Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Head conversion options?

My boat is so small, I removed the porta-potty, because it's disgusting to clean and put in a 5-gallon bucket, with lid, and layers upon layers of plastic bags with kitty litter, for solids. There's a disposal bucket, with lid and the bags are sealed and deposited there. Liquids are handled differently.
Old 01-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

SloopJohnB describe the simplest way to set up a system, if you're spec is to have a pump out.

There is a very fine line between a porta-potty and a holding tank. The PP simply has the tank integrated in the unit and you can remove it. The big difference is that the PP tank is usually nuked with chemicals to attempt to avoid odor, while a holding tank is vented so that natural non-odor aerobic bacteria will survive to break down solids. Ironically, people often kill these good bacteria by adding witchcraft potions to their holding tank and causing the odor they seek to treat.

IMO, the worst thing you can do to the environment is pump the treatment chemicals overboard. There are million of animals that poop in the sea. Dumping waste in the right place should be zero impact. It's the treatment chemicals that can and should be avoided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

castorp is on a distinguished road

The Airhead's a great design and works marvelously well!
Old 02-10-2013
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Head conversion options?

Depending upon size of boat, I have used the treat and discharge units on my 33 and then 44 foot boats. Electrasan. It is fully automatic and can be set to manual, auto, or no discharge.
Old 02-11-2013
Old Salt

gypsygypsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
SloopJohnB describe the simplest way to set up a system, if you're spec is to have a pump out.

There is a very fine line between a porta-potty and a holding tank. The PP simply has the tank integrated in the unit and you can remove it. The big difference is that the PP tank is usually nuked with chemicals to attempt to avoid odor, while a holding tank is vented so that natural non-odor aerobic bacteria will survive to break down solids. Ironically, people often kill these good bacteria by adding witchcraft potions to their holding tank and causing the odor they seek to treat.

IMO, the worst thing you can do to the environment is pump the treatment chemicals overboard. There are million of animals that poop in the sea. Dumping waste in the right place should be zero impact. It's the treatment chemicals that can and should be avoided.
I agree with this ! The government went after boaters because we were easy ! Atlanta Ga dumped millions of gallons of sewage in the river and cheerfully paid the fine . Yet let a boater dump 5 gallons and He might wind up in jail . Who has done the least damage ?
I am not saying dumping is okay , but neither is a boaters small amount going to do any damage . The chemicals are more harmful than organic waste !
We bought our Port-a-potty-on-steroids , because even though Ala has some of the most severe laws , they have the least amount of pumpouts . So we had to have something we could dump overboard , if we are forced to .
Old 02-11-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

they went after boats due to "chunks" and the fact that marinas were turning into cesspools.

I can remember before they got rid of the pumpoverboard toilets.. the water in the marina near my home was completely unsafe to swim in.. and I will not go into the smell

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2013
Old Salt

gypsygypsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
they went after boats due to "chunks" and the fact that marinas were turning into cesspools.

I can remember before they got rid of the pumpoverboard toilets.. the water in the marina near my home was completely unsafe to swim in.. and I will not go into the smell
Didn't say it was good to dump overboard . I said the government went after the easiest target .
Montgomery marina was the same way . Several houseboats that never left dock were dumping straight in .
Montg. Marina got a grant to install a pumpout , they did and it brokedown , after a few years . There is one pumpout in over 300 miles of Alabama River .
The next pumpout is near Mobile , off the Mobile river , about 350 miles from Montgomery .

I have done all one citizen can do to change this ,, all to no avail !