SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   21ft Bilge Keel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95831-21ft-bilge-keel.html)

keelhaulCharlie 01-17-2013 04:06 PM

21ft Bilge Keel

Looking at a 21ft Bilge Keel that is on a trailer ( for sale) , think it is a Débutante class wonder to myself how do I get that in the water? Can a boat that big be launched down a slip or is it a crane job ?

tschmidty 01-17-2013 05:20 PM

Re: 21ft Bilge Keel

Anything can be launched with a long enough ramp and a long enough rope! Depends on the depth of the trailer, etc. Hard to say without a picture, and the type of ramp will make a big difference.

carl762 01-17-2013 05:52 PM

Also, some trailers have an extendable tongue (?), so you can push it farther out into the water and launch. Ramps usually need to be steep, too.

I have a 23 footer with trailer, no extension, and had to use a travel lift and drop her in.

Nice looking boat, BTW.

CalebD 01-17-2013 07:31 PM

DEBUTANTE 21 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Bilge keelers are a great choice for your area where you have wild tidal ranges and miles of flats that become exposed.
The spec I linked above does not say that the Debutante made a bilge keel design but it does say that several versions were available and I'd guess that a bilge keel version made a lot of sense for your side of the pond.

Welcome to sailnut!

TQA 01-18-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keelhaulCharlie (Post 977248)
Looking at a 21ft Bilge Keel that is on a trailer ( for sale) , think it is a Débutante class wonder to myself how do I get that in the water? Can a boat that big be launched down a slip or is it a crane job ?

Can a boat that big be launched down a slip? Sure it can. Lots of people do it.

Just make sure you know how long the slip is and try to keep the tow vehicle on level ground by using a rope between the trailor and the tow vehicle.

If you launch in salt water wash the trailor off with fresh ASAP and expect bearing problems if you do not repack with grease on a regular basis.

dylanwinter1 01-18-2013 01:30 PM

it draws bugger all

you will be fine

as the men said

long slip, long rope

lots of grease for repairing the damage to the bearings

it is getting the bugger back on that is the hard bit

carl762 01-18-2013 02:46 PM

Packed my bearings before my launch, but didn't get them wet. Anybody use the bearing buddies?

Going to try getting my boat out this Spring with the trailer, instead of spending all that hard-earned cash on a lift.

Great videos.