Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013
Sailin the ditch.

The Garbone is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

One window on the Catalina leaks, found out our first night on anchor in a 25 knot wind and rain. Happens to drip right on my pillow in the quarter birth. Go figure. She is a simple boat and sails well, the more we sail her the happier we are with her performance. As a bonus, I will not be able to go full time for another 11 years and the savings of 9 feet or so in slip fees over the next 8 years more than pays for the cost of the 27.

Tartans vary on teak, I have seen some with lots and some with a little. There was a Blackwatch for sale with teak cabin sides a few hundred miles away last summer before I bought our 27. I think if we had went to look at her in person that would have been it. A beautiful boat. I would prefer one with less teak myself but they do look good. You can get into one for less than $35k here in Florida.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Gary. I think the laws of nautical physics say that pillows attract leaks!
Old 02-19-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here are my take-aways...

1. Who cares who Glenn's attracted to and who he isn't? All this crap about him needing to "change his attitude" and settle for fatter, uglier chicks? Please. It's his freakin' love life. And he's very open about the fact that he's got none, knows the reason why, and is cool with it. In the end, Glenn, from the book you strike me as the typical older single dude whose ways are so set that you'll probably never find a chick that you'll be able to truly tolerate. The fact that you recognize that your standards are likely impossibly high - and are okay finding a fun life outside of romance is cool. More power to you.

2. Composting heads are stupid. Sure...it's all about the "no smell" allure. Of course, when you're rolling in four people's sewage on your cabin sole, spitting that grit out of your mouth...well, I'll live with a bit of funk from my standard head thanks.

3. I was all about the Pudgy. They seem like the Swiss Army Knives of tenders. Just sounds like they don't work too well at any of the functions.

4. I'll never, ever, ever buy a full-keel boat.

5. I think you're pretty awesome for what you've done and your attitude about it all. Head over to the BFS shop (link in my sig) and register an account. I'll send you a free BFS hoodie. Hanging out on that sprit in a blow without getting flicked? You definitely deserve it dude.

It's my conclusion that extremely hot women of any age or weight should all learn to find me irresistable even though I'm fat and middle aged. Anything else is just morally wrong!
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2013
Sailin the ditch.

The Garbone is on a distinguished road
Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Since a lot of folks have chimed in about the lady issues in the book I will add my two pence.

Glenn, the problem is not who your looking for but were you are looking for them. I grew up in Maine and a lot of the reason I left was the women (on average) looked like cattle. Came down south and the prospects improved. The real secret is finding a good baptist southern girl. They tend to be intelligent and well educated and also take care of their looks. A bonus is they tend to look for a more traditional relationship with a man in that they expect a bit of an edge and not this new age metro sexual bs so popular today. Heck, a lot are even libertarians.

That said, good luck in your quest.
krisscross likes this.
Old 02-19-2013

Gary,

Thanks for your advice, but my quest is definitely no longer to find a woman. I have to be realistic about these matters. I'll be 53 in a couple of months, and I'm a good 90 lbs overweight for my height. My tastes have not changed in twenty years. Frankly, I don't see much use in a relationship besides starting a family and raising kids - and the odds of a fit and pretty woman of child-bearing age wanting to do that with me (not a millionaire either!) is as close to zero as you can get. I am through re-arranging my life in pursuit of women: I love coastal California and there is no chance I'm going to move in the hope that in some other part of America women will appreciate me more. Sorry!

I reject the notion that a man's life is somehow wasted or lived in vain if there is no woman dependent on him (or no relationship, however you wish to phrase it). A relationship is NOT "essential to a good life." The misconception that it is produces much misery and waste in our world.

I am not saying "life has no purpose" (I have met many men who swear that unless a man has a lover, he is useless and without purpose and might as well blow his brains out). Instead, each individual decides the purpose of his or her life. I feel very fortunate that writing Breaking Seas has given me the confidence to tackle a far more challenging project - a novel - and not a sailing novel, either. I have lots of stories in me fighting to get out, and this one story in particular I feel I must get down on paper now or I will burst at the seams. If Breaking Seas was my path to get to this point, that makes it far more than worthwhile.

Best,

Glenn
MedSailor likes this.

Last edited by glenndamato; 02-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Since a lot of folks have chimed in about the lady issues in the book I will add my two pence.

I grew up in Maine and a lot of the reason I left was the women (on average) looked like cattle. Came down south and the prospects improved. The real secret is finding a good baptist southern girl. They tend to be intelligent and well educated and also take care of their looks. A bonus is they tend to look for a more traditional relationship with a man in that they expect a bit of an edge and not this new age metro sexual bs so popular today. Heck, a lot are even libertarians.

That said, good luck in your quest.
I'm just curious,...what part of Maine did you grow up in?

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 02-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I'm just curious,...what part of Maine did you grow up in?
The part with the cowchicks.

JoeDiver and glenndamato like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-19-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
I reject the notion that a man's life is somehow wasted or lived in vain if there is no woman dependent on him (or no relationship, however you wish to phrase it). A relationship is NOT "essential to a good life." The misconception that it is produces much misery and waste in our world.
Perhaps you started with a flawed notion (which you you are rejecting). The idea that a woman is a dependent in a relationship is quite archaic. My wife is no more dependent on me, than I am on her. Best friends is a more appropriate term, I think.

Sure, a relationship is not essential to a good life. Who argues otherwise? Plenty of single folks live very fulfilled lives, and are able to pursue goals that might otherwise not fit into relationship. There's a trade off involved. I wouldn't trade what I have, but I can see the appeal of a single life, too.

You seem to spend a lot of time and effort analyzing this relationship stuff and why it will not happen for you. I suspect that you've trumped up some of this to write a more compelling story, but anyway, my advice would be to forget all of that and just live your life. Maybe get into shape and lose that extra 90 lbs too. You may be surprised some day.
Old 02-19-2013
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Hey Glenn,

I was browsing the Kindle store (Amazon) on my Kindle....I was looking at a suggested Bumfuzzle title....and, you know how you can scroll down after the book description, they suggest 3 more books you might like.....well, one of the 3 suggested books was Breaking Seas!

Congrats man.....you got "suggested".....

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 02-19-2013

caberg,

Believe me, sir, the people who have known me for 40, 30, 20, 15 years (close friends, relatives, and colleagues who have read the book) would certainly all assure you that I did not "trump up" a word with respect to my views, experiences, dealings etc. with the female gender! They might be aghast that I actually wrote that stuff down . . . but they would not contest a bit of it! It's the raw truth laid out plainly for people to take it or leave it. I never seriously considered NOT writing the book with that material left out. It was too integral to the entire story, almost up to the last page.

Best,

Glenn