SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do you do on a rainy day in paradise?

7K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  wind_magic 
#1 ·
Currently sitting in Rock Sound, Eleuthra the clouds have moved in and the rain has begun as the front is coming through...With the long range antenna I am lucky to have found an open, free wifi signal...so Im spending my day with some rum, good tunes on the radio, and free internet....How do you spend your rainy days aboard???

#2 ·
Currently sitting in Rock Sound, Eleuthra the clouds have moved in and the rain has begun as the front is coming through... With the long range antenna I am lucky to have found an open, free wifi signal...so Im spending my day with some rum, good tunes on the radio, and free internet....How do you spend your rainy days aboard???
First order of business, would be to make preparations to collect some of that free Bahamian rainwater...

I'd add a good book to the mix, leave the rum until after 1700, and probably toss in a nap, or two... Think about some boat projects/chores that I might get around to the next time it rains... And, of course, doing what you're doing, farting around on the internet, a good signal in that neighborhood is not always easy to come by...

I love Rock Sound, and it's a good spot to ride out a front... You know about the supermarket there, right? One of the nicest places to provision in all of the Bahamas...

You're lucky to be there now, enjoy... How many other boats there now?

#4 ·
A dark & stormy, a good book and an afternoon nap.

When the guilt hits about boat projects you should be doing administer another dark & stormy.

Reactions: bljones
#5 ·
A good book in the v-berth or perhaps a game of cribbage with one of the kids. I might be forced to open a bottle of wine if the rain looked like it was going to last... If it's rainy and cool (winter), then I would be in the galley working on a special meal. I just got back from 25 days of cruising the coast of Rio and we had about 5 or 6 days of overcast and rain at the end. It didn't stop us from swimming, snorkeling and being outside. In the winter though, the rain is not so inviting...

+1 on collecting the free water!

#8 ·
In my case I fixed the leaks, all three of them, early on. Now, when it's raining, which has been really rare down here, I get the arranger keyboard out of the case, plug in the inverter, plug in the keyboard, and learn some new songs. Just started performing Tequila Sunrise, Rio De Janeiro Blue and Down In Paradise. Did those on two cold (under 72) evenings.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

#11 ·
How interesting...with the exception of a few, just about everything mentioned was done that day...@Sailordave: i'm not single I just thought that activity was a given...we all seem to be on the same page when it comes to a wet one....booze, music, sex, sleep and maybe a little work

#14 ·
Today is an overcast, damp, humid, nasty day here in Paradise (Marathon, Florida). Since I've already fixed all the leaks, repaired just about everything that I can repair, I think I'll just take a walk before the rains hit and pretty much do nothing. Doing nothing is a neat thing to do, especially when you're down here in the sub-tropics. I can sit out on the deck and watch the young ladies walk down the dock, might even take a nap, which is also considered an activity while liging in Paradise. ;)

Last night, I played music and sang to about 150 to 175 people that are also in what is known as the temporary mode down here. Some will spend the entire winter here, while others will just spend a couple weeks to a month or more in the temporary mode, time spent here before heading to another island, mainly the Bahamas. There were several other musicians here, all of which got a chance to perform for the same audience. It was a fun evening, and here in Paradise, it's something that takes place every Saturday night (weather permitting). Keep in mind that nearly all activities take place outdoors, so weather is a big determining factor.

Cheers from an old man currently living in Paradise,

#18 ·
here in pair a dice it usually only rains in summer--at which time i am riding a dock, as storms in summer here have names and bad dispositions.

when i ride dock, which is only in summer months, i have air conditioning, hot running water(from sky) and tarps on topsides so i dont get the wood part of my boat soaked with fresh water.....and i over use the interwebz and read books and walk around in rain , once the wind lays down.....

#25 ·
Thus far movies havn't made it on board. We have the capability but somehow not the desire. Maybe that will change in time.

Other than that rainy days are for sitting and watching the rain fall, maybe the odd nap, eating and reading.

hmmm ... replace watching the rain fall with the occasional swm and that's what we do on sunny days ....

#28 ·
Serendipitous, There's something I just don't understand. The photo you posted is great, a drop-dead, gorgeous young lady in the arms of a young man. And you want to watch movies. Wow! Things have really changed since I was a young man.

Cheers,

Gary
Well, you can only stay in bed for so long after you have to move on to other activities. ;)

But now I'm curious to hear about YOUR days as a young man! (spare some of the details though)

Jessica

#32 ·
Back then, about the same time John Paul Jones joined the Navy, we didn't have PCs, Cellular phones, I-Pads, etc... Consequently, on those rainy days, when I was your age, and living ashore, my loving spouse and I would go bowling, go to an indoor archery range, then come home, clean up, go to a great restaurant/nite-club, have a wonderful dinner and dance the night away, often getting home at 2 a.m. or later.

If it snowed, we frequently would go sledding, tried skiing once, but in the mid-Atlantic region near Baltimore, the slopes were mainly glare ice and you were easily injured.

If the weather wasn't too cold, but drizzling rain, scuba diving wasn't out of the question, wearing a full wet suit and diving near the old Chesapeake Bay Bridge span where monster oysters were found among the bridge pilings. Some of the oysters were so big you had to cut them into quarters in order to slurp them with hot sauce. :) :) :)

Prior to getting married, well, I won't elaborate on those days, but damned, they were sure a lot of fun - especially if it was raining. ;)

Cheers,

#30 ·
Rainy Day Chores!

Currently sitting in Rock Sound, Eleuthra the clouds have moved in and the rain has begun as the front is coming through...

......How do you spend your rainy days aboard???
Scrub down and get salt off the decks, anchor rode, dinghy... Wipe down the standing rigging, wash out the running rigging... Collect rainwater off the main in a bucket and take "bucket baths" in the cockpit... Have a cold one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.