Many cruisers with documented vessels can not enter FL legally. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Many cruisers with documented vessels can not enter FL legally.

Rich- If they are foreign flagged, they operate under international rules and as I understand it, any "state" registration here does not apply. The problem is for US flagged vessels, or US-state registered vessels.

Groggy-
Yes, IIRC the term "National Guard" refers to state troops who are enrolled in the National Guard Program. When they go to federal service they become "National Guard of The US" whic of course gets shortened back down to the same "National Guard" compounding the confusion. Perhaps intentionally.

Three or four years ago, none of the enabling legislation (which goes back to 1903) was available anywhere on the web. Even the USANG, which mentions the legislation in their web web, did not have any posted. And because it was so far back and most libraries "start now and work back" the legislation wasn't posted on any library sites or even the LibCong site. Now, about half is posted if you dig for it.

Seduction-
Those fees may not represent the entire cost of registration. Once you have registered the boat, you have basically confirmed that FL is now your home port or native waters, and that may trigger a problem with your insurer requiring a policy change as well. No,it shouldn't, but any time you change a registration on a vehicle, insurers want to know about it, and what they do will vary with the insurer and the policy.
Then of course, you've still got to waste a couple hours and a taxi ride to go do it.

Cruising, like most other things, is not what it was in the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Once you have registered the boat, you have basically confirmed that FL is now your home port or native waters, and that may trigger a problem with your insurer requiring a policy change as well.
Someone like me could end up changing registrations three or four times a year.
Old 01-24-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I've read thru the whole thread Roger. As frustrating as it is, if you want to play then you've got to pay. Why does this surprise anyone?
I'm not going to touch this. Anyone else want to take a stab at it?
Old 01-24-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Many cruisers with documented vessels can not enter FL legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rich- If they are foreign flagged, they operate under international rules and as I understand it, any "state" registration here does not apply. The problem is for US flagged vessels, or US-state registered vessels.

Groggy-
Yes, IIRC the term "National Guard" refers to state troops who are enrolled in the National Guard Program. When they go to federal service they become "National Guard of The US" whic of course gets shortened back down to the same "National Guard" compounding the confusion. Perhaps intentionally.

Three or four years ago, none of the enabling legislation (which goes back to 1903) was available anywhere on the web. Even the USANG, which mentions the legislation in their web web, did not have any posted. And because it was so far back and most libraries "start now and work back" the legislation wasn't posted on any library sites or even the LibCong site. Now, about half is posted if you dig for it.

Seduction-
Those fees may not represent the entire cost of registration. Once you have registered the boat, you have basically confirmed that FL is now your home port or native waters, and that may trigger a problem with your insurer requiring a policy change as well. No,it shouldn't, but any time you change a registration on a vehicle, insurers want to know about it, and what they do will vary with the insurer and the policy.
Then of course, you've still got to waste a couple hours and a taxi ride to go do it.

Cruising, like most other things, is not what it was in the 1950's.
From the Florida Boaters Guide:
OUT-OF-STATE RECIPROCITY
Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers
issued to visiting vessel owners by other states for a period
of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida
longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector.
However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number
if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable
period of time. The out-of-state vessel owner who plans to
remain permanently in Florida must advise the county tax
collector. They will receive a Florida registration number to
replace those issued by the state of former residence. The
out-of-state registration and certificate of title, if issued, must
be surrendered to the tax collector. Out-of-state registration,
certificates, and numbers for vessels owned by military
personnel on active duty in Florida are valid in Florida until
the expiration date, after which the vessels must be registered in the state of Florida.

My Boat US policy limited my cruising to the Chesapeake when that is where I usually sailed. They would not cover me in Florida unless I notified them and paid additional premium to cover extended cruising areas. You can register your vessel in Florida and still maintain an address and domicile elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not if you have owned and used the boat for more than 6 months... The only way to avoid that is to buy in a state without sales tax, and keep the boat registered there for some time..
That may be true for some states, but it is not true for many. for example MA demands a use tax regardless of how long a new resident has owned a boat, less any sales tax paid to reciprocating state. And perhaps most relevant to this thread, Florida does not offer that exemption to their use tax...http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

EDIT: bite my tongue, my comment should only apply to MA which is my only personal experience, the Florida statue if read carefully, seems to have the 6 months out MA used to have...

Last edited by sailingfool; 01-24-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

And this is another way to pass through FLA and not get screwed if you're on your way elsewhere.

Personally, I have no interest in FLA.

Quote:
Florida’s Safe Harbor Act
If sales or use tax has not been paid on a boat, the boat is exempt from tax if it remains in this state for a maximum of 20 days in any calendar year. The 20-day period is calculated from the date of first dockage or slippage at a registered facility that rents dockage or slippage space in this state.
If a boat enters Florida for repairs or modifications and is placed in a registered repair facility, it may stay without taxation until the repairs are completed. The 20-day period stops while the vessel is undergoing repair. Once the repairs are complete, the owner has the balance of the 20 days to remove the boat from Florida.
Old 01-24-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
That may be true for some states, but it is not true for many. for example MA demands a use tax regardless of how long a new resident has owned a boat, less any sales tax paid to reciprocating state. And perhaps most relevant to this thread, Florida does not offer that exemption to their use tax...http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf
Yep, some states demand their pound and a half of flesh (inflation, you know) regardless of how long you have owned your boat. Florida does not. In the document that you linked to it specifically says that use tax is due on boats "brought into Florida within 6 months from the date of purchase."

As a U.S. citizen, if you buy your boat in some other state, pay the applicable sales tax there (even if that is nothing), keep and use the boat there for more than 6 months, and then move the boat to Florida, you will owe NO sales or use tax in Florida.
Old 01-24-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
That may be true for some states, but it is not true for many. for example MA demands a use tax regardless of how long a new resident has owned a boat
That's very true. NH resident kept a boat in Newburyport for 15 years, homeport documented out of NH. I just figured like most things, cost of doing business.
Old 01-24-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yep, some states demand their pound and a half of flesh (inflation, you know) regardless of how long you have owned your boat. Florida does not. In the document that you linked to it specifically says that use tax is due on boats "brought into Florida within 6 months from the date of purchase."
As a U.S. citizen, if you buy your boat in some other state, pay the applicable sales tax there (even if that is nothing), keep and use the boat there for more than 6 months, and then move the boat to Florida, you will owe NO sales or use tax in Florida.

It all comes down to the words; "use tax" which is not sales tax or registration fees. It is a tax ALL pleasure vessels (I have commercial fishing on my document so I may be exempt?) must pay to use Fla waters, period. However, as noted above if you don't have an encounter with some sort of law enforcement who puts the date on a legal paper, then no one will have any idea of your date of entry. So 90 days could turn into years.
For those of you who wonder why some of us do not want to pay, especially for infrastructure services we won't use to any degree (you certainly aren't going to get any help from the Fla marine police at 3am in an emergency, but you can get a ticket 24/7), imagine you and your family driving from the east coast to the west coast. Every time you get out of the car someone is going to walk up to you and charge you a fee. If you are at a service station, you will get an extra tax on your gas because you have out of state plates and you must contribute to the roads you are driving on. Every motel you stay at will jack up the rates because you have out of state plates. Well Fla wraps all that up into a use tax and we get absolutely nothing from the state that wasn't already in place before we got there and we probably paid for most of it anyway through the federal government.
In bypassing Fla, most of us will really only be hurting the businesses that we would have spent our money in but IMO we won't really be missing much; I can't think of any place there I would really want to go back to visit.
Ft Lauderdale before they kicked out the spring breakers, the Keys before the "got mines" and the developers took over and St Augustine, when it was a sleepy little town on the ICW, ah, but they are all long gone.
Old 01-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Alright, now I am confused...

My boat is documented AND registered in RI. I have a little sticker on the bow that proves it!. However, RI does not require registration numbers for federally documented boats. So how is FL going to know that I am registered in another state? Am I likely to be harassed by the tax man?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems