Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Glen: my copy arrived yesterday. With Snowmageddon approaching, it looks like I may have more time than I'd like to dig in over the weekend. Looking forward to it!
glenndamato likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
If I can just generate an income stream outside of my regular work, I can afford to get something like a Catalina 36 around ten years old for cash (good deals now abound) and live aboard, if I can find a spot on the west coast, and then seasonally migrate between California, Mexico, Hawaii, maybe Puget/Seattle/Vancouver. Gotta have that income stream first, because I don't want to end up indigent (been there, done that).
This doesn't sound like a bad plan. I've spent the last few years switching my career out to something a little more flexible and it's been a change that's brought more security to my life. I can move around with the boat, pick up work wherever, freelance if I want, afford to not work for months at a time, etc. It's been pretty liberating.

As for the head, I've been using a Nature's Head for about 2 years and love it. No pumpouts, not much fuss. Having the "runs" isn't an issue, the compost actually needs some added water to it now and then. It tends to dry out(even in Florida) and needs some added water. But for some reason it's the added urine which is its bane. Probably because urine is sterile or something and it changes the bacterial process.

I've had a couple incidents where I didn't empty the liquids soon enough and it flowed back into the compost. It's not a fun thing, though in my case it was a pretty quick fix by taking it all out and using a garden hose on the thing. Glenn's experience though is the stuff nightmares are made of

I've never heard of people having issues with backflow due to boat heel. That's a first. I wonder if they've changed the designs since then. I know on my nature's head the solids trap door also acts to funnel the liquid up to the urine catch when it's closed. It's like a lip that keeps it all flowing forward. But even then that has me wondering about surface tension and whether that'd cause some to back under and down into the solids.

Heh, the stuff us boaters have to think about.
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-07-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

I've heard of Nature's Head as an alternative to Air Head. Not sure if competing companies or just two products from the same company.
Old 02-08-2013

SansaBoat is on a distinguished road

I, too, just finished Glenn's excellent book (at 1 am this morning!).

A great page-turner, and I think it would be greatly beneficial to all those (like me) that post something like "Thinking of buying a boat and going sailing..." on forums like this.

I'd also like to hear Joyce's side of things. As written, I'd have told her to shove off, but then again, when you need crew, you walk a fine line. The part that was unfair, in my opinion, was how she seemed to threaten finding another boat for the Ha Ha a number of times.

That would have p!ssed me off. If you commit to doing something, don't threaten to "walk" anytime something isn't to your liking. If she was in such demand, and knew so many other people in that Ha Ha, why wasn't she already on their boats???? Still - she seems like a person I'd sail with, and respect - as long as she didn't pull that demanding bullish_t. I, too, would have done that home-page reset on her laptop, then given her a big long speech about tolerance when she threw a hissy fit about it! Tolerance, Joyce, tolerance.

Thanks again, Glenn. Great read and I'll share it with my land-locked buddies. Anytime you find yourself in Colorado, Lobster dinner is on me!
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-08-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaBoat View Post
I, too, would have done that home-page reset on her laptop
The resetting of her browser home page was hilarious. As was the claim that her puter had been infected with a trojan.
Old 02-08-2013

Thanks for your comments, SansaBoat! I haven't been able to contact Joyce in a while, but she is aware of the book. She did teach me many, many things about sailing and planning that probably do not come out well or clearly in the book - plus she was very safety minded and serious about sailing (she had completed her USCG master's license requirements at the time except for the days at sea part). She did threaten to walk a couple of times, but she did show up when she needed to, which is much better than people who do the opposite, right?

Thanks for the invite! Even if lobster (LOL!)

Following seas,

Glenn
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just finished this book.

What a fun read. Every couple of months someone asks if they can buy a boat with no experience and do some serious cruising. Not something I would do but everyone is different.

This guy did it and really barred his soul about what worked and what didn't work. I'm going to try to get him to join this forum so you animals can tear him up as is your custom.
Ouch! It hurts because it's true. I'd like to think that I at least occasionally feed the new sailors with no experience. Well, at least the ones that don't seem like they're about to imminently kill themselves.

Why? Because I have to! In my early 20s I bought a "custom" wooden boat built in 1969 that was donated by the previous owner to the boat broker and had a bilge full of water and moved aboard. I lived on her, tried many times to sink her, and when my IT career died with the dot.com bust I took her sailing for 4.5 months while she had a 8 foot crack in the hull and nothing but underwater epoxy I stuck on with SCUBA gear to keep the water out.

What can I say, I'm a softy for those that dream big and think that you can leave now, with just about any old boat and don't really need pesky encumbrances like "money" or "experience" or "a seaworthy boat". Of course, I didn't try and cross any oceans on that boat, or with my (non)experience level at the time. That wouldn't have ended well....

On the topic of women and attraction, I must say I appreciate your candor Glenn and your insight into your own mind. Kiudos there! I remember once in college a professor asking us about "belief" and what we "believe in". For this point I'm about to make I think you could substitute the words "belief" and "attraction".

He asked us if we thought we came to our own beliefs ourselves or if it was "just something that happened" and that we actually had no control over our own beliefs. 100% of the class agreed that we were in charge of our beliefs. We weighed our choices and believed what we did for good reason!

He then challenged all of us, who were in charge of our own beliefs, to "believe" that the whiteboard was actually green. Not so easy.... Why can't we change our mind and believe it's green? Why can't we suddenly switch political affiliations, or believe or not believe in god? I suspect the same exercise works with attraction just as well.

I'll put in my order for the book tomorrow. Sounds like a good read. Besides, you're a sailor, you're self-published, and you're a sailnetter. Who better to buy a book from than that!

MedSailor

PS For advice about building a passive income stream, try advice from a fellow sailor/live-aboard that is doing it. The Bumfuzzles have written a book on the subject. I got it for Christmas, have read it twice and IT IS AWESOME. LINK--> Live on the Margin
glenndamato likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-09-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2013

Thanks MedSailor! That's quite a good looking ketch you have there!

Thanks for your support on Breaking Seas. One of my issues was that back then I was flush with some dot com cash - not enough to be able to buy a boat in good condition of course, but enough to buy one in "okay" condition and spend a lot of time and money "improving" the vessel. There was a fatal flaw that would have cost so much to fix it would hardly be worth it (mentioned in the book).

With respect to women and attraction, I don't agree that qualifies as a "belief" you can change. I think it's more of a predilection, almost like straight/gay/bi. I have changed my beliefs in the religious sense and the political sense - "switched" would be more descriptive - but I cannot imagine suddenly being PHYSICALLY attracted to women I am not at all physically attracted to now - the key word being physical. And the mental-emotional-personal non-physical stuff is not, for me, nearly enough to build a relationship on. I may be a pig, but for me it's physical attraction or singlehood. There are huge personal and financial advantages to being unattached that are downplayed in our society. Many people feel that everyone must be coupled-off and opinions to the contrary are suppressed or not treated seriously.

I will check out the Bummfuzzles margin book since you mentioned it. I must say, though, that at age 52, living with just a few dollars to my name has no appeal. The Pardy's have written a few books about inexpensive and simple cruising (no reefer for example) but that is to keep costs so low you DO have a nice cash cushion in the bank! People need to have something to fall back on, too, when they are at some point too old to cruise. I don't think it's cool to exhaust your resources sailing around in your 50's and 60's when most folks are still working and then, all of a sudden, at age, say, 68, when health problems become too serious to do ocean cruising (may be later for some people) all of a sudden become a charity burden on relatives and society in general in the medial sense or subsistence sense. Public nursing homes and VA hospitals are no fun at all.

See you around sail net!

Best regards,

Glenn
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Glenn,

I know I didn't illustrate the point nearly as well as my professor in college once did, but the point was that you can NOT change your own beliefs. It was an interesting discussion and quite an uncomfortable though for most of us. I intended to argue the point that we also can NOT easily just change what we're attracted to.

As for the bums they're no Annie Hill. :-) They never cooked a single meal until they had kids, and they bought a brand new catamaran to sail around the world the first time they did it. They do recommend lowing your living expenses some, but austere they are not!

Thanks for the compliment on the boat. She's a Formosa 41 and has good bones. They're a breed with known problems, but they've been around long enough that many of them have already had their problems fixed by someone else. Mine didn't have many "extras" on it, but I'm adding them slowly as time and funds allow.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-09-2013

Med: I don't know, probably depends on your exact definition of "belief," which can have some wide latitude. I know many folks who have come 180-degrees on their political beliefs and/or their religious beliefs. Your prof may explain that their "core" beliefs did not change, only how they perceived they should attain them.