Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Cards: Pompous & Anal or A Good Idea?

I've got the ultimate on order right now, I hope it makes it before I depart:

Beer coasters printed with boat and contact information. If they don't want to keep 'em, at least they can use 'em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

Beer coasters printed with boat and contact information. If they don't want to keep 'em, at least they can use 'em!
What a great idea!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 01-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Pompous is a strong word, but a boat card is not my cup of tea. Likewise, I don't name my cars either. I use business cards in my profession, but that is for business. Cruising is for pleasure; it is way too much pressure to give and receive cards.

No card from me, and please do not shovel your card to me. :P I prefer exchange cell numbers and perhaps snap a pic with my iPhone as needed. The pic has the time and GPS location stamped.

I am with the old school. It only take me a few minutes to know if I will be friends for life of the person I just met. I don't need to collect lots causal friends, I only need a few good friends. Besides when I go cruising, I wanted to escape from human contact. I prefer waving to others 50 yards away.

Hey.... that is just me. YMMV.
dgasmd likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

Can you upgrade to coffee or soup mug??

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-21-2013
GreatKetch33

Deric is on a distinguished road
Boat Cards: Pompous & Anal or A Good Idea?

Boat cards? Heh, a guy at our marina had real boat cards; all his cards were shaped like boats, and each one capable of floating on the surface of water.

On occasion, we took bets to see which card would float to the shoreline first. The winner was treated by the other participants to a drink at the club house. We loved those boat cards because it helped quench our thirst. No one cared about the name of his boat on the card: Inthadrink.

Cheaters were discovered by others quickly. Those cheaters tried to make sails paper and mast from toothpick.

Ya just gotta love those boat cards. Cheers!
Old 01-21-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The difference tween a boat card and biz card is?!?!?! really nothing IMHO. I could see where this would be a better way to get the persons info that both of you need so as to contact later for what ever reason.

Might be better i many cases than an actual biz card to some degree too. As it says your boat name, email if special for your boat vs work, or personal friends and family.. same with cell phone, if you have a work # vs person vs home, then you can separate easier.

I have not used them, but could see them as being handy when in my case, sometimes looking for race crew etc. A boat card with boat name, sail number, ph# and email to potential crew, etc would be useful. No different than a biz card frankly!

Now depending upon how you design, make, pictures on it, comments like "best (cough cough) looking male muderator on sail net" cough cough choke spit cough cough....now maybe you are getting a bit pompous....but showing off ones cute puppy is good, ugly ones with spiked collars..........we'll toy with that idea......in the future.....someday maybe.......

marty
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Now depending upon how you design, make, pictures on it, comments like "best (cough cough) looking male muderator on sail net" cough cough choke spit cough cough....now maybe you are getting a bit pompous....but showing off ones cute puppy is good, ugly ones with spiked collars..........we'll toy with that idea......in the future.....someday maybe.......

marty
Its obvious to me that you have zero taste!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-22-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

fyi: camScanner = app for pictures to pdf. take a camera pic of the card, saves it to a pdf file.

move that to a thumb drive, and you have a great index system. -rename the file the boat name.

its on googlePlay... maybe for iphone.
Old 01-22-2013
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Pompous is a strong word, but a boat card is not my cup of tea. Likewise, I don't name my cars either. I use business cards in my profession, but that is for business. Cruising is for pleasure; it is way too much pressure to give and receive cards.

No card from me, and please do not shovel your card to me. :P
I prefer exchange cell numbers and perhaps snap a pic with my iPhone as needed. The pic has the time and GPS location stamped.

I am with the old school. It only take me a few minutes to know if I will be friends for life of the person I just met. I don't need to collect lots causal friends, I only need a few good friends. Besides when I go cruising, I wanted to escape from human contact. I prefer waving to others 50 yards away.
I couldn't agree more here.!!
Old 01-22-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I travelled around many Islands with a couple on another boat who had printed up boat cards. It was embarassing to watch how many store owners, other cruisers, taxi drivers, custom officials, passersby and anyone else not quick enough to avoid a card ending up getting these boat cards. I'd be more discerning as well and have to admit that several cards I was encumbered with disappeared once I got back aboard.