Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Tell whoever owns that sailboat at the end of the dock that they need to do a better job securing their halyards in a blow. Shameful.

Probably a newb. Heh-heh.
LOL! Good eye, there... Yeah, I'll bet that dumbass is still trying to figure out how that spare halyard got free...

Two days later, however, I managed to do something WAY dumber...

I was leaving Francois early on a Sunday morning, flat calm, headed for another fjord around the corner, maybe 2 hours distant. It was gonna be calm, so I was just gonna tow my dinghy for the short trip...

So, I pull away from the dock aways, then stop the boat to bring in fenders and dock lines... All the dock lines had been doubled, and in removing them, I first had to untie the dink... I always use 2 separate painters when towing my dinghy any distance, and in clearing all the dock lines, I 'secured' them with a few casual wraps around the stern cleat, and continued deflating the fenders, and stowing all my gear... You can likely guess where this story is going... (grin)

Ready to get going again, put the engine in gear, set the autopilot, and jump down below to brew some coffee... Only my second of the morning, so I'm still half asleep... After about 5 minutes, however, something doesn't "feel right"... I'm looking around, admiring the beautiful view astern, when it finally dawns on me - something is missing...

The morning was so still, my tender had probably not moved more than a few yards from where my half-assed 'temporary' wrap around the cleat had eventually slipped free, and set it adrift... I sheepishly returned to the scene of the crime, half-wishing my stupidity had been concealed by fog, instead of happening in the clear light of such a beautiful day... I have no doubt, within an hour or two at most, every single one of the 130 residents of Francois had already had a good chuckle as the story the incompetence of some dumb American yachtie had spread through the community...

I'll bet someone even said something like, "We never used to see clowns like this up here, back in the days before GPS enabled them to find their way here to begin with..." (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'll bet someone even said something like, "We never used to see clowns like this up here, back in the days before GPS enabled them to find their way here to begin with..." (grin)

I wish all had your ability to give a good laugh at their own mistakes. The world would be a far better place.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-01-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where were these photos taken?
Old 02-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
LOL! Good eye, there... Yeah, I'll bet that dumbass is still trying to figure out how that spare halyard got free...

Two days later, however, I managed to do something WAY dumber...

I was leaving Francois early on a Sunday morning, flat calm, headed for another fjord around the corner, maybe 2 hours distant. It was gonna be calm, so I was just gonna tow my dinghy for the short trip...

So, I pull away from the dock aways, then stop the boat to bring in fenders and dock lines... All the dock lines had been doubled, and in removing them, I first had to untie the dink... I always use 2 separate painters when towing my dinghy any distance, and in clearing all the dock lines, I 'secured' them with a few casual wraps around the stern cleat, and continued deflating the fenders, and stowing all my gear... You can likely guess where this story is going... (grin)

Ready to get going again, put the engine in gear, set the autopilot, and jump down below to brew some coffee... Only my second of the morning, so I'm still half asleep... After about 5 minutes, however, something doesn't "feel right"... I'm looking around, admiring the beautiful view astern, when it finally dawns on me - something is missing...

The morning was so still, my tender had probably not moved more than a few yards from where my half-assed 'temporary' wrap around the cleat had eventually slipped free, and set it adrift... I sheepishly returned to the scene of the crime, half-wishing my stupidity had been concealed by fog, instead of happening in the clear light of such a beautiful day... I have no doubt, within an hour or two at most, every single one of the 130 residents of Francois had already had a good chuckle as the story the incompetence of some dumb American yachtie had spread through the community...

You're alright JonE. Though I like busting your chops sometimes - I wanna sail like you when I grow up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Where were these photos taken?
This was Francois (pronounced France-way), one of the last still-thriving outports along the south coast of Newfoundland...

Old 02-01-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Glenn: just ordered your book last night. Given the hub-bub here, I can't wait to read it.
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-01-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

By the way it is under 10 bucks on Barns and Noble on line for the paper version, but there is no nook version. Have you thought about offering an epub version directly? I have a nook but will buy the kindle version and read it on my phone. Sounds interesting.

JonEisberg that looks like an amazing place, bet there summer is not very long though! Did you take the photos? The lighting is beautiful and the detail is amazing.
Old 02-01-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This was Francois (pronounced France-way), one of the last still-thriving outports along the south coast of Newfoundland...

Looks amazing!

I read about it a little bit online, the blurb I read indicated the population was < 150 people! How do they take to visitors?
Old 02-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

OK back to lessons from the book.
You mentioned a water maker I believe only in passing.
Did you install it. If so which one and did it work as expected?
Old 02-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Portand Pudgy
Obviously not for four people but what about two?
I don't belive it is acceptable for racing requirements