US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
As a case in point, it seems the salvors for the Costa Concordia stuff-up are currently fixing the wreck in position, planning to re-float it and then tow it away to be cut up - to avoid precisely what I describe above. ...and they're saying it'll be the largest effort of it's type ever.
Speaking of the COSTA, if you haven't seen the piece 60 MINUTES did on the salvage operation, it's worth a look... incredible project...

Click on the title to get it to play...

Classic30 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
well.. I imagine they would have to cut away part of the reef to get in there to patch the Guardian up enough to refloat her. At this point it may be best to strip her where she sits, clean her out as best then can.. weigh her down, and yank.. and once clear, she drops to the bottom to become part of the reef she damaged
I'm no salvage expert by any means, but given the expected outcomes of the on-going salvage efforts for two very recent cases of ships coming to grief in environmentally-sensitive areas, I'd have thought that the preferred (and likely most expensive, but then looking at the "Rena" budget, maybe not) and most responsible thing to do would be to strip the wreck and refloat the hulk for scrap or otherwise...and not simply cut her up where she is, as proposed.

JMHO
Old 02-14-2013

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

What does this even mean?? English, do you speak it? If left to choose between foreign ships with better than half witted pilots and money, want to bet they will take the money.

Seriously, who was it that drove a perfectly good ship, with unlimited electronics, in excellent weather onto a reef??? A feriner??? Nope. Probably one of them thar fancy Annapolis graduates.
How much was that ship worth.....bwahahahahaha...glad I do not pay taxes in the US anymore. I do not support stupid.
Old 02-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
I'm no salvage expert by any means, but given the expected outcomes of the on-going salvage efforts for two very recent cases of ships coming to grief in environmentally-sensitive areas, I'd have thought that the preferred (and likely most expensive, but then looking at the "Rena" budget, maybe not) and most responsible thing to do would be to strip the wreck and refloat the hulk for scrap or otherwise...and not simply cut her up where she is, as proposed.

JMHO
once stripped.. I am not sure that the guardian has a salvage worth. She is wood and glassfibre.. which means that once stripped, she should come off of the reef easier than a metal ship

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
once stripped.. I am not sure that the guardian has a salvage worth. She is wood and glassfibre.. which means that once stripped, she should come off of the reef easier than a metal ship
If that's true it really would be very irresponsible to cut her up in situ.

Hopefully they'll do something like you suggest - and sooner rather than later - but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
Old 02-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Another example of environmental hysteria. So she crunched the reef, an isolated event. The world isn't coming to an end and the seas will not dry up nor will the sky fall. Drag her off and sink her. This reef damage thing is asinine, another issue for people with way too much time on their hands figuring out what to moan about next. Chicken Little all over again. I still want to know the particulars of how she managed to get in that spot but we'll probably never really know.
ShoalFinder and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 02-14-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I agree. Nobody likes to see a reef damaged, but we're talking about a few hundred feet on the top where all the sunlight and food in the world get to it. If this was fifty years ago they'd be blasting the reef out of existance as a hazard to shipping. Many ships have hit this same reef- the most recent I believe was a Greenpeace ship. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

I would think cutting the ship up would cause more damage from leakage and debris than dragging the hulk off would ever cause. I have no idea what the idea is behind cutting the ship up. I wonder if it has more to do with saving the operational equipment before the hull is scuttled.

I wonder how bad they holed the bow when it first hit. It must have been bad enough that no amount of coffer dams would do the trick. That they left it to die on the reef tells me that they knew the ship was toast immediately.
Old 02-14-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
I

I would think cutting the ship up would cause more damage from leakage and debris than dragging the hulk off would ever cause. I have no idea what the idea is behind cutting the ship up. I wonder if it has more to do with saving the operational equipment before the hull is scuttled.

Without a doubt.. some parts of those ships are put in before the hull is sealed up due to their size.. so the only way to get them out is to cut the ship up

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Agreed. I believe this ship has the Isotta-Fraschini diesel. That diesel and the reduction gear is probably half the value of the ship. Between those and the ROV / Mine Disposal System and the towed sensor array, the rest of the boat is relatively worthless.

A friend of mine is pretty sick over this. He served on this ship as a diver a number of years ago and like all sailors has sentimental attachment to his ship.

I had friends on sister ships of this class. It's odd- it wasn't so long ago these were being built. A guided missile cruiser I served on is being decommed next year, and that is heartbreaking to me. I would be horribly saddened to see my ship foundering on a reef and junked before my eyes in such a manner.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 02-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
A friend of mine is pretty sick over this. He served on this ship as a diver a number of years ago and like all sailors has sentimental attachment to his ship.

I had friends on sister ships of this class. It's odd- it wasn't so long ago these were being built. A guided missile cruiser I served on is being decommed next year, and that is heartbreaking to me. I would be horribly saddened to see my ship foundering on a reef and junked before my eyes in such a manner.
Perhaps therein lies the reason you guys usually strip the good bits off and sell what's left to our idiot politicians "fully fitted out" at bargain-basement prices instead. (Brilliant sales-job, BTW)

..and leave us to spend gazillions re-fitting them, none the wiser...

Last edited by Classic30; 02-14-2013 at 10:14 PM.