SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Do all Beneteaus have iron keels? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95930-do-all-beneteaus-have-iron-keels.html)

HeartsContent 01-20-2013 09:27 PM

Do all Beneteaus have iron keels?

I like some of these boats but the iron keel is simply a deal breaker. Curious to see if any were made without iron keels.

blt2ski 01-20-2013 09:42 PM

Re: Do all Beneteaus have iron keels?

There is probably a First series boat or two with an lead keel. But the typical Oceanus/cruising style boat, will be iron. Same with Jeanneau. Most are iron, there is a sunfast model or two out of lead. In fact, many if not most of the what I would call chevy model style european boats, have gone to iron, more due to cost, lack of lead in Europe. That is not to say that there are not european built boats with lead.

Frankly, a well designed iron keel will work as well as lead. On the other hand, rust thru does need to be delt with upon occasion.

Marty

Faster 01-20-2013 09:50 PM

I think some of the US built Benes may be lead, pretty sure it was available as an option. But nowadays iron doesn't have to be a dealbreaker, but many feel as strongly as the OP about that.

Marty - typo in line one....;)

CBinRI 01-21-2013 12:32 AM

Some of the older firsts were made with Iron and some were made with lead, even the same models. Don't know about the new ones.

SloopJonB 01-21-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartsContent (Post 978661)
I like some of these boats but the iron keel is simply a deal breaker. Curious to see if any were made without iron keels.

Check out this link before you make iron a deal breaker - the bolts in iron are easily replaceable for a few $. Modern coatings make iron far less of a maintenance problem than years ago.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...lead-keel.html

davmarwood 01-21-2013 06:36 AM

Our 1998 Beneteau Oceanis 352 has a lead keel. I don't know about later models.

bubb2 01-21-2013 07:20 AM

Having own a 1999 Bene since new, i can say you are missing out good boats thinking that iron keels are a deal breaker. I barrier coated my keel when the boat was new before the boat ever hit the water for the first time. 3 years ago I had a small bubble of barrier coat lift and under it was rust, about the size of 3 inch circle. Ground it down to shinny iron and re-barrier coated it. took all of 45 min's. Haven't seen another speck of rust. 13 years of ownership 45 min's of keel maintenance, That would be a deal breaker for me.:D

Minnewaska 01-21-2013 07:20 AM

Epoxy coated iron keel? What's the worry?

sailingfool 01-21-2013 08:46 AM

I had some complaints about my First 305 but the iron keel was not one of them. Prep and epoxy it properly once and then it is just routine upkeep, as with lead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

svHyLyte 01-21-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartsContent (Post 978661)

Depending on the model and year you are looking at will determine whether a lead keel was available. For most Beneteau yachts, however, certain items were original Buyer options including keel type (lead/cast iron/deep/shoal etc), mast type (keel stepped/deck stepped/standard, mid- or tall rig, two or three spreaders), water tankage and type (stainless/bladder), back-stay adjustors or none and type (screw/hydraulic) etc. etc. etc. Finding a specific configuration to suit your specific requirements may be possible but will be problematic unless you are willing to cast a very wide net.

As a practical matter, the cast iron keels have proven to be very durable and are rarely subject to difficulties. If treated/maintained properly, they are no more problem than their lead cousins. Our boat, a 1986 era First 42, is fitted with the shoal draft (6.5') cast iron keel and absent a few rust spots from time to time at our tri-annual haul-outs (which are easily treated) we've had no issues with the keel at all.

FWIW...