Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
I really feel that trap a lot myself. In about 30 mins I'm interviewing my own replacement for a cushy, well paying IT job, and I don't have anything lined up for myself afterwards except some savings, a long list of boat projects, some destinations I want to sail to and a few ideas of alternate ways to earn income(writing, freelance IT, etc).

But I guess my fear of losing my good health and not being able to travel is greater than my fear of ending up not being able to make ends meet or find employment a year from now.

Still I always have that small voice saying "just stick it out in the corporate world and earn a little more money first..." I don't know if that voice would ever go away though.
LauderBoy,
It looks like I am in the same boat as yourself! I have a couple more months to go, but I also will be cutting the chains of Corporate IT life, for a couple of years cruising. It continues to be a hard decision, as stock benefits and a nice salary in the IT world are hard to give up. I have been at the same company for 28 years, so it is time for a change anyway. At 55, I feel that my window of crusing may be closing, if I don't cut the lines and go. I know too many business colleagues that had dreams of RVing, or snow skiing in their retirement, only to have either a medical issue or a personal event that crushed their dream. I feel that the regret of not going is higher than the salary lost for the next few years. I think that re-intenting yourself after so many years in a single vocation is probably healthy. My blog is www.MokaKat.com, but I have been restricted in expressing too much information about my situation, as I want to stay employed until I choose not to be . Good luck with your adventure, and start a blog to share your experiences!
Ranthra likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Except for the damn vent, the whole system worked great. If anything, it worked too well, freezing stuff we did not want frozen until we learned to dial it way down. Used very little electricity, gave us plenty of real ice, cooled a lot of stuff extremely well. Thanks to the vacuum plates, we could close the vent and open the reefer breaker for 12-24 hours and it would still be cold! Like a thermos bottle, basically. It probably set me back around $4000 total, plus maybe 60 hours of labor, but it worked exceptionally well.
Wow that is amazing.
If you can come up with the website for the parts that would be helpful.
Old 01-31-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

So far we have gotten info on two systems that worked well.
Refrigerator and autohelm

I couldn't tell from the book how you would rate the airhead.
A bunch of women who were determined that they wouldn't be bothered to change old behaviors is obviously not a good test. They could have clogged a marine head and still blamed you.
So would you give it another try?
Old 01-31-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

TakeFive: I directly published it myself. Amazon pays a flat percentage of the price, plus something for each book borrowed (not sure exactly how much). My big cost was having someone do the graphics for the cover! I did the typesetting myself, after a lot of research and trial and error.

Amazon offers a great deal because a few years ago they generously (and wisely) decided not to "ghetoize" self-published books by setting up a separate "Indie Store" or something like that. That would have killed the opportunity in the cradle.

Major publishers, the kind that could get a book into Barnes & Noble, will not consider a new author unless the author already has a "built-in platform," i.e. they are already famous and several thousand people will buy the book because they recognize the author from a radio show, a TV show, the movies, the news, whatever. Since 1985 or so "professional managers" have been running the major publishing companies and they are not willing to invest in new writers as was the custom decades ago. They demand that EVERY book be profitable.

What makes self publishing attractive is that Amazon does not charge anything AND they provide a massively popular website where people can find your book. If new authors had to try to publicize their book from their own website or blog, it would be hopeless (unless they already have their platform!). It costs a lot of money and a lot of time to attract real traffic to a web site or blog (or a lot of luck) because there are so many millions of them.

Amazon reviews are vital! Everyone who has read and liked Breaking Seas, please consider writing a review on Amazon. That REALLY helps with a first book.

On a final note, this is not something where you're going to get rich. Between the cover art, proofreading and professional editing (just editing, not ghostwriting, which is something else) I was in the hole for about $4500 when the book came out 11/11/2012 and I am maybe 2/3 of the way to breakeven. As I said, not the road to riches. But with a moderately popular book, Amazon can provide a "trickle" income over several years.

Note also that there are hundreds of thousands of self-published books out each year, and something like 95-percent do not sell more than 200 copies.
Delta-T likes this.
Old 01-31-2013

David - I do recommend the Airhead, with two caveats. First, it only makes sense for a small crew, one or two. Practical Sailor did a review and they mentioned this too. The principle of the Airhead is that fecal material is mixed (via the crank handle) with dry peat and coupled with the small continuous airflow, the feces dries out before it can stink. This sounds dubious but it really does work: there is NO odor.

However, with three or more crew, it's pushing it. The more feces the higher the mixture ratio, the more dampness, the more likely you will have an odor. Plus, obviously, the unit is not designed for "Montezuma's Revenge!"

Then there is the exteror "piss bottle." Airhead may have re-designed this, but until you can confirm this, all crew must understand they CANNOT piss into the main container. That will certainly result in serious stink. Plus, someone has to empty the bottle. It is possible for females to piss directly into the bottle with a "special attachment." You should visit a boatshow for a demonstration (not a live demonstration!).

The advantages of the Airhead over a typical marine head, with hoses and a holding tank, are huge. It cannot clog! It requires no maintenance besides emptying and that's no big deal. When used properly, no odor. ALL marine heads of the wet sort DO stink, and there's nothing you can do about that. When feces decays in water, anaerobically, it stinks. No $15 a foot hose can solve that. Aerobic decay is odor free, hard to believe as that may be. When you empty it, it smells faintly like the garden department at Home Depot. Plus, even though the unit itself is somewhat larger than a basic marine head, because there is no hose, no holding tank and no vented loop or Y-valve, there is a significant weight-space-complexity savings.
Ranthra likes this.
Old 01-31-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Glen,
When you are selling a self published book on Amazon, who does the shipping? You or Amazon from their location? If Amazon ships, is the contractual obligation that hey hold your books in their warehouse on consignment?
Old 01-31-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Ok, bought, downloaded, and finished reading the book. It was an easy read.

I do have a comment about Glenn's self deprecation. He makes himself out to be a repugnant looking man, yet, if his website picture is any indication, I would say that he is vastly an over exaggerating. Imo, he is average, if not even a little above average, looking. In other words, not eye candy but hardly fugly, either.

As for setting out to "live the dream," and realizing it was not quite what he had in mind? Well, as Heinlein says, "Sure, the game's rigged. But if you don't play, you can't win." Afaics, at least he tried. More than tried, for that matter. In other words, what he did is hardly something to be ashamed of, or apologetic for.

Wrt the question of living aboard, working, and writing. Sure, it's feasible. That's what I'm doing. It really depends upon your needs (i.e, some people require more room to stretch out, etc). Otherwise put, everyone's needs are different. Btw, there are avail live aboard slips in SF Bay area. Though, I can see those dwindling as spring/summer & america's cup approach.

That said, in all, I found the read to be a fount of info wrt the sort of challenges that can arise when blue water sailing. And I applaud Glenn for not only embarking on his adventure but sharing it with others, as well.
Ranthra, glenndamato and Delta-T like this.
Old 01-31-2013

Thanks Shadow! Please note that the photo is a still from a documentary and it was shot by a professional cameraman. The documentary, Fatty, has not been distributed. It was a project I undertook as an expose of the American diet industry. In the film, I eat "as my grandparents ate" and give up all diets per se - I lost about 43 lbs, but temporarily.

Also, as described in the book, I am not really ugly, but SMALL. In a man, that is a bigger defect than ugliness, really. People have told me I actually look smaller than I am! I believe that is caused by narrow shoulders and having arms and legs shorter than my torso would dictate - in other words, out of proportion. I also take personal responsibility over the fact I am single and dateless: I just have no physical feelings toward fat women, and I do not want that to change - so I am not willing to "work at it." I'm fine with the way things are. I realize I am not "hot" to pretty women, and I'm fine with that too - I just had to learn not to waste time in pursuit of something that was not meant to be.

Hey, you're not charging me for therapy, are ya? ; > )

Last edited by glenndamato; 01-31-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013

George: Amazon ships (actually CreateSpace, which Amazon purchased).

CreateSpace is a print-on-demand service but they are very good: fast, cheap, and high quality. No "inventory" is purchased by the author. When someone orders a paperback copy of a CreateSpace book, Amazon prints it on demand. The cost of a book the size of Breaking Seas (very typical of a paperback) is a bit over $5. The quality is superb: exactly what you would find at Barnes & Noble, no cheap look or feel at all.

However, please note, CreateSpace has no "standards" with respect to cover art or typesetting. YOU upload the content of the book in pdf format, inside and outside. They print. Thus, the look of your book is 100-percent dependent on what you upload to them. Many people upload crappy covers and interiors and their books look like hell when printed. That is not the fault of CreateSpace.

Since this is print-on-demand, there is no inventory to pay for. Amazon (and CreateSpace) charge NOTHING. But keep in mind, unless you happen to be a skilled graphics artist, and you know how to typeset a book, you will need to farm out those jobs. I hired someone to do my cover from two photos I provided, and my typesetting I did myself to save $2800. The inside of a book is NOT an easy thing to do - it took me several weekends. It's one of those things that's harder than it looks. I used Apple's layout software called "Pages."

Hope that helps -
Old 02-01-2013

Sorry Dave, I just ordered it from the West Marine catalog. I think the name and brand was "Ardour-Babour cold machine" or something like that. I got it with the ventilation kit. Don't forget, a big reason our reefer worked so well is I went the whole nine yards and got the vacuum insulation plates. Let me do a google search and see if it gives me the company name.
davidpm likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to glenndamato For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-08-2013)