Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Just finished this on my kindle.

The story is light and easy. I particularly liked the descriptions of sail gear, hardware and handling from Glenn's novice perspective, completely free from any sort of notions of superiority. He was able to break down some of this technical information and tell it like it is in simple terms.

The underlying premise of the story felt a little awkward and canned to me. Basically, the sailing adventure came about because Glenn is too unattractive to ever find a wife and have children (goal #1 in life), so he settles for buying a boat and going sailing (back up goal). He really belabors these points with a lot of detail about failed dating attempts, his unattractiveness, and his refusal to compromise his standards. To me, it seems like this was added to try and make the book more of a plot-driven story, but I don't think it was necessary.

Lastly, one of my big pet peeves with kindle edition books are the typos, and this edition had many. It also showed dashes (--) as hyphens (-) which made for some awkward sentences, especially since Glen uses a lot of dashes in his writing.

All in all, well worth the 3.99 on my Kindle and I do commend Glenn for writing a book that people are reading, which is extremely difficult in today's age of self publishing.
glenndamato likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road

Glenn - I thoroughly enjoyed the book and have recommended it to a number of friends.

Have you considered having the book reviewed by someone at Cruising Outpost, the old Latt & Att. magazine? I am sure that they could put a review of your book in the magazine.

Chris
davidpm and glenndamato like this.
Old 02-14-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your comments, caberg. You're right - I need to redo the Kindle formatting. The hard copy from CreateSpace is much better. I need to base the new Kindle edition on the pdf doc used by CreateSpace. No easy way to do that - the technology is quite new.

To clarify, it wasn't that I was "too ugly to get a mate," it was that I was "too short and fat to get a mate I would find appealing." Big difference! I don't think I'm ugly at all - but I have found (big surprise) pretty girls don't like fat guys the same height they are, at least if they're not millionaires.

I did feel this was vital to the story. First, if not for the repeated rejections I experienced in 2000 and 2001 (the drive-by rejection being an example) I would not have bought the boat. Second, I thought there was a nice degree of irony how my voyaging did not allow me to escape rejection, but instead sort of amplified it and even turned it around. To me, rejection and disappointment were intertwined with the core story of outfitting the vessel and actually making the voyage. I tried to be careful not to overdo the non-sailing part, but there will be differences of opinion as to how much was appropriate.

Best regards,

Glenn
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 02-14-2013

Manhattan: Glad you liked the book! Cruising Outposts? Let me check that out - thanks for the tip! Maybe it's still run by the old Poo Bah!

Best,

Glenn
Old 02-14-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Yeah. I spent my entire 30's trying to make myself into what society would consider "proper husband material" with a lot of failed dates and relationships to show for it. Three years back a couple weeks after kayaking down to Cayo Costa(with an ex girlfriend who had broken up with me months prior) I was on this date with a girl I had hit it off with on Match or OkCupid or some other site. The restaurant was too loud, she looked a little bored, and my mind kept wandering back to my Cayo trip and seeing this beautiful sailboat in the harbor. Over the last couple weeks I'd wondered what it'd be like living on that sailboat. It'd popped up in my head a lot and when this cute late 20-something thing kept talking on about this or that all I could think of was "I really don't want to be here".

It was this weird, strange almost depressing feeling that had this underlying "Now what the hell do I do with myself" undercurrent.

So I go home, surf Yachtworld, get a Match email from the girl saying the usual "You're not what I'm looking for, good luck.", barely read it, and that weekend I'm taking sailing lessons. One month later I threw most everything I owned away and moved into a hotel. A month after that I'm an owner of a 32ft sailboat and prepping her for moving aboard.

So Glenn's method of "starting out" sort of resonated with me. It's one of those life points where you hit this stark realization that "**** isn't going to work out like you planned", so you throw away a lot of who've you tried to be all those years and set off in a completely new direction.
Old 02-14-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
David: The survey did not pick up or test for leaks, and I probably would have said "I don't care, because I'm going to replace all the hatches and ports anyhow."

I noticed that even small amounts of rain (or even a heavy dew!) would immediately result in significant quantities of water entering below - and I am 100-percent sure it was not from condensation. I may be "all wet," but my rather thin theory was that the plastic deck core got saturated so any incoming leaks would push out moisture into the cabin, through the many hundreds of staples that punctured the inner cabin top glass.

Best,

Glenn
Sorry about worrying this leaky boat issue like a dog with a bone but since is ended up being one of two significant issues that ended the trip and was not apparent from the beginning I'm trying to extract as much useful information out of your experience as possible.
I'm sure none of us want to end up with a leaky boat and you surely don't want to either.

I'm very surprised that some of our more experienced boat repair people haven't commented on your use of 5200.

I have a theory that perhaps 5200 actually caused the boat to leak even more that it did before you "fixed" it.
5200 is an amazingly strong adhesive. If there are two parts sealed with 5200 on a deck and for any reason, even expansion and contraction due to two different materials, something has to give. The adhesive will not give, it is too strong, so another crack forms creating a worse leak than before.

The bedding compound that should be used is butal tape which never gets hard and never leaks but allows significant movement.

If you 5200 two pieces of fiberglass together then force them apart I believe that the 5200 will not fail first. The gelcoat or fiberglass itself will separate first.

Can any experienced boat repair people confirm this theory?
Mainesail, are you there?

Glenn if you contributed to causing leaks by improper use of space age adhesive I'm sure you would want to know about it.

Second

During your refit you said you replaced all the ports.
Did you remove everything from the deck, hand, rails, winches, tracks, everything and rebed them?

The reason I'm worrying this diagnosis is that re-bedding everything is something that is well known has to be done every 10 to 20 years or leaks will develop.

The hull-deck joint on the other hand will last as long as the boat if it was done right from the beginning as far as I know.
Ranthra likes this.
Old 02-14-2013

Great post, LauderBoy. I hear you. Me, I'm a shallow SOB. It's not that I'm ugly, it's that I don't want anyone remotely like me in terms of body type. "Not want" is not just a preference, like "I don't want strawberry ice crea, I'd rather have chocolate," it means I'm not attracted to them sexually, at all. To me, body size and shape are where sex appeal resides. And no one is going to change my mind by denouncing me as superficial. I'd much rather be called every name in the book than be legally trapped in something I really didn't want to begin with.

Men are forbidden to express these ideas. I'm glad to see the book spark these sorts of discussions!

Best,

Glenn
Old 02-14-2013

davidpm: No, I didn't rebed all deck hardware, but the list of deck hardware I did not rebed is short: three of the four teak handrails, the tracks, and hardware associated with the staysail. Keep in mind I haven't seen this boat in almost nine years, so I am remembering as best as I can but it may be imperfect.

The VOLUME of water getting below was what got me. It was not from the "big"holes: the two deck hatches and the ten new bronze ports. I forward deck hatch did not leak after it was properly adjusted. There were no clear, obvious entry points - the water was just "there," mainly appearing in lockers and the bilge, and the hull-deck joint is the only place I could think of, mainly because you can't directly see it at all in the DE38.

Tied up to the dock, during California's "dry" season (no significant rainfall), a heavy dew or a 15-min drizzle would NOT result in any wetness below. However, once the boat was "wet for the season" (after the first heavy rains in December), at that point even a heavy dew or a 15-min drizzle WOULD result in significant new wetness below: cushions, lockers, etc. This is why I came up with the "saturated foam core" theory.
Old 02-15-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm very surprised that some of our more experienced boat repair people haven't commented on your use of 5200.

5200 is an amazingly strong adhesive. If there are two parts sealed with 5200 on a deck and for any reason, even expansion and contraction due to two different materials, something has to give. The adhesive will not give, it is too strong, so another crack forms creating a worse leak than before.
Ok, I'll bite. 5200 had nothing to do with Glenn's problems. I've used over 3 CASES of 5200 in my day. Most of it was used below the waterline to keep water out of the seams of the hull of my 31' leaking lapstrake boat. The rest was used (since I bought it by the case) to bed hardware, seal hatches, fill in rotten spots in the deck, and spread on my toast.

5200 has all sorts of legends surrounding it, and few are deserved. My favorite is the tripe that was reproduced in a "West Advisor" article in a West Marine magazine about 5200 holding a keel on a sailboat. Tried that, twice, it's bollocks! (photos available on request). I can tell you that a bead of 5200 has the tensile and compression strength of a gummy-worm.

It's adhesion may be good, but it's still a rubbery flexible caulk. It will expand and contract, flex and all that. My boat's planks flexed quite a bit and the rubbery stuff stuck to the hull, flexed along with it, and didn't tear any wood out.

Most of the legend that separates 5200 from all the other polyurethanes is just ill-deserved folklore.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
davidpm:
The VOLUME of water getting below was what got me. It was not from the "big"holes: the two deck hatches and the ten new bronze ports. I forward deck hatch did not leak after it was properly adjusted. There were no clear, obvious entry points - the water was just "there," mainly appearing in lockers and the bilge, and the hull-deck joint is the only place I could think of, mainly because you can't directly see it at all in the DE38.
Leaks can be maddening, I've been there.
As far a volume goes it is amazing how much water can come in a small hole especially if it is under pressure.
I was in the gulf stream with a race boat with a retractable sprit. The minimal space between the sprit and hole it slid in was enough to make 7 of us have to bail with buckets.

The fact that the water was in lockers and you couldn't see anything leaking on the deck sure does sound like HD joint.
Bummer because there is no clear way to be sure that is not a problem on another boat.
glenndamato likes this.