Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013

Joel H. is on a distinguished road
Solent Stay Ideas-Possible hairbrained ideas

I've been thinking recently along the lines of installing a removable Solent Stay. I'm interested in doing this for all the usual reasons including getting some hank-on sails I have into action without fitting them for, or loading them on and off of, my furler unit. So, in that vein, I've worked out a few things:
-Dyneema stay.
-Gibbs "T-Ball" mast fitting w/eye.
-Folding padeyes for deck fittings.
-various fittings for below deck tension support.
And finally! -Antal "low friction rings" for what, (lacking better words for what I've seen in some diagrams on-line!), I'm calling a "cascading tensioner system".

So, anyway while I was going over these things in my head I hit on this. See photos.

Believe me, I realize, this may be proof that I have to much fee time, (and am quite possibly crazy!), but...........

What if the "Antal Ring cascade tensioner" were inverted, so that the final purchase, (the bitter end), of the tensioner was directed up, and fitted with a snap shackle, to became the tack-point of the jib?
Therefore, the loose tensioner and stay can be pulled foreword and, with another snap shackle, attached to the deck mounted padeye. Then the jib tack can be snap shackled to the end/tack-point of the system and hanked on the stay, (obviously this could also be done ahead of time). Finally, when the jib is raised and luff tensioned, the pull on the tack will tension the Solent Stay!!!
Admittedly, the power and length of the cascade might have to be experimented with to get the proper ratio of stay tension to luff tension, as well as tack height above deck.
OR:
Also what might be possible would be to install some kind of stopper in the last line of the tensioner(as shown),to limit stay tension and allow for separate luff tensioning.
So, what do you think?
Joel Heberlein

P.S. If you feel the urge to roll your eyes, or giggle uncontrollably, I won't hold it against you.
P.S. If it hasn't been done before, and it works, I'm claiming and naming it.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Solent Stay Ideas-Possible hairbrained ideas

Looks like you're intending to tension both the solent stay and the luff of the sail with the same tackle? Not too sure that will work out real well.... Headstay sag and luff tension are two different parameters....and where does your tensioning system terminate?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2013

The mech. advantage afforded by the cascade could be adjusted by adding or removing links. So that less than desired luff tension could achieve proper stay tension. As shown there would need to be a stop installed in the cascade to limit/locking the stay to that tension. Therefore allowing for continued tensioning of the luff. All done through the halyard led aft.
Old 01-26-2013

Oh, I see now, you have a point in that the stop would actually have to be stop(s). One in each link of the cascade! That is an issue. But not unsurmountable I think.
Old 01-26-2013

ChuckA is on a distinguished road

Did you see the online feature "Convert Your Sloop to a Double-Headsail" posted on Sail Magazine this week?

I give up on this F$%^ing board. I tried editing that link 15 times. The link preview displays fine, but when I save it, Sailnet seems to insert a link on the word "Rig" that breaks the URL. I'll post the link on my Coastal Cafe blog if you want it check over there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE

Last edited by ChuckA; 01-26-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: tried to fix url & gave up (Grrrr!)
Old 01-26-2013

I'm not sure now I've been reading so much, both pro and con.
Was it Pro... or con?
Old 01-26-2013

Thanks Chuck.
But what do you think about the system?
Old 01-26-2013

ChuckA is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of being able to carry a smaller headsail without having to change the sail on the roller furling unit, but I would prefer to have the smaller sail in place, ready to deploy. I do a lot of single handing so minimizing the need to go on the foredeck sounds good to me. Space on the foredeck on my Pearson 28 is already tight, so I wonder if this would work for me. The Sail article has a pretty positive tone, but uses a 42-44 foot boat as the example. I would want to sail on a boat with a rig like this before trying an expensive experiment on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Old 01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I like the idea of being able to carry a smaller headsail I would want to sail on a boat with a rig like this before trying an expensive experiment on mine.
Reasonable approach.

I'm expecting that the biggest single piece expense will be the halyard w/ snapshackle.
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I like the idea of being able to carry a smaller headsail without having to change the sail on the roller furling unit, but I would prefer to have the smaller sail in place, ready to deploy. ........
That implies the stay is in place too.. making tacking the furling headsail much more problematic.. I think the appeal of the solent stay approach is its removability.

To the OP.. I think I'd run your dyneema stay through the hanks, shackle the head of the jib and the stay together, and attach your halyard to that. Tension the stay with the halyard, and then use your cascade setup as a luff tensioning jib cunningham. This would keep your 'stay' and the sail together (easy to do with dyneema) in its bag; simply clip to deck, clip to halyard, hoist, and tension. Should give you the best of both worlds.

The underdeck stay will be an important part of this system unless you can attach the the padeye to an existing adequate bulkhead via an angled chainplate...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)