Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: make a gale sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Do you have a photo or description of soft hanks? They sound interesting and I have bits of Amsteel to play with. Are they basically soft shackles?
Yup... just a soft shackle the appropriate size to clear the luff tape on this sail. I'm a little worried using metal hanks on the synthetic stay. With the pressure that would be applied by the storm jib in bad conditions, I think the soft hank is the way to go. Also, they are insanely strong and slide easy! They only negative is that they take longer to load on the stay. Again, with the sail bagged, and sitting on the deck, I already have that done when the weather is nice.

Haven't used it yet in anger. Now that I have it installed, I'm sure the gods will let me sail for a long time before testing it out.
Old 01-21-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

We carry a storm jib with sleeve.
I believe I saved about $1500.00 having my local loft make it versus the ATN Gale Sail. Have you ever priced one of those things? Unbelievable.
Having said that, I have a huge fear of trying to rig it and my thought process has always been, make sure it is up and ready to go long before the stuff hits.
I really can't see breaking it out, I would rather roll up the jenny to the second mark or beyond if needed. I will deal with the bad sail shape.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The 60 sq. foot gale sail...costs about $800.00. The 100 sq. ft about $1,000.

I see them pop up on ebay from time to time.
Old 01-21-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The 60 sq. foot gale sail...costs about $800.00. The 100 sq. ft about $1,000.

I see them pop up on ebay from time to time.
Thanks for clarifying that.
I remember it being more than I was willing to pay.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-22-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I might worry about the machine screws working or just pulling out under high load if they are just tapped into the aluminum. Have you seen the mast hounds that are available? Rigging Only in Fairhaven Mass. has them in their on-line catalogue:
Rigging Only - External Mast Hound for 5.2x8 mast section 1/2" pins
It may be wise to weld on a strap around the mast so that the machine screws have shear load instead of an angular load.
Have a look at the picture once more

The machine screw is not tapped into the aluminum.
The tang is made in two parts. You make a slot in he mast and thread the two halves in so the flanges sit inside the mast.
The purpose of the screws is to prevent the tang from falling into the mast.

A neater solution than the mast hounds.
Old 01-22-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Aha. Now I see it. That makes more sense and a neat job. I'm planning to make up a mast hound type fitting for a second, inner forestay just above the spreaders so I can have a couple of running backstays. I considered a Solent but decided an inner stay would probably be better for my boat. The most difficult part of designing one is how to secure the deck fitting below. I'm planning on a removable pc. of wire/turnbuckle in the cabin that can be attached right down to a hefty cross-member glassed in low below the cabin floor.
Old 01-23-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I know that you can send the sail to them for them to do it. But at $22 dollars a foot it seems a bit crazy given I am fully capable. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket! Seems no one has done it on there own though. Is anyone willing to share detailed pictures with me so that I can see how it is done a little better? There really aren't that great of pictures on line.

Thanks!
Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 01-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
sailrite

Check out sailrite for a video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-23-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
ATN site offers to do it for $22.00 per foot of Luff length. You could try giving them a call.

ATN Sailing Equipment | The Gale Sail | Easy Handling Storm Jib
We converted our hank-on storm jib to a Gale Sail by having ATN add the necessary flaps, tape and lugs. We keep it and the sheets in a ready bag in our cockpit sail locker. One must also have ties that will secure ones working sheets to the furled sail although, once the Gale Sail is in place they will be enclosed and secured and, unless one's sheet leads will take two sheets, one must also have spare sheet leads or snatch blocks ready to go in place to take the sail's sheets. Rigging the sail is usually done while running off and, if the sail is folded properly only the luff needs project from the sail bag while hanking the flap over the furled jib. The hoist once everything is ready is really not that difficult but the noise can be a bit unnerving until the luff is tightened and the sheets set up.

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."