Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Hi Glenn,

I just got the Ninth Circle Press trade paperback edition of Breaking Seas and started reading. The description of your fellow students in the not-so-basic keelboat class struck me and it seems you had the bad fortune to fall in with a particularly elitist/salty group. I don't have a good frame of reference though, because we managed to take classes as a family (self, spouse, then-pre-teen son) in the off seasons in 1999 and 2002 (in Santa Barbara).

The other part the struck me was just how much was missed by the survey. If I had a bunch of extra money to burn, it would be a fascinating experiment to get a boat surveyed by a few different surveyors just to see who misses what -- and after doing a really hard, probing "pre survey" myself and with a couple of experienced friends. If a boating magazine wanted to do boaters a real service, they could do something like this experiment and write a "What can you expect your surveyor to find -- or miss" article. Was your surveyor a member of a trade group and how much experience did he supposedly have with older sailboats?

Now, how do I arrange for the weather to be properly nasty, sucky, and challenging for a sea trial?!

I also wonder if maybe decent life rafts might be cheaper enough in someplace like the UK (with fewer legal issues to maybe inflate the price) to be worth getting from there. For people on a budget, I wonder if perhaps gumby (survival) suits would buy enough time/provide enough protection to allow crew to use a pudgy or other hard or soft ship's dinghy as life raft.
-- Pat Byrnes
davidpm and glenndamato like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2013

islandskipper23 is on a distinguished road

Glenn,

Dont mean to derail the discussion, but just wanted to say how much I loved your book.

I just finished the kindle version in Virgin Gorda (while alternating between your book, Two Years Before the Mast, and Across Islands and Oceans ---- so take pride that yours is right up there with the best of sailing books!)

I really liked your writing style and humor -- dont forget that there is a whole world of sailing out there that isn't squalls, equipment failure, and sleep deprivation (though thats a big part of it) -- sounds like you need to get into a late-model boat and have a few good harbor cruises and sunsets on the mooring!

Keep up the great writing! (and as others have said, the "nighty" scene is also burned into my memory....)

Teddy
ShoalFinder and glenndamato like this.
Old 02-27-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

Glenn,

I purchased the Kindle version of your book yesterday and have enjoyed it so far, I'm maybe half way through. I am in the process of purchasing a boat as we speak and intend to take the next year fixing it up while continuing to work. When the boat is ready I intend to quit my job and go cruising. I would like to take the opportunity on this public forum to officially ask your permission to reprint the email you wrote to your co-workers on your final day of work. It was the most honest and classy way to say farewell to a group of people that think you are nuts to do what you did. Good luck on your future endeavors, keep following you dreams!
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-27-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Capt. Alex,

By all means, please feel free to reprint the farewell email! Glad you liked it. May you have following seas on your adventure!

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 02-27-2013

Teddy,

Glad you enjoyed the book! And you're so right - this time, when I search yachtworld and other sites, I make sure the boat age is limited to 10 years or 15 years at the most. When I do get my second boat, I want to be able to go sailing, not spend all my time and energy on boat work (although some will be necessary, no question).

Please consider doing a review on Amazon - those good reviews really help with a first time book!

Best,

Glenn
Old 02-27-2013

Pat,

I think what happened in my case was that the broker got "too cozy" with the sales rep. They laughed and geegawed together before the survey was conducted and exchanged cards. I think they both put Serenity in the "hopeless" category and me in the "clueless" category (or "more money than sense") and figured it wouldn't matter anyhow if the survey was, ah, "light and forgiving" in order to separate the nerd from his money, no doubt money easily acquired from inflated tech stock prices, so it's not really stealing! For his next sales, the broker would know which surveyor to call to get a "gentle" survey. Real estate appraisers operate in the same manner. Brokers know which appraisers to call to get a "generous" appraisal on a property.

For the shakedown, we were lucky that Labor Day weekend, when everyone was available, shaped up to be fairly heavy and windy but not dangerous, so we could test the boat in moderate seas.

I'm not sure if a gumby suit would be worth the expense and storage space - probably depends on your budget and when and where you sail. I think we could say that if each person was wearing one, it would take up a lot of space on the Pudgy! I always doubted the Pudgy was truly suitable for four adults as a lifeboat anyhow. Note on the website the four adults each sit on the gunwhales! You wouldn't do that in a moderate sea! The Pudgy is quite small - eight feet - I would not recommend it for real for four adults, maybe not even for three unless they were pretty small to begin with. It's a judgement call.

I'd be careful with liferafts certified in foreign countries - it should be repacked and recertified in the US anyhow. A liferaft packed five years ago is not much use. You need to be sure the thing will inflate! Compressed gas has a way of leaking out over years . . .

Best regards,

Glenn
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-27-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Glen
Newbie boat owner checking in, I ordered your book via Amazon and laughed about the story of discovering your holdng tank needed some iimprovements. Next week it was running through my head as I searching for the soure of the noxious smell and wondering if I too bought a boat with a wooded holding tank.

I will post a favorable review on Amazon, wish me luck on the marine head system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 02-27-2013

Thanks Kat! I think a wooden (1/4 inch plywood) holding tank is extremely unusual! Even if you have a standard plastic tank, it can still stink up the entire boat. As I understand it, the waste stinks when it decays anaerobically, without oxygen, which happens if it's in the tank too long without proper ventilation. Most tank vents (such as water and fuel tanks) are needed only to let air out of the tank as water or fuel is put in. In a holding tank, the vent must be large enough to allow sufficient air and oxygen into the tank to produce aerobic decomposition. The standard 1/4 or 1/2 inch vent is too narrow, I read in a Practical Sailor article about ten years ago. An inch and a half might be better, two vents better still.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 02-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Teddy,

Glad you enjoyed the book! And you're so right - this time, when I search yachtworld and other sites, I make sure the boat age is limited to 10 years or 15 years at the most. When I do get my second boat, I want to be able to go sailing, not spend all my time and energy on boat work (although some will be necessary, no question).

Please consider doing a review on Amazon - those good reviews really help with a first time book!

Best,

Glenn
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!! That's a good one!

Oh, wait you're serious. You should consider chartering boats.

MedSailor (jaded old boat guy)

PS Bought the "Kindle-Retro" version yesterday. I actually passed up a used one because I wanted the author to receive royalties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

That is one of the funniest threads I have seen on this site...
Dude, you could have your own cable show... This Old Boat or something like that.
glenndamato likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.