Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Are we elitists?

Our system sends out reminder notices to people who joined Sailnet but have not visited the site for 90 days.

Today I received this response to one of those reminders...

I removed their name to protect their identity.

Perhaps we should have a welcoming committee because we certainly want to make everyone feel welcome here regardless of their level of knowledge, sailing experience, etc.

I DO NOT think this person is being overly sensitive at all and take his observations very seriously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

I am going to take a chance and reply to this reminder. I'm not sure if this is an automated message.

I have left SailNet primarily because not one person welcomed me to the community when I introduced myself. I tried and tried to welcome others who were new and received a few nice responses. However, I found out that the rest of this particular community are not very welcoming to folks who are new nor are they very friendly. It appeared to me that unless you are a liveaboard circumnavigator, you aren't worth the time and effort. That said, I think there is a lot of good information at your site but I just could not continue going to such an unfriendly place.

Regards ~ xxxxx (xxxxxx)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

BethHuntsberry is on a distinguished road
Re: Are we elitists?

I am brand new to SailNet When I introduced myself I had several people immediately respond with a welcome message. I haven't found this to be an unfriendly place at all. Did their introductory post get lost somehow?
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 01-15-2013

aeaston is on a distinguished road

I never bothered with an introductory thread myself (I don't think?), though to be honest, I'm more of a listener, and generally speak up if something is of particular interest to me.

Any time I've needed any sort of response, I've recieved it, and very promptly and politely as well. I don't think you're (we're) elitists.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 01-15-2013

Randypa28 is on a distinguished road

Gosh, I've been lurking around since 2008 and primarily come here to get info and see what others are doing with their boats. I've laughed out loud at some posts and not agreed with others but never got an unfriendly feel from the place. Obviously I don't post much so maybe I'm not the correct demographic, but I like SailNet.
justflie likes this.
Old 01-15-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Admin, what was the nature of their introduction? What forum did they use and how was it worded? I would be very surprised if they were completely ignored here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-15-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like someone with thin skin. This forum is a lot more friendly than some of the others that I frequent. Not the friendliest of them all, but way, WAAAY far from being what I would call "unfriendly."

The fact is that a lot of people come on here who have a very romantic notion of buying a boat and sailing off into the sunset--everything being easy, cheap, wonderful, and safe. Sometimes those people get annoyed and defensive, and accuse others of trying to "kill their dreams" or "burst their bubble" when they are offered a more realistic look at what it is like, and what is involved. I have to wonder if this person is one of those.
Old 01-15-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

There are many bloggers here with very strong opinions. On some threads I can almost predict who will blog next and what their response will be. But I am so impressed with the knowledge base, no other site compares. The strong opinions I think are just a side effect of a group who is so impassioned with the topic. It can be a bit intimidating but so is boat ownership, making a crossing, or sometimes just doing a day trip with fresh wind with friends and family aboard. To do those things; it requires some hutzpah and bringing that type of people together on one blog the end result is predictable, IMHO. While I appreciate everyone’s opinions, sometime I just think, “Meh, my way is better”. You need to be able to do that and just move on.
wind_magic and davidpm like this.
Old 01-15-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I joined about 15 months ago and now feel this is my second home. Almost everyone has been very welcoming; more than enough to make up for the few that were 'rough around the edges'.

To be fair, anyone here is going to give you a reality check if you're plans or dreams are way off the mark; we are quite free with our opinions.

I can believe that no one replied to his welcome message (might have been really good weather that day; you can guess where most of us were) but 'unfriendly'? I don't think so.

I haven't seen any 'big boat bias' or snark because the member only has a 15' daysailer. I've seen some snark (I've written some of it ) but always in good fun.

I'd call this guy thin skinned, but that would be rude.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I am not surprised. Many come here to ask questions and are often treated as though they should already know or how dare you ask.....

Why should some one have to have "thick" skin to be here?

I try to post where I can help, especially where I have had experience, if I cant I stay away and let others chime in. Others not so much, and to be quite frank are rude and obnoxious in their replies, here's a hint, their post counts are usually quite high...meaning they arent out sailing!

What I find even more amusing about this post is you(admin) sound surprised. There have been quite a few long timers here that have made it quite vocal that this is not the friendly place it once was and have picked up and gone elsewhere.

Personally I like it here, contribute when and where I can and often use the forum for information which it is full of, good and bad!
RunningRabbit likes this.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 01-15-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Bahumbug! Go away bildge rat!

LOL just kidding, welcome to sailnet. I'm a relative newcomer myself.

As to the OP some people need a lesson in internet protocall, not everything is a snub & it can be difficult to discern sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHuntsberry View Post
I am brand new to SailNet When I introduced myself I had several people immediately respond with a welcome message. I haven't found this to be an unfriendly place at all. Did their introductory post get lost somehow?
BethHuntsberry likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED