Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013

Grunfeld is on a distinguished road
Help With Boat Selection

I'm considering 3 boats and would appreciate any thoughts offered.

1. 1979 Crealock 37
2. 1977 Tayana 37
3. 1977 Cabo Rico

Please assume all in similar condition.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help With Boat Selection

Crealock and Tayana are canoe sterns, so volume aft (and in the cockpit) is a little less than the Cabo. (For the record, I am in LOVE with the look of the Cabo, so my comments are a little biased.) All three are generally regarded as very well made boats. All are full keel. All are cutter rigs. All things being equal (and yes, I recognize that things are NEVER equal) I would pick the Cabo. I did mention I am in love with that boat, right?
Old 01-19-2013

Thank you for the quick reply. I too find the lines of the Cabo Rico a little more appealing than the other two.

I appreciate the observation regarding space in the cockpit.

Here's another question I should have included. The Cabo has a manual windless and I'm wondering how disadvantageous that would be when single handing?

And if it's a serious drawback how difficult is it to change to an electric windlass?
Old 01-20-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Help With Boat Selection

On the Cabo Rico. I too was considering one but the teak decks topsides and the narrow head turned us off.
Old 01-20-2013
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

All 3 good choices, I would consider the Baba as well.

In my opinion an electric windlass is a must for a cruiser. Given the displacement of the boats you are looking at you will want about 10mm chain and about 75 meters. Pulling that up in say 40-50 feet of water will convince you the first time to get electric (with manual backup). For me the most important "luxuries" are autopilot and windlass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I like all three also, the Crealock is definately a bluewater cruising boat. Replacing the windlass cabn be done on all the boats, Brokesailor could comment on the Crealock as he has one.

Electric Windlasses are nice features/I wont go into the positives They add a lot of weight ( Battery as well as wire if run back to most users battery compartment). They also draw quite a few amps.

We have a Simpson Lawrence mechanical windlass which works very efficiently and is very simple and easy to operate with few moving parts which can break. I single hand a lot and have no difficulty either releasing or pulling up the anchor with this setup. You can use it to pull up to the anchor as oppposed to using the electric one to do this as y put resistance to the notor ( you are supposed to power up tho you anchor with an electric one)

I have decided to stay with our mechanical one as I only have 90 ft of chain. If I had more I may reconsider.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-20-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Help With Boat Selection

BTW The Crealock 37 is not full keeled like the Cano Rico. The rudder is hung on a skeg.
Old 01-20-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

You didn't say what you intend to do with the boat you settle on but IMO an electric windlass is not a luxury if you are going cruising. Neither is some form of mechanical steering, be it vane or autopilot, especially if you have to single hand, even occasionally. I see quite a few boats with the windlass actuator at the helm, and I can see the advantages, again when single handing, but there some serious dangers in that luxury for sure.
As to the boats, I agree with those above; there's no advantage in a double-ender that I can think of other than if it has an outboard rudder upon which you can easily and cheaply mount a trim tab wind vane.
Old 01-20-2013

I'm getting a lot of helpful feedback. Thanks all.

As for what I intend to do. I intend to sail the Sea of Cortez for about a year and then head further South say to Panama, Ecuador and then who knows.
Old 01-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The Tayana is the biggest and has the best "numbers" for performance. More than 200' more sail than the Crealock.

The Crealock is the smallest by far - 1/3 smaller than the Tayana - and has middling numbers - it's the best looking IMHO.

The Cabo has numbers getting into motorsailer territory D/L pushing 400 and Sa/D of 14.

A quick look at YW shows;

The PS ranging from $80K to $195K averaging around $130K

The Tayana ranges from $36K to $132K averaging around $80K

The IP ranges from $74K to $144K averaging around $100K

There are also 2 to 3 times as many Tayanas available.

To me it's a no-brainer - the Tayana is the biggest, cheapest, probably the fastest and it was designed by the best designer. IIRC it is also one of his personal favourites of his designs.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Tags
cabo rico , crealock , tayana