SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Great Literary Quotes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95832-great-literary-quotes.html)

smurphny 01-17-2013 04:49 PM

Great Literary Quotes

Sometimes when reading classic lit., the absolute command of words is startling. It makes me wonder what ever happened to The English Language. Here's one from Herman Melville, the opening to...well you know:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

All sailors can relate to this passage. Any others out there?

bigdogandy 01-17-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Great Literary Quotes

This classic often attributed to Mark Twain, and often quote here on Sailnet:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

captflood 01-17-2013 05:41 PM

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS:- Just another day, Over worked under paid, complaining and nobody listening, marching to the horizons we shall never meet, in the army of the dead in ever deminissing circles before we disapear up ower oune orrifissess Have a nice day now. ! I put this lot together for when anybody asks how are you today (Makes them real sorry, and they will not ask next time ) AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

bljones 01-17-2013 05:42 PM

Got out of town on a boat for the Southern Islands,
Sailing a reach before a following sea.
She was makin' for the Trades on the outside,
And the downhill run to Papeete.

Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas,
We got eighty feet of waterline, nicely making way.
In a noisy bar in Avalon I tried to call you,
But on a midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away.

-Stephen Stills.

ShoalFinder 01-17-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 977265)
Sometimes when reading classic lit., the absolute command of words is startling. It makes me wonder what ever happened to The English Language. Here's one from Herman Melville, the opening to...well you know:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

All sailors can relate to this passage. Any others out there?

Melville's writing is fantastic. So, too, is his sense of humor. Moby Dick has some of the funniest passages I have ever read in classic literature, on the same level as Twain- and that's saying something. I have always regarded Twain and Steinbeck as the two greatest American writers, with no close second. Melville is one of the greats and the only reason I don't personally rank him with Twain and Steinbeck is that Melville tends to go off on wild tangents in Moby Dick and the story suffers for it. Still a wonderful book by any account.

ShoalFinder 01-17-2013 06:14 PM

As to quotes, I like a simple one that reminds me of the wonder I felt the first time I went sailing.

"How silently they do their work!" Richard Henry Dana, "Two Years Before the Mast"

smurphny 01-17-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoalFinder (Post 977293)
Melville's writing is fantastic. So, too, is his sense of humor. Moby Dick has some of the funniest passages I have ever read in classic literature, on the same level as Twain- and that's saying something. I have always regarded Twain and Steinbeck as the two greatest American writers, with no close second. Melville is one of the greats and the only reason I don't personally rank him with Twain and Steinbeck is that Melville tends to go off on wild tangents in Moby Dick and the story suffers for it. Still a wonderful book by any account.

For sure. Melville explicates more than you ever wanted to know about whaling ships:-)

rockDAWG 01-17-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 977265)
Sometimes when reading classic lit., the absolute command of words is startling. It makes me wonder what ever happened to The English Language.

Blame on the new immigrants and texting :D

rockDAWG 01-17-2013 06:42 PM

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

https://activecaptain.com/images/different175.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to swim to the other side. May be eaten, or may be not. :D

chef2sail 01-17-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.”
― John Paul Jones
He also said

Quote:

“Surrender? I have not yet begun to fight!”
― John Paul Jones
or

Quote:

"Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead."
-Admiral David Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay