Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Boat Cards: Pompous & Anal or A Good Idea?

The other day I thought it would be a good idea to print boat cards to hand out when we meet people at anchorages etc.

My wife thought the idea was pompous and, although she denies saying it, I know she thinks it: symptomatic of my anal-retention.

In Bonaire a couple of years ago I dove with a couple from Holland who had a similar card for diving. I thought it was a great idea.

I thought that a card printed with our boat name, our names, our home port and an e-mail address would be a good idea - saves scrambling for pen and paper.

Does anyone else do this?

What info do you include on your card?

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Cards: Pompous & Anal or A Good Idea?

Very common for cruisers to exchange 'boat cards'. I've four or five in my pocket right now. Last time I exchanged was in Key West two days ago, with a couple from Minnesota. May never see them again but if I do, I can check for their names as I file boat cards by boat name. Since October I've exchanged dozens...some have become friends and others we will hail, or they us, when in the same anchorage.

Not pompous at all.
Midnightflyer likes this.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 01-20-2013
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road

Oh, suggest you make note on the back of cards you receive recording date and location of meeting.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 01-20-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Boat cards are pretty common among the ICW snowbird set. You meet so many people and then you find a familiar boat again in some other anchorange and know you met them before but don't remember their names, etc.

Our has our names, boat name, email, and cellphone. We've seen some that also have pix of the owners faces, again to help you remember when you meet them again. We tend to write helpful notes on the back of cards we're given, such as where/when we met the people, or similar.
dsullyec1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Why not? we have cards for everything else. I think it is a great idea and much better than something scribbled on a napkin

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-20-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Oh, the way to not make them pompous: don't make them double-sided with full-color photos of your boat at sunset, curlicue illegible lettering, and something self-important like "circumnavigator" or "liveaboard since 1925" under your name. Just the info that someone would really use. The rest of your expertise should speak for itself.
jrd22, T37Chef, mgmhead and 2 others like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I agree... Boat's Name, Your name, Home Port, and contact info are all you really need to have on there.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-20-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Yep, they are worth having.

You can either print them yourself or have them printed for you. If you elect to go the latter route, it's hard to go wrong with Vista Print.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 01-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Another 'yes'... it's been suggested that in addition to your boat, you have a shot of yourselves too - to help someone remember who it was they met.... However our cards are just a boat pic, name, our names and some contact info.
killarney_sailor likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-20-2013

RobFJ is on a distinguished road
Boat Cards: Pompous & Anal or A Good Idea?

I really like the idea. When I'm away from work, I often feel I would rather have a personal rather than a business card to exchange with vacation acquaintances. For cruising, I think this is great and plan to follow suit before the sailing season starts up again this spring.