Who from SailNet would you most like to meet in person? - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Who from SailNet would you most like to meet in person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
3 GPM pressure washer pumps often come on sale for under $300. Anything with ceramic plungers will do, and are far more strongly built than the ones they make for watermakers. Membranes I got a good deal on, but the prices for them have dropped a long way since. I welded up my own membrane housing out of 2/1/2 inch sch 40 stainless pipe, which fit the 540 GPD membranes perfectly. Then it's a a pre filtre from the hardware store, some hydraulic hose and a few other fittings, a V belt and pulleys off the engine.Not much to them.
Certainly not $4800 worth .
"Certainly not $4800 worth " REally? Considering all your expertise and efforts, like welding, which you did to accomplish that device, for someone without all that personal ability, money is the only "other way" to do it.

You're not valuing your skills high enough. :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
"Certainly not $4800 worth " REally? Considering all your expertise and efforts, like welding, which you did to accomplish that device, for someone without all that personal ability, money is the only "other way" to do it.

You're not valuing your skills high enough. :-)
I don't know. Welding doesn't cost much, 50-150$us/hr. Welding something as simple as Swain is writing about shouldn't take very long to do as long as you know what the design is and have it all marked out. Of course if you want the welder to do all the thinking for you (design) then sure it'll cost a lot of money, but if all s/he is doing is cutting where you say cut and welding, not so much.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I don't know. Welding doesn't cost much, 50-150$us/hr. Welding something as simple as Swain is writing about shouldn't take very long to do as long as you know what the design is and have it all marked out. Of course if you want the welder to do all the thinking for you (design) then sure it'll cost a lot of money, but if all s/he is doing is cutting where you say cut and welding, not so much.
You make a really good point. If you have it all cut up, designed out, and ready to weld, it shouldn't cost much at all to have someone do it. That also saves you the expense of buying the welding rig and rods.

I know Swain has a welder design in his book that you can apparently create using a car alternator, heavy gauge wire, a corkscrew, and an avacado but taking the mostly finished project to my local stainless welder has real appeal.

I think it's time I buy Swain's book. Odds are there is at least one piece of knowledge in there that will save me more than the cost of the book...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-09-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
You're not seeing the big picture.... It isn't just the act of welding, but all the items you knew to select to assemble, then being ready and able to put it all together including the welding portion, is way beyond the majority of people out there.

So, just because YOU can do this doesn't mean that everyone should expect to be able to, at the costs you are coming in at.

Not trying to make an argument, just pointing out most people aren't so "handy" and so knowledgable about the various resources available.
rugosa likes this.
Old 02-09-2013

captainbri is on a distinguished road

I have not been on the forum to long, I can say about anyone. Most people are very different online than face to face. I get along with about anyone as long as they are not to stuffy or pompous.

brb I have to go fire the butler it is 2am and he is not working.
Old 02-09-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
I have not been on the forum to long, I can say about anyone. Most people are very different online than face to face. I get along with about anyone as long as they are not to stuffy or pompous.

brb I have to go fire the butler it is 2am and he is not working.
I am not familiar with a "Butler". Is that a gas or oil stove?

Down
Old 02-10-2013

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

Gary - Travlineasy - The real deal, down to earth and seems to enjoy every day to the max.

Captain Aaron - Experience

Last edited by Leocat66; 02-10-2013 at 07:27 AM.