Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Re: St. Thomas to Tortola Ferry questions

If you're chartering from Sunsail, you can get a discount if you prepay. We spent the first night on St Thomas so no issues with missing the last ferry and getting stranded. As others have pointed out, there is always a risk of missing your non-refundable, prepaid ferry and having to pay again for a different ferry company. We had plenty of time -- flew in to STT on Thursday afternoon and ferried over to Tortola on Friday afternoon on the Roadtown Fast Ferry -- everything went very smoothly. I think the key is to just allow plenty of time. If you choose to prepay, make certain your Sunsail invoice reflects it and that you have a copy with you -- you won't have a physical ticket which some people have reported as causing difficulties. 'Island time' is real -- it's not complete chaos, but you need to allow time and have patience if you need to wait. Ferry departure times are '...ish', like 2:30ish, 4:00ish... All ferry schedules can be found here.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Part of our group is scheduled to arrive at 12:30 and the rest of us 2pm. I think we will wait and not buy tickets in advance.

Thanks for all your advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-24-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Part of our group is scheduled to arrive at 12:30 and the rest of us 2pm. I think we will wait and not buy tickets in advance.

Thanks for all your advice.
Restaurant on the second floor is 'decent', the balcony view of the bay is refreshing at times - enjoy the wait.
Old 01-24-2013

jostalli is on a distinguished road

I've been there 5 times. The last time (two months ago) our later group got creative and asked some taxi guys for a recommendation for a private boat to take them to Tortola. 20 minutes later they were all in some local's boat with a one way charge that worked out to about $10 per person.

If you don't want to do that then I agree with the others about not purchasing in advance. There will be room. Just look online to see the schedules of the ferry companies. Don't buy a return ticket.
Old 01-26-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Restaurant on the second floor is 'decent', the balcony view of the bay is refreshing at times - enjoy the wait.
It's called the Petite Pump Room. There are about 6 other restaurants about 200yds away in an area called Frenchtown. If you want options, walk straight out of the ferry dock towards the main road, turn left walk to the traffic signal adjacent to a Post Office, turn left again past McDonalds, you will then see a bunch of connected places to eat. Deli, Pie Whole pizza (75 Belgian Beers), Looney Bien (Mexican), Bella Blue, Hook Line Sinker, Betsy's...
Old 01-28-2013

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road

At some point in March 2013, American Eagle will STOP flying into Tortola/ Beef Island AP. When this occurs, you may see lots more people making St. Thomas the connect point.

This will probably make an even bad situation worse.

I often use the ferry but hate them, VERY noisy and the smell of burned fuel is all over them. The only decent boats are the Cats but they are fewer than the old soon to be hulks that you will probably be forced to use.

I make it a point to pick up any Friends of mine who come down at Redhook. A nights "rest" at the marina's bars and Molly Malone's and the Love Shack make up for the delay in arriving.... but their trip is far nicer.... AND NO, I can not pick up a load of people i do not know.... I'll be in the Leewards by that time anyway
Old 01-28-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I can't predict whether there may be future capacity issues if air service is cut back, but I'll second the suggestion to buy at the gate when you see which company has a boat ready to leave. And don't buy a round trip ticket, because that locks you in to the same company coming back.

Our return from Tortola was almost ruined by a boat that never showed up. There were no boats there yet when we arrived at Road Town Ferry Dock, but they were scheduled to leave at 9:30 (Native Sun), 9:45 (Fast Ferry?) and 10:00 (some third company). We bought tickets for the 9:30 one since it was first and the bag boy "guaranteed" it would get to STT first (lol - what a crock!), but that boat never showed up. After the 9:45 boat had left, and the 10:00 one had loaded all its passengers, they took pity on the remaining stranded people waiting for Native Son and accepted our tickets on their boat. So we got there without having to re-purchase more tickets. And I never did see the Native Son boat on the way to STT.

A couple more things others have not pointed out:

Don't assume that the first boat to leave will get there first. It's not so much the speed of the boat (in my 4 trips they all ran about 25 kts on my GPS), but mostly whether it makes an interim stop at West End or goes straight to the final destination. But good luck getting a straight answer if you ask about that! Most of your questions will result in "island double-talk" in response. Their accents get real thick when they don't want to answer your question.

Finally, at the Road Town ferry terminal, you will be swarmed by "baggage assistants" trying to take your luggage the second you get out of the taxi. They know that once they have your luggage you're locked into their boat. (Though I suspect they'd give it back to you if you demanded it.) Don't give your luggage to them until you've settled down and decided which boat you're buying tickets for. I do not believe that they're dishonest - they're just aggressively trying to get your business.
FarCry likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)