Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Are we elitists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I posted instructions on anything sailing on how to build sheet blocks for under $2 each, which are far stronger and more reliable than the moist expensive blocks on the market. For trying to help people out in that way ,I was vehemently attacked by those who told me that a block made of much lighter material was automatically much stronger if it had a commercial brand name on it. I was banned, but those attacking me for offering affordable solutions are still there, poisoning the site. Don't go there trying to help make boating more affordable for cruisers. That is not allowed there.
It is in the past....let it go
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Ah, the light just clicked on, you folks are all a band of barred posters from other blogs. Kind of pirate like. Suddenly it ALL makes sense now.
smackdaddy and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 01-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Ah, the light just clicked on, you folks are all a band of barred posters from other blogs. Kind of pirate like. Suddenly it ALL makes sense now.
Heh-heh. You have no idea how kind of right you are.

"The Elite". That's us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-16-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

This image comes to mind

Band of Barred Bloggers
nolatom and smackdaddy like this.

Last edited by kellysails; 01-16-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
..Yes there are some very snobby, one sided, ultra right wing sites, .....
That's wearing your bias on your sleeve. Generally unwelcomed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
I am relatively new to this forum. Overall, I don't think this forum is unfriendly.

A common problem with internet forums and email is the inability of readers to sense lighthearted jest rather than malicious sarcasm since the benefit of tone of voice and body language of the author are absent. Anyone who gets offended is then belittled as thin-skinned. But some posters are simply snarky bullies and their sarcasm is not gentle teasing lost in translation. I think forums, as with most social situations, would benefit from the Thumper Rule: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. But some people are just curmudgeons and have to piss on everyone else's fun. I'd be sad for them, but I'm too busy living my life.

I joined this forum in part because some other forums (which shall remain nameless...but are probably easy to discern) are overwhelmed by snarky armchair sailors who flame most anyone who dares ask a question. Apparently, the very asking is itself evidence one is either an ignorant newbie, failed to research the issue sufficiently, is lazy, or some combination thereof. They are sometimes correct, but often not. I generally just don't bother asking any questions, though I have many. I'll lurk, read my books by Nigel Calder and others, and ask friends in person. (I do HAVE to get to 10 posts here, though, so that I can see links in peoples' signatures, etc...)

In reading a thread I prefer to just read each poster's personal recommendation/opinion/experience and weigh them myself rather than read a back-and-forth about why one poster is wrong or one's own view is superior. (I also tend to just skip over the posts written entirely in pirate; sorry.) A thread here on how to get started with fiberglass included a lot of chatter about the price of epoxy here versus there and who didn't do their math right. No one gets any "points" for being right or showing someone else up (or do they? did I miss that?! I want points!), but it makes threads far lengthier and IMO less useful. In contrast, a thread on 2012 costs for cruising the Caribbean had many differing opinions and experiences without a "you're wrong, I'm right" tiff developing, and gently gave some needed constructive criticism to the OP about the need for more detail in their query.

I fully appreciate the scorn for folks who post "Hey, I want to live aboard and sail around the world. Please tell me what boat to buy and provide a list of needed equipment." The person may be a lazy jerk trying to make folks here do his research for him, or he may just be too green to know he's asked an annoying question. Being a peaceable type, I'd just ignore the post or perhaps be kind enough to provide a couple links to useful books to get started. Others might flame him. I don't know which is right or wrong, but I'd rather be in a forum where folks err to the side of being kind and giving the benefit of the doubt.

I couldn't have said this any better. I'm new hear and don't post on any forums ever except here. Generally; people in forums are a lot more brave than in person. I'll leave it at that. Not much for words and ain't to quick witted; but i can take your anchor light out at 500 meters.

Last edited by Faster; 01-16-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 01-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Are we elitist?

Have your people contact my people and see if I can schedule you for a thoughtful response, perhaps during mid morning massage.
I'm elitist- YOUR people have to call my people. My people don't call nobody.
In fact, I'm so elitist, my people may not even take your people's call.

Silvio likes this.

Old 01-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Anything sailing is a consumerism " Go buy things at west marine " type solutions only, allowed. No innovation type solutions allowed.
Apparently you missed the boat building threads, the low-buck thread, the boat refit threads... Brent, having interacted with you here on sailnet and on AS I find you are far less combative here.

Old 01-16-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ah, the light just clicked on...
Bainbridge Island...isn't that where The Professor lives? He could make the lights go on with coconuts and some water from the lagoon.
Old 01-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
True, and we be meeting at Bremerton on Memorial day weekend, seem to recall it being a pirate party at the ports of Bremerton and Port Orchard that weekend........yep, that is my story, and I is sticking to it...........will not disCUSS other sail forums, for fear of having to mention not being terminated.......in the meantime, need to go fetch Winston who is heckling Fatty for not being cute enough!LOLOLOL as one jabs at the lowly ugly head murderator.......:rolley es:

Marty