SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Newbie looking for experience and knowledge (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95890-newbie-looking-experience-knowledge.html)

future sailor 01-19-2013 04:47 PM

Newbie looking for experience and knowledge

Ok, so I am looking to buy a boat and after listening to some comments on here from people that seem to have a lot more knowledge than I, I thought I would try this. I'm a basic "handyman" that loves to build and fix stuff. So, I am hoping that there are some people around the Atlanta area or maybe even some places along the southeast coast that would like some donated help in maintaing and fixing/repairing a boat(s). All I ask in return is for knowledge, as much fun as scrubbing can be, and maybe hopefully an occasional ride on the water to learn the craft. Since I don't have enough posts here yet to PM and stuff, I can be reached on my more thru here: roadracer326 at yahoo. com

I am willing and sometimes able to do a weekend to the southeast coast with my wife in tow. She's a pretty good cook and also willing to get her hands dirty sometimes too!! :D

Thanks,
Michael

PBzeer 01-19-2013 05:14 PM

Re: Newbie looking for experience and knowledge

Michael - you might try contacting any yacht clubs or boating groups within your travel area.

Also, it's never a good idea to post an e-mail address, unless it's one you don't mind having filled with spam.

mad_machine 01-19-2013 05:19 PM

sadly that is true about the spam.. you can try using (at) in place of the @ and maybe (dot) in places of the . to throw off the spam bots.

And I think you are on the right tack.. nothing builds experience than going out and doing it. After not being on the water 20 years, I went out and bought a small gp14 to get my waterwings back. Now I am ready to move up to a small cruiser

Lake Superior Sailor 01-19-2013 07:03 PM

Start hanging out at your local marina get to know the Harbor Master and you will get invites soon enough!..Dale

LarryandSusanMacDonald 01-19-2013 08:38 PM

Join the U.S. Power Squadron and take some of their courses. You'll meet a lot of boaters that way.

OR:

Get a job at a working marina. You'll learn more than you may want to.

Also, check out my website, the Frugal Mariner - lots of good stuff for newbies.

Good luck and welcome to the boating community. Lots of good folks you'll get to know!

SchockT 01-19-2013 09:34 PM

Definitely investigate which clubs organize the local racing scene and go crewing on a race boat if you really want to learn to sail! Crew that are eager and willing to help out with the more mundane chores of keeping a boat in racing trim are always welcome. You will have the best luck starting out with the slower racer/cruiser classes since they are usually the ones that are short of crew. Once you get some knowledge under your belt you can try to get a ride on one of the speedsters.