companionship. That's one of the downsides to Internet boards. You never really know, at first.

I wonder if there is any logic to eliminating the Intro forum? Encourage new members to jump in with both feet, the water is great!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I wonder if there is any logic to eliminating the Intro forum? Encourage new members to jump in with both feet, the water is great!
I see your point, but based on one person out of how many complaining? Granted, we don't know who just quietly goes away, but I'm not sure that getting rid of that area is the answer.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne