Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

sea turtles mate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRedemption View Post
sea turtles mate
But I don't see any turtles, and I wouldn't say we're friends.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRedemption View Post
sea turtles mate
True - but you never see one hooking up with Gisele Bundchen. Just sayin'.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-16-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

What I learned is that my next boat is going to be of a far more modern design, and 10-15 years old at the most. The modern "tupperware" designs (Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina, etc) minimize hull penetrations and potential leak points and they probably figured out how to make a better H-D join than they did in the 1970's and 80's. I'm going to stay away from "classic" old boats, heavy displacements, full keels, and most importantly: do my own survey (in addition to hiring a professional) and focus on looking for telltale signs of interior leakage.
Silvio likes this.
Old 02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
True - but you never see one hooking up with Gisele Bundchen. Just sayin'.
Touche
The Following User Says Thank You to SirRedemption For This Useful Post:
radcat (12-09-2013)
Old 02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
What I learned is that my next boat is going to be of a far more modern design, and 10-15 years old at the most. The modern "tupperware" designs (Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina, etc) minimize hull penetrations and potential leak points and they probably figured out how to make a better H-D join than they did in the 1970's and 80's. I'm going to stay away from "classic" old boats, heavy displacements, full keels, and most importantly: do my own survey (in addition to hiring a professional) and focus on looking for telltale signs of interior leakage.
watch out for some of those newer boats. Most of the ones Ive been in were sinking and thus why I was there.... at 85 dollars an hour.

Laid up thin. too light for bad weather prone to the 'catalina smile' lots of thin teak wood veneered onto marine press wood that bubbles and flakes off when they inevitably encounter water damage

Newports are great examples of an overpriced poorly produced and cheaply made vessel that is real prone to sinking. Last one I worked on was due to the failure of the bilge switch... on the panel not the float switch. The teak wood floor was totaled. motor had to be pickled and removed.

Not to mention the mainsail block that failed in its few short years of time in California of all places.

Or a lot of these newer mega yachts. I was working on a 45 footer that when I would drop into the engine bay the hull would flex I could feel the stringers vibrate if I stepped heavy. That one had less than 150 hours on it less than 2 years old and the water jacket had failed and sucked salt into the turbo, totaled the turbo and went on the destroy the valves. Thousands out of pocket just so they could get it delivered to the people who were buying it from them.

starting to notice a trend here? You could say the same about old boat. Except for the fact that some of those same things are starting to be an issue.... yeah after 30-40 years not 2-10
MedSailor likes this.
Old 02-18-2013
Sailin the ditch.

The Garbone is on a distinguished road
Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Glenn,

Thanks you for the book. I just finished the Kindle version and found it thought provoking.

As a six year Navy vet and a basic sailing newbie I dove into the book with the thought of it being a good primer and in a way it was.

Here are a few lessons:

It has encouraged me to take my little learner boat outside as soon as I can, I need to see how it will handle swells before I commit to any multi week voyages.

Gadgets are over rated, I need to spend less time concerned with getting a nifty chart plotter and more time under sail practicing technique and knowing my rig.

Full keels suck as performers, I had a thought about it but now I know.

Watch the weather and plan the windows and alternates paths.

Airheads suck, just a glorified wag bag. Turning a valve and throwing a switch is much better than toting piss and poo, even if it smells good.

Thanks for the book, sorry the boat leaked. Sometimes you just get a dud. My suggestion is that next time you live on the beast at least a year on weekends and vacations before leaving the states. ;D
bljones and glenndamato like this.
Old 02-18-2013

Thanks Gary! Most of my gadgets actually worked pretty well: my Garmin chart plotter, W-H hydraulic autopilot, refrigeration system, single-sideband radio, and the radar all performed perfectly. This was probably because all were new, carefully installed, and not subjected to several years at sea!

I recommend the AirHead, with two caveats: no more than two people, and when the boat is on a tack that lowers the internal "urine separation lip" inside the unit, female crew must agree to either urinate directly into a bucket (squat technique) or use a special "funnel" device that allows them to squat and then channel the fluid into the AirHead's exterior urine tank. The urine tank is not that hard to empty: most yachties could just empty it down the sink (and hence overboard) while at sea, splash some faucet seawater to remove the odor.

All this sounds complicated but I believe the sum total is less complicated and troublesome than any traditional system with hoses, valves, one or two pumps, vent, etc. Remember, you never have to unclog a hose or a pump or replace a pump flapper.

I understand that some luxury charter cats are switching over to composting heads. They have to make sure they install one for every two people aboard.

We proved the old adage "sailing and schedules do not mix." I had already heard that many times in my studies, but we "had to" leave Alameda no later than Oct 17 so Joyce could do the Ha-Ha. I knew for a fact there was at least one other boat (much nicer than mine) that would take her on board immediately if I announced we would not Ha-Ha (I met the owners, a nice elderly couple). If Joyce left, I'd lose Richard and likely Megan too, or with Megan I'd have a crew of two and I did not like that idea for a first voyage.

I remember the phrase "sailing and schedules do not mix" going round and round in my head as we sailed under the Gate into the strengthening wind and whitecaps. In a way I was glad because this would "test" the boat and uncover flaws I should know about ASAP (did it ever!).

The reason I chose a full-keel heavy displacement boat was I read from several reliable sources that they can be made to safely lie ahull in almost any kind of sea, while a fin-keel moderate displacement "racer-cruiser" would only lie ahull in a moderate sea, a heavy sea being likely to capsize or pitch-pole the boat sooner or later. I figured I would need to lie ahull a couple of times when I rounded the southern Cape single-handed in a couple of years, roaring 40's and all, so that's why I got a heavy boat!

Best regards,

Glenn
Old 02-18-2013
Sailin the ditch.

The Garbone is on a distinguished road

Lucky for me I have no plans to do the roaring 40s.

I was looking at a Tartan 30 as my first boat but put it off for something cheaper (much). I am leaning towards a Tartan 34 or 37 with a center board to be our next boat. Shallow draft, more flexibility in ports of call.
Old 02-18-2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tartan is a high-end boat, lots of teak, high end price range. Sure, a very shallow draft means more flexibility with anchorages. How do you like your Cataline 27? Any leaks of note?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.