Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Are we elitists?

If every member of this forum sent you a welcome note it would take you a year to read the thread (about 121000 registered members) and I personally would be astonished if you did. Or perhaps the OP would like to suggest which sector of the membership should be responsible for welcoming new members so we can cut the responses down to around 1000 .

I've been a member here for going on 10 years and have a relatively low post count compared to some, I contribute when I can, shut up when I can't and work quite hard at knowing the difference.

I won't welcome you here because I only really visit two boards and "Introduce Yourself" is not one of them. I'll welcome your advice if you have any to share and you're welcome to mine if it's of value to you.

If that doesn't work for you, have a nice day.
smackdaddy and Minnewaska like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Are we elitist?

Have your people contact my people and see if I can schedule you for a thoughtful response, perhaps during mid morning massage.
Old 01-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Our system sends out reminder notices to people who joined Sailnet but have not visited the site for 90 days.

If the system can send out an automatic reminder notice, can it also send out an automatic welcome notice? It's not the same as having whomever respond in the forum, but it might be something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-16-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...I wonder if there is any logic to eliminating the Intro forum? Encourage new members to jump in with both feet, the water is great!
After seeing this thread I went looking for this "Intro Forum" and could not even find it! I still don't know where it is.

Just out of curiosity I counted how many General Interest forums there are, and there are 46! And that's not including the Intro Forum and any other ones that are hidden somewhere. [EDIT: I just realized that I can go up another level and found the Intro Forum, along with another 50 or so other "non-General-Interest" forums, and dozens upon dozens of sub-forums within those. I'm beginning to think that we may have more forums than sailors!]

I think there would be a lot of logic to eliminating several dozen of these forums. I've thought for awhile that this message area is way too fragmented. There have been times that I have posted very relevant questions that I wanted quick answers to in the appropriate sub-forum, and got zero replies. Then I would post the same question in the General Discussion section, and get dozens of replies within a day.

Take a quick look at the number of people viewing the various forums, and you can immediately see that there are maybe 5 forums that are active enough to stand on their own. Post on any of the others, and it's like shouting in an empty auditorium. It could be argued that you now have evidence that you lost this new member (and perhaps others) because he posted into one of these under-utilized forums. As a newbie, he probably didn't know any better.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-16-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
If the system can send out an automatic reminder notice, can it also send out an automatic welcome notice? It's not the same as having whomever respond in the forum, but it might be something.
It does. That is, it did when I joined.

As for the 'elitist' bit? Not sure what that's about. Though, I would venture to guess some people require more acknowledgement of their presence, than others. It's not a thin-skinned thing, imo. Rather, the needs of members just vary.
Old 01-16-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

This is one of the most open welcoming and balanced sites I have found. Yes there are some very snobby, one sided, ultra right wing sites, where only elitist, right wing, pro consumerism posts are allowed, and offering "out of the box thinking" style solutions to the not so rich can get you banned ( Cruisers forum, anything sailing .com, boat design.net, etc, etc) but this is anything but. There is a wide spectrum of philosophies and ways of thinking here with some brilliant postings. I don't know why I wasted so much time on those other sites, I wouldn't recommend anyone seeking solutions there, being as they are usually dominated by the hecklers veto, by people who don't have much in the way of experience or ideas.
No, you wont find many sites as open as this one.
Old 01-16-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Sorry Brent, I'm the one that banned you on Anything Sailing; that's not the way it happened.
Old 01-16-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Well over the years I've been a member of quite a few internet fora on various subjects, and this one has to be one of the friendliest and has one of the greatest degrees of expertise.

However I've also come to learn that on the internet, some people can be ruder than they would be otherwise. It's a well known feature of the internet, and of non-face to face communication in general. Shrug it off and don't worry about it.
Old 01-16-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Good point on the face-to-face aspect. If everyone responded as if they were face-to-face, a lot of the snarly behavior would cease.
Silvio likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-16-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Good point on the face-to-face aspect. If everyone responded as if they were face-to-face, a lot of the snarly behavior would cease.
Agreed!

My two lovely ladies!!