Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your other passions?

My Christian Faith (I'm an elder at my church);Genealogy, and History. I had two GG Grandfather's who fought in the Civil War and I'm the Commander of the Department of Kansas, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. I spend a lot of time marching in parades and hanging out in cemeteries.

I'll be leading my family in a tour of our family stomping grounds in southern Ohio this July at our reunion. First time they've ever seen where we came from. I'm looking forward to seeing their faces as I tell the story. Did I mention I love history?

What are your other passions?-ottawa-vet-celeb-017.jpg

What are your other passions?-c-12.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool. I am a history buff too. I have my GGG(?) Grandfather's discharge papers from the Union army AND the mini ball he was shot with! How cool is that?!

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrdink View Post
My Christian Faith (I'm an elder at my church);Genealogy, and History. I had two GG Grandfather's who fought in the Civil War and I'm the Commander of the Department of Kansas, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. I spend a lot of time marching in parades and hanging out in cemeteries.

I'll be leading my family in a tour of our family stomping grounds in southern Ohio this July at our reunion. First time they've ever seen where we came from. I'm looking forward to seeing their faces as I tell the story. Did I mention I love history?

Attachment 13276

Attachment 13277
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 01-22-2013
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
That's pretty cool. I am a history buff too. I have my GGG(?) Grandfather's discharge papers from the Union army AND the mini ball he was shot with! How cool is that?!

Brad
s/v KIVALO
That's WAY cool! You should join up with us. Go to SUVCW.org. We can always use another brother!
Old 01-22-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
All depends on where you are and what market you are in. My brother does quite well with a portrait and wedding business in Maui, but I would not want to try to make money at it here. Of course in Maui you can doe lots of wedding a week, as they are every day and only last a couple of hours for the most part.
Agree . Especially for wedding, but is not my cup of tea. I have not surrendered to numerous calls. I doubt I will shoot one.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-22-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Fishing, hunting, hard drinking, chasing younger women, hang gliding, scuba diving...NO WAIT! That was when I was 20 years old and single.

Now, 52 years later, sailing singlehanded to the Florida Keys, drinking margarettas, watching the young gals walk by the boat, basking in the sun, snorkeling on the reef, still read lots of books, constantly fix things on the boat, and for exercise, ride a 26-inch bicycle to the grocery store, post office and liquor store.

I still play lots of music and sing to the ladies, but that's what I do for a living. Yeah, I know, but it's a fun job.

Cheers,

Gary
downeast450 likes this.

Last edited by travlineasy; 01-22-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Great thread! Quite the varied group we have here!

My main hobby now (or is it another job?) is my 5month old son.

Other hobbies/passions:

1. Medicine, particularly medicine with limited resources and infectious disease.
2. Backpacking and bushcraft
3. International travel
4. Hurting myself with power tools (old boat and an older house)
5. Homebrewing, including homebrewing on the boat. (Drinking a homebrew now)
6. Macro-Economics. (nerdy I know, but it gets a lot less nerdy when your stock portfolio goes up and up and up... )

Hobbies I used to do more of and would do more of if I had more time:
1. Archery
2. Shooting and reloading
3. Rock Climbing
4. SCUBA diving.

MedSailor
Old 01-23-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Gary - who is into clocks in your household.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-23-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Our kids are probably our biggest passion. Even as they're leaving home, that doesn't slow down(they're home right now from college).

After a lifetime of skiing, I took up snowboarding at 54(and joined my wife already snowboarding). That's put the excitement back in getting on the mountain. Our kids do as well.
Winter is a great season to if you're active outdoors.

We're passionate about traveling and do as much as we can. Photography is a passion, so is writing these days(good to hear others enjoy it). I love the creative process it forces me into. Writing is a lot like my work, design/building(I have a passion for that as well). It starts easily enough and then it gets harder. But if you get through it, it's very rewarding to come up with something that you and sometimes others, appreciate.

There's only so much time for sailing in our lives and the balance here in Maine seems just perfect. I'm on the water edge every day even in winter so sailing is a part of the off season here. Boats are being built all around me here.

This area of coastal Maine is such a potent mix of what it is I love about sailing, boats, the coast, that our season is quite a feast.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-23-2013

RealST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Fishing, hunting, hard drinking, chasing younger women, hang gliding, scuba diving...NO WAIT! That was when I was 20 years old and single.

Now, 52 years later, sailing singlehanded to the Florida Keys, drinking margarettas, watching the young gals walk by the boat, basking in the sun, snorkeling on the reef, still read lots of books, constantly fix things on the boat, and for exercise, ride a 26-inch bicycle to the grocery store, post office and liquor store.

I still play lots of music and sing to the ladies, but that's what I do for a living. Yeah, I know, but it's a fun job.

Cheers,

Gary
I just found my Wingman!
MedSailor likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Agree . Especially for wedding, but is not my cup of tea. I have not surrendered to numerous calls. I doubt I will shoot one.
Don't. I used to make my living with a camera. I did one wedding and will never do another.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White