Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Yea, the Nook can be rooted, and one of the benefits is that it can load Kindle app and it is supposed to work well. I have not yet done it yet. I rooted my first Android phone, but have not done it to the newer one as I have not felt the need. I have thought of getting a used nook touch off Craig's list and figured I would see some cheap ones from kids that got them for Christmas but in my area they have not shown up yet.

I went through the first five chapters last night, really enjoyed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Silvio, what you have is called a "paperback book." It's what ancient peoples used to read before the advent of eBooks and iPads and whatnot. You can see more examples in the Smithsonian!
Silvio likes this.
Old 02-02-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Silvio, what you have is called a "paperback book." It's what ancient peoples used to read before the advent of eBooks and iPads and whatnot. You can see more examples in the Smithsonian!
Aaaaahh,!
I have heard of such things.

Glenn,
I did just receive the book. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I particularly like your "voice" that you write with.

Cheers!
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-02-2013
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

You know you're an avid Kindle (or other ebook) reader when you pick up an actual book...and while reading....you come across an unfamiliar word.... you touch it waiting for it to highlight so you can look it up.....

Silvio, Magnolia and glenndamato like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 02-02-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I'm up to Chapter 9. Nice read.

I design processes for manufacturing ink jet inks, so paper printing is my bread and butter. On-demand printers like CreateSpace are moving ink jet technology, so I need to root for them.

My oldest son is "working for the enemy" in his Kindle job at Amazon.

However, I REALLY hope that the upcoming Chapman 67 is released in digital form. That thing is too big to lug around.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-02-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I do have another question for Glenn: Did the "supporting characters" in your book know you were going to write a book about your experiences? Did you seek their permission before publishing? If so, at what point did you approach them?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-02-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm up to Chapter 9. Nice read.

I design processes for manufacturing ink jet inks, so paper printing is my bread and butter. On-demand printers like CreateSpace are moving ink jet technology, so I need to root for them.
The on demand printer/binders are really neat technology. Politics and Prose in DC has one. I have yet to see it in action but I do enjoy looking at it while my wife browses.
Old 02-02-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

TakeFive: Joyce and Doug (not their real names) know about the book, but they have not responded since it was published. Joyce took the photo that was used to create the cover, and she is cool with my using it.

I also disguised the characters Megan, Richard and Loukia so they are not possible to track down. Characters from "InfoData" (not the real name of the company) and some of the characters from the marina have been disguised and combined too. Duffy was that man's real name, however - everything about him is the same as real life. Tweety and Jon and my brother Paul and his wife Katie and their three kids are in the book with their real names. All characters are accurate with respect to their age, appearance, gender, and personal characteristics.

In the US memoir writing is considered a form of free press, so it is not necessary to get someone's permission to include them in a book. However, libel laws still apply - no one was defamed in this book, of course.

It is always true (at least in the US) that you cannot publish a photo of another person for commercial purposes without their expressed permission. This is also strictly enforced. In order to keep this project as simple as possible, I decided early on not to publish anyone else's likeness. The only exception is "Karl," the German guy who went to the top of my mast to unfoul our jib. I don't think he'll have a problem with it!
Old 02-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
JonEisberg that looks like an amazing place, bet there summer is not very long though! Did you take the photos? The lighting is beautiful and the detail is amazing.
Yes, the pics are mine, thanks...

I'm not sure the season is that much shorter than a place like Maine, actually, the Gulf Stream has a considerable modifying effect on the climate of the south coast. It's certainly long enough to see quite a bit, however. On my trip up there a few summers ago, I didn't leave NJ until almost mid-July, and was back home by Labor Day, and that featured spending 5 days in Lunenberg riding out the passage of a tropical system, a week in the Magdalen Islands, and another 5 days exploring the Bras d' Or Lakes on the way back... Once you get up there, you can see a lot in a couple of weeks, things are pretty close together along the south coast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Looks amazing!

I read about it a little bit online, the blurb I read indicated the population was < 150 people! How do they take to visitors?
Everywhere I went, the locals were extremely welcoming, and very appreciative of the effort any cruiser will have made to get up there. Francois was one of the only spots that has a dock dedicated to transient visitors, most places you just come alongside the working wharf. This was one of the handful of times in Newfoundland I was in the company of another cruising boat...

As delightful as the inhabited outports are, however, what really fascinated me were the abandoned settlements... The south coast of Nfld has to be one of the best places anywhere, for one who loves exploring ghost towns from a boat... This is the once-thriving outport of Petites...

joebeach likes this.
Old 02-03-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

If we'd laid out for you (forum) exactly how much experience, training, and equipment we had and the condition of our boat many of you would have said that we couldn't do what we've already done.
That's OK.
The awful sh*t that we've been through before we bought this boat would have killed most of you.
MedSailor and smackdaddy like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.