Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
Just returned from this trip. Thanks for input from folks on here. The trip was a breeze, never had a single issue with anything. The boat was perfect for the two of us. We did a lot of sailing so sometimes arrived places a little later then recommended, but usually found we could drop the hook for an hour or less and someone would leave a mooring, so we never spent the night that way. The swell was up the first two days so we had to rearrange our schedule a bit, but it was not an issue, we got everywhere so quickly. I think the highlight sailing was the reach from Leverick to Jost Van Dyke - great wind and big, long, rolling swells - much different type of sea than we get on the Great Lakes (and much more comfortable). I can definitely see returning to this cruising ground in the future.
We're taking a 36i with Sunsail in a couple of weeks. Anything you'd recommend bringing that you didn't, or leaving behind if you brought it? This will be our first charter in the BVI's so any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
I'm pleased it all went well. We enjoyed the reach down to JVD as well.

My current sailing 'experience' seems to consist of writing very large checks to a yard for very little apparent progress. Maybe we should have stuck to chartering.....

Graham
Thank you! Ha ha, I'm new to boat ownership myself, and I can say, every dime I spent on this one week charter I couldn't help but think of in the context of the maintenance or upgrades that I'd have to forfeit on my own boat - work that was good for much more than a week!

But, living in Chicago the only way to indulge my passion more than a few short months a year is to cough up the airfare and charter fees somewhere warm
Old 03-18-2013

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

So glad everything went well for you. Chartering in the Caribbean is such a great way to get in some sailing during the dog days of winter! The memories are worth every penny.
Old 03-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
We're taking a 36i with Sunsail in a couple of weeks. Anything you'd recommend bringing that you didn't, or leaving behind if you brought it? This will be our first charter in the BVI's so any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
We're religious about wearing PFDs all the time. Our auto-inflatables are so small and comfortable that it's just second-nature, like a seat belt. But we left them home because we wanted to keep everything in carry-ons and did not want to check a bag.

The life jackets on our Sunsail charter were huge, uncomfortable ocean-going quality, with leg straps that were virtually impossible to put on. We went the whole week without wearing them.

Next time we will bring our own PFDs, even if we need to check a bag. Go to this page, print it out, and take it to the airport with you. It supplies proof that your inflatable PFDs and compressed cartridges can go onto the plane without being confiscated. Scroll to the part where it says: Small compressed gas cartridges (Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-19-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We're religious about wearing PFDs all the time. Our auto-inflatables are so small and comfortable that it's just second-nature, like a seat belt. But we left them home because we wanted to keep everything in carry-ons and did not want to check a bag.

The life jackets on our Sunsail charter were huge, uncomfortable ocean-going quality, with leg straps that were virtually impossible to put on. We went the whole week without wearing them.

Next time we will bring our own PFDs, even if we need to check a bag. Go to this page, print it out, and take it to the airport with you. It supplies proof that your inflatable PFDs and compressed cartridges can go onto the plane without being confiscated. Scroll to the part where it says: Small compressed gas cartridges (Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit)
It is actually up to the airline. They MAY carry the cylinders but they have the right to refuse to carry them.

It certaily helps to have the relevent paperwork to show to the baggage inspectors but it is clear that sometimes they say OK and sometimes not even for the same airline.

Perennial problem with crews flying into the Caribbean.
Old 03-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Next time we will bring our own PFDs, even if we need to check a bag.
You shouldn't have to check a bag. We took our inflatable PFDs, along with spare recharge kits, in our carry-ons when we chartered last November. We brought along a copy of the TSA sheet that mentions PFDs and spare cylinders are okay for carry-on, but didn't need them, as they did open and examine our bags, but did not ask questions when they saw what we were carrying.
Old 03-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You shouldn't have to check a bag...
I was referring to the fact that we did not have room for them in our carry-on bags. If/when I bring the PFDs in the future, I will carry them on so they're not subjected to an inspection without me present. But I might have to check a bag to make room for the PFD in my carry-on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-19-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post

Thanks
Hmmm... I always bring clothes pins, but found a large box on the boat this time, so it appears Sunsail provides while others don't.

You might want a pair of gloves for furling the jib, my one complaint about our boat was the the furling was really tough. I couldn't find anything wrong with the drum and it appeared to be a result of the furling line passing through numerous fairleads at tight angles to bring it up to the dog house instead of practically outboard next to the cockpit as is more common. I got a real nice burn pulling it in once.

With Horizon I've always had to supply my own handheld GPS. Our Sunsail 36i had a verynice built-in one, so don't bother if you feel you need one.

Another nice feature, the stereo has USB to accept an ipod, so you don't need some aux jack that plugs into the headphones, just the original usb data cable.

Bring a headlamp or a good flash light for dinghy rides at night. The two lights they provided us absolutely sucked.

I brought my own snorkel gear but Sunsail actually gives you all of it for free if you want it at the bast. It was perfectly fine stuff too for just swimming around a little at Cooper or Peter Island; the fins were real nice and the masks were good. Bring some baby shampoo to wash them and stop fogging.

If you have room for a small lantern or something for on deck you may want it. There is just a very small light provided; basically a DC adapter on one end and a tiny light bulb on the other, tied to the bimini. The bulb burned out halfway through our trip and they didn't supply extras on the boat so we sat in darkness everynight in the cockpit.

Flatware, knives, cups etc. that were provided were all adequate and there were plenty of each.

All I can think of right now, let me know if you have any other questions! Enjoy the trip.

Erik
Old 03-21-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
I'm pleased it all went well. We enjoyed the reach down to JVD as well.

My current sailing 'experience' seems to consist of writing very large checks to a yard for very little apparent progress. Maybe we should have stuck to chartering.....

Graham
I wise person once made the observation that "If it flies, floats or fornicates, it's cheaper to rent then to own." I'm happily married and own my boat. That probably makes me a slow learner.