Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks Joe! Amazon has an automated system that does that all the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Since a lot of folks have chimed in about the lady issues in the book I will add my two pence.

Glenn, the problem is not who your looking for but were you are looking for them. I grew up in Maine and a lot of the reason I left was the women (on average) looked like cattle. Came down south and the prospects improved. The real secret is finding a good baptist southern girl. They tend to be intelligent and well educated and also take care of their looks. A bonus is they tend to look for a more traditional relationship with a man in that they expect a bit of an edge and not this new age metro sexual bs so popular today. Heck, a lot are even libertarians.

That said, good luck in your quest.
I saw this play in NYC a few years back.

The story was about this gentile guy who wanted to marry a Jewish woman because he didn't like to make decisions so he figured a Jewish wife would make all the decisions for him.

It was very funny.
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-19-2013

And you don't have to be Jewish to be in that situation!
davidpm and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 02-19-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here are my take-aways...

1. Who cares who Glenn's attracted to and who he isn't? All this crap about him needing to "change his attitude" and settle for fatter, uglier chicks? Please. It's his freakin' love life. And he's very open about the fact that he's got none, knows the reason why, and is cool with it. In the end, Glenn, from the book you strike me as the typical older single dude whose ways are so set that you'll probably never find a chick that you'll be able to truly tolerate. The fact that you recognize that your standards are likely impossibly high - and are okay finding a fun life outside of romance is cool. More power to you.

2. Composting heads are stupid. Sure...it's all about the "no smell" allure. Of course, when you're rolling in four people's sewage on your cabin sole, spitting that grit out of your mouth...well, I'll live with a bit of funk from my standard head thanks.

3. I was all about the Pudgy. They seem like the Swiss Army Knives of tenders. Just sounds like they don't work too well at any of the functions.

4. I'll never, ever, ever buy a full-keel boat.

5. I think you're pretty awesome for what you've done and your attitude about it all. Head over to the BFS shop (link in my sig) and register an account. I'll send you a free BFS hoodie. Hanging out on that sprit in a blow without getting flicked? You definitely deserve it dude.
Smack! You're killing me here! You know I have a full keeled boat with a composting toilet and a pudgy! Obviously our opionions differ on these points, which only means (of course) that you are wrong, but I'm sure you'll see the light sooner or later and change your mind.

The pudgy is awesome IF you need a liferaft. It is better in every way than a standard liferaft and is pretty darn good as a tender to row or sail. If, on the other hand, you don't need a liferaft, it is vastly inferior to many choices. A Ranger Minto for example is cheaper, rows better, sails better and carries the same cargo of people and HP of engine. No need for a liferaft? Get a Minto or other quality sailing dingy. Need a liferaft and a tender? There is nothing better.

As for the composting toilet debate, I won't rehash that one, but I will say that if you ever come visit, you are free to drop your biggest steamer in our composter and we'll see if we can make a true believer out of you.

The full keeled boat hate surprises me. I haven't read the book yet but I assume the keel hate comes from Glenn's difficulty clawing off a lee shore. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there were other factors at play making it harder such as sail trim and him being single-handed or other aspects of hull design that weren't compatible with his weather and waves. Lyn and Larry Pardey never found themselves on a lee shore on their full-keeled cutters and even Annie hill did well on her engine-less junk. Heck, even catamarans (which don't go to weather well) do okay. Full keels aren't the problem I say!

Whew! I feel better. Now that I've got that off my chest, want to talk anchors?

MedSailor
smackdaddy and glenndamato like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2013

All true, MedSailor.

I would never characterize my feelings toward a full keel as "hate." It's just not a choice I would make again. It's not really the lee shore issue either - it's just speed on all points of sail, preferably without running the engine. Please don't forget I'm in So Cal, where light winds are the norm. If I cruise CA-HI-Mexico some day, I just think it would be more fun altogether with a higher performing boat.

A few posts ago I went to great lengths to explain that I DO advocate the AirHead, and the other competing composting system out there (Nature's Way I think) as long as two conditions are met: don't overload (five or six people on one unit!) and don't let urine in the main container. That's it! West Marine should be selling these things, but I don't expect them to because they would canibalize their sales from all the hoses, valves, pumps, pump repair kits, CHEMICALS, and all the other doohickeys and paraphernalia they sell to support the existing holding tank systems.

I liked my Portland Pudgy too, but I could not fathom anyone thinking it would be a safe lifeboat for anything more than two average sized adults. It's small. It would have been irresponsible for me to put to sea with four adults and just the Pudgy - so I had to buy a $6000 liferaft anyhow, on top of the $4500 I had already spent on the Pudgy and related gear. Prices are 2004 - without a doubt much higher today.

Your mileage may vary! Please note if there's one thing I learned, one size does not fit all.

Best,

Glenn
Old 02-19-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
All true, MedSailor.

A few posts ago I went to great lengths to explain that I DO advocate the AirHead, and the other competing composting system out there (Nature's Way I think) as long as two conditions are met: don't overload (five or six people on one unit!) and don't let urine in the main container. That's it!

I liked my Portland Pudgy too, but I could not fathom anyone thinking it would be a safe lifeboat for anything more than two average sized adults. It's small. It would have been irresponsible for me to put to sea with four adults and just the Pudgy - so I had to buy a $6000 liferaft anyhow, on top of the $4500 I had already spent on the Pudgy and related gear. Prices are 2004 - without a doubt much higher today.

Your mileage may vary! Please note if there's one thing I learned, one size does not fit all.

Best,

Glenn
AMEN! Brother to the first point. Those be the key to sucess with the composting head. (I have the Nature's Head).

As for the pudgy's size it actually has enough floor space to be equal to a coast guard approved 4 person life raft. Crazy I know, but the coast guard requirement is NOT very big in the floor space department. They require only 3.6sqft per-person to be exact. That's not even 2'x2'square each. Survuval is much different than comfort and I do think that 4 could survive in the pudgy...

From this link:https://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st...5e6d5f4d1f0646
(2) the area of the floor in square meters divided by 0.335 (or, the area in square feet
divided by 3.6). This area shall be the clear area of the floor inside the inflated
buoyancy tubes.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-20-2013

Yes sir, you're right about the USCG rating . . . but I don't care what the USCG says, when people are at sea in my vessel, I'm the one resposible for their safety, and Damato rating for the Pudgey is two "realistically" sized adults.

I think the USCG begins with the premise that the sea will be a millpond and rescue will come in an hour or so. If either of those two conditions are not true, four adults in a Pudgy is insane. Maybe the USCG was bought off by the raft manufacturers a long time ago, but I reject it altogether.

The only way four ADULTS could safety fit inside a Pudgy, in moderate seas, with maybe a full day before EPIRB-guided rescue, is if those four are all celery-chomping vegan fashion models from Beverly Hills. Me alone, I am a red-blooded meat-eating Rush Limbaugh-size chunk of American Manhood, and with me in there, there would be room for one more at the most!

cheers,

Glenn
Old 02-20-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I'm a little bit depressed reading about the Pudgy, since it's been on my wishlist for so long. I always thought of it as a tonka-truck dinghy (super tough / oyster proof) that I could drag behind the boat as a liberty launch as well as a lifeboat. But reality is a good thing. I'm not tall (about 5'9" and weigh about 240, the guy I usually sail with IS tall, and weighs about the same... then you add a wife and maybe a kid...)
Old 02-20-2013

ShoalFinder: It's a judgement call. You have to consider the kind of sailing you do - where you go, in what kind of weather. What is the worst case scenario? Your vessel sinks in a few minutes, or it catches fire and must be abandoned. What is the worst possible sea state based on when and where you sail? What is a likely range of time to rescue? If you have an EPIRB and are in coastal waters, the USCG can be there in hours. If you are far out to sea, you may need to wait for a commercial vessel to re-route to your area. You may be in for a longer wait: 24 hours, 48 hours, longer. Now, take all the people on your boat. Put them in the Pudgy. Do you feel comfortable with that arrangement given the possible emergency scenarios? The USCG may say "four adults" but I think the skipper has the call. Having used a Pudgy as a tender, UNLESS I was always going to be within 50 nm of the USA and in calm to moderate seas, I would say two adults max, with maybe one SMALL child. To me, outside the range of an almost certain quick rescue, three or more adults aint gonna fly.

Hard dinks as lifeboats in the open ocean have their own problems. I read "Survive the Savage Sea" (Dougal Roberts I think) when I was fourteen - a thrilling read if you haven't already gone through it.

cheers,

Glenn
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 02-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
The only way four ADULTS could safety fit inside a Pudgy...is if those four are all celery-chomping vegan fashion models from Beverly Hills.
Taking this in context with your taste in chicks - you may be onto the main reason you should use the Pudgy as a life raft.

So is this your vision of hell: You and Megan stuck in a Pudgy for weeks on end, floating toward Guam and praying for rescue?

Heh-heh.

BTW - I can't get the nighty scene out of my head. [Shudder.] Thanks for that, dude.
glenndamato likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40