Newbe with no experience buys big boat - Page 11 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree272Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #101  
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 116 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Tell whoever owns that sailboat at the end of the dock that they need to do a better job securing their halyards in a blow. Shameful.

Probably a newb. Heh-heh.
LOL! Good eye, there... Yeah, I'll bet that dumbass is still trying to figure out how that spare halyard got free...

Two days later, however, I managed to do something WAY dumber...

I was leaving Francois early on a Sunday morning, flat calm, headed for another fjord around the corner, maybe 2 hours distant. It was gonna be calm, so I was just gonna tow my dinghy for the short trip...

So, I pull away from the dock aways, then stop the boat to bring in fenders and dock lines... All the dock lines had been doubled, and in removing them, I first had to untie the dink... I always use 2 separate painters when towing my dinghy any distance, and in clearing all the dock lines, I 'secured' them with a few casual wraps around the stern cleat, and continued deflating the fenders, and stowing all my gear... You can likely guess where this story is going... (grin)

Ready to get going again, put the engine in gear, set the autopilot, and jump down below to brew some coffee... Only my second of the morning, so I'm still half asleep... After about 5 minutes, however, something doesn't "feel right"... I'm looking around, admiring the beautiful view astern, when it finally dawns on me - something is missing...

The morning was so still, my tender had probably not moved more than a few yards from where my half-assed 'temporary' wrap around the cleat had eventually slipped free, and set it adrift... I sheepishly returned to the scene of the crime, half-wishing my stupidity had been concealed by fog, instead of happening in the clear light of such a beautiful day... I have no doubt, within an hour or two at most, every single one of the 130 residents of Francois had already had a good chuckle as the story the incompetence of some dumb American yachtie had spread through the community...

I'll bet someone even said something like, "We never used to see clowns like this up here, back in the days before GPS enabled them to find their way here to begin with..." (grin)


Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #102  
Old 02-01-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,164
Thanks: 21
Thanked 95 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
...
I'll bet someone even said something like, "We never used to see clowns like this up here, back in the days before GPS enabled them to find their way here to begin with..." (grin)

...


I wish all had your ability to give a good laugh at their own mistakes. The world would be a far better place.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #103  
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 295
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Where were these photos taken?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #104  
Old 02-01-2013
smackdaddy's Avatar
Last Man Standing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,032
Thanks: 82
Thanked 76 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 9
smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
LOL! Good eye, there... Yeah, I'll bet that dumbass is still trying to figure out how that spare halyard got free...

Two days later, however, I managed to do something WAY dumber...

I was leaving Francois early on a Sunday morning, flat calm, headed for another fjord around the corner, maybe 2 hours distant. It was gonna be calm, so I was just gonna tow my dinghy for the short trip...

So, I pull away from the dock aways, then stop the boat to bring in fenders and dock lines... All the dock lines had been doubled, and in removing them, I first had to untie the dink... I always use 2 separate painters when towing my dinghy any distance, and in clearing all the dock lines, I 'secured' them with a few casual wraps around the stern cleat, and continued deflating the fenders, and stowing all my gear... You can likely guess where this story is going... (grin)

Ready to get going again, put the engine in gear, set the autopilot, and jump down below to brew some coffee... Only my second of the morning, so I'm still half asleep... After about 5 minutes, however, something doesn't "feel right"... I'm looking around, admiring the beautiful view astern, when it finally dawns on me - something is missing...

The morning was so still, my tender had probably not moved more than a few yards from where my half-assed 'temporary' wrap around the cleat had eventually slipped free, and set it adrift... I sheepishly returned to the scene of the crime, half-wishing my stupidity had been concealed by fog, instead of happening in the clear light of such a beautiful day... I have no doubt, within an hour or two at most, every single one of the 130 residents of Francois had already had a good chuckle as the story the incompetence of some dumb American yachtie had spread through the community...

I'll bet someone even said something like, "We never used to see clowns like this up here, back in the days before GPS enabled them to find their way here to begin with..." (grin)
You're alright JonE. Though I like busting your chops sometimes - I wanna sail like you when I grow up.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #105  
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 116 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Where were these photos taken?
This was Francois (pronounced France-way), one of the last still-thriving outports along the south coast of Newfoundland...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #106  
Old 02-01-2013
mstern's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 682
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 13
mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Glenn: just ordered your book last night. Given the hub-bub here, I can't wait to read it.
glenndamato likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #107  
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 1,934
Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 8
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

By the way it is under 10 bucks on Barns and Noble on line for the paper version, but there is no nook version. Have you thought about offering an epub version directly? I have a nook but will buy the kindle version and read it on my phone. Sounds interesting.

JonEisberg that looks like an amazing place, bet there summer is not very long though! Did you take the photos? The lighting is beautiful and the detail is amazing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #108  
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 295
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
This was Francois (pronounced France-way), one of the last still-thriving outports along the south coast of Newfoundland...

Looks amazing!

I read about it a little bit online, the blurb I read indicated the population was < 150 people! How do they take to visitors?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #109  
Old 02-01-2013
davidpm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,679
Thanks: 165
Thanked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 7
davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

OK back to lessons from the book.
You mentioned a water maker I believe only in passing.
Did you install it. If so which one and did it work as expected?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #110  
Old 02-01-2013
davidpm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,679
Thanks: 165
Thanked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 7
davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Portand Pudgy
Obviously not for four people but what about two?
I don't belive it is acceptable for racing requirements
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping bbremer10 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 85 04-18-2013 12:34 AM
Thomaston boat builder buys foreclosed-on sailboat - Bangor Daily News NewsReader News Feeds 0 08-01-2012 08:40 PM
Newbe SKlem Introduce Yourself 4 09-22-2011 12:43 AM
5hortBu5 Buys a Boat 5hortBu5 General Discussion (sailing related) 4 09-07-2010 10:08 AM
Newbie buys a boat! gar37bic Columbia & Coronado 1 09-23-2007 09:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.