Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JonEisberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road
Any Hylas 46 owners here?

I am about to pull the trigger on one and would like to know if anyone here has this boat. I am specifically interested in how difficult it is managing the 7' draft and the 64+' mast height on the ICW. Seems like a catch 22 situation between needing low tide for bridges and high tide for depth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Any Hylas 46 owners here?

I looked at a Hylas 47 in Mass, last winter. Beautiful boat. Well made. The mast height and the draft dissuaded me eventually as I will be doing the ICW a lot as well as the Bahamas. Both really limit you.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-25-2013

coyotejack is on a distinguished road
Any Hylas 46 owners here?

I own a Hylas 42 that draws 8 feet and has a mast height of 68 feet. I have never sailed the intercostal but based on my west coast experience I would think this is not the best boat for you. It is however an awesome boat for blue water sailing!
Old 01-25-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

If I were you I would take a good hard look at my sailing plan. I draw 6 foot and often wish it were less. I have to anchor further out or not go to some places because of limitations.

It is a great boat but really would be happier on the left coast.
Old 01-25-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

I assisted some sailing lessons aboard a 46 two years ago, and the boat is wonderful...but the draft and mast height kept the new owners a lot further from Chesapeake places they wanted to visit, not much of a gunkholer and I would imagine the draft alone, with ICW shoaling, would make it a very anxious trip...I would vote for a favorable weather front and head outside, rather than the nerves of a two week float inside.

Mast height is another issue, and will also require very careful planning. Running softly aground is one thing...backtracking from a low fixed bridge would be another challenge.

Personally for an east coast based boat, I would look for shallower draft at least.
Old 01-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

To run such a boat down the Ditch, the air draft would concern me far more than a 7' keel... Few things are more nerve-wracking than trying to sneak under bridges with inches to spare, and the consequences of actually hitting one at the masthead are likely to be far worse than simply running aground...

Probably be a good idea to remove all the stuff at the masthead prior to the trip, but then of course you're running without windex/wind instruments, tricolor, vhf antenna above the masthead, etc... In any event, if you were gonna do the trip inside with that tall a rig, I'd suggest affixing a horizontal "feeler gauge" extending a few feet forward of the mast, with a little feeler a couple of inches higher than the ultimate height of your rig...

Bottom line, that boat is an ocean thoroughbred, it's meant to be sailed outside, not down the Ditch...

And, if you're headed to the Bahamas, a 7' draft will definitely be a restriction - but IMHO, not quite as much as many make it out to be... There are still PLENTY of great places you can get to...
olddog60 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013
Just Do It

Pirate007 is on a distinguished road

I am also interested in the Hylas 44-46 series as well Taswell-Passport-Liberty-Caliber series. Getting ready to retire in a few years and want to move aboard this year. I was a previous liveaboard in the late 80's on a center cockpit Gulfstar 50 and the wife wants the aft stateroom layout.

Having run the G-50 as well my current Bayfield 25 (3' draft) up and down the ICW from FL-MD a few times I agree with the comments below. If your cruising is going to be limited to east coast ICW and the Bahamas consider a catamaran!

I would like to ask you if you have a buyers agent or negotiating directly with the listing broker. I used to work in the marine electronics/electronic industry (now work in IT) and considered brokers as a good source of income but they did not provide much value other than to try to promote the sale as best possible which is their job to do so. Today I think that may be differant and considering the dollar investment, having an agent may be worth while considering the asking price to offer/sales price disparities in today's market.

So would you be so kind as to give us your opinion of using a buyers agent in todays market, were you able to get "sold boat comparisons, and what you have experienced as a listing to sales price discount percentage.

Thanks and good luck with whatever you buy - Just Do It!
Old 02-10-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

All good observations. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

I put an offer in today on a 46 with the shoal draft keel. Mast height is still a bit of an issue, but with the shoal draft I can attempt the bridges at low tide! With a deep keel and and a marginal mast it,s a catch 22.
Old 02-11-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I sailed a Hylas 46 from Newport RI to St Barths via Bermuda in 2007.

Nice solid boat, great galley layout.

The aft queen and the double pullman forward were unsleepable. It needs lee clothes!

The electric heads use fresh water - I am not a big fan of fouling my fresh water supply. We also developed a fresh water leak, making the heads unusable.

This one also had in-mast furling - enough said.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)