Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

David, I think you just described my last days alive! When I get really old, given the fact that I have no wife and kids, why not just buy a simple boat, provision her, point the bow west and see how far I can get before I croak? I mean, what's the alternative? Die in a hospital bed, cared for by indifferent strangers making $9 an hour to occasionally clean you up???

Anyhow, not quite ready for that YET.

Gerry: Paint can be a tricky thing. I guess people find out, after a time, it's not like painting a room or a house. If someone just buys some paint and rolls it on the gelcoat, even if it's good paint and the gelcoat is cleaned first, it will not hold up against the UV coming from the sky and the water. Years ago I found a highly detailed procedure to do a long-term paintjob on a boat, and I used it to do my cabintop after I replaced my four big plastic windows with bronze opening ports. The process required special, expensive expoxy paint and primer, any MANY coats, with sanding and acetone between coats. It took a long, long time and several weeks, but the results were spectacular and held up beautifully. The big picture is to get the primer coats to truly bond with the gelcoat - the gelcoat has to be roughed up with sanding first (you basically destroy it before you cover it).

I guess there is something to say about cruising in a racing hull, but I believe it takes more hands to do it safely and more care has to be taken in heavy seas and winds.

Best,

Glenn
GMFL likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Well, Islanders aren't a "racing hull" per se, but "cruiser/racers". I think the PO had racing in mind over other adventures.

Funny story. I wanted to get a friend involved in sailing with me so I arranged for her to take a Lido 14 class with me to get her going. The first day she kept complaining that I was being too competitive with the other students and always trying to get ahead and be first to the turn or whatever. She exclaimed, "it's not a race, relax". Of course, with me anyway, it's ALWAYS a race even if the other sailors don't know it. Anyway, the a few lessons later and she's screaming at me "hurry up, there catching us/ahead of us, trim the sails!". Moral I guess; it's ALWAYS a race, even if you don't know it yet.
glenndamato likes this.
Old 02-28-2013

Yeah, sailing will bring out the racer in everyone!
GMFL likes this.
Old 03-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
David, I think you just described my last days alive! When I get really old, given the fact that I have no wife and kids, why not just buy a simple boat, provision her, point the bow west and see how far I can get before I croak? I mean, what's the alternative? Die in a hospital bed, cared for by indifferent strangers making $9 an hour to occasionally clean you up???
I'm with you on that hospital bed thing. As an alternative I'm thinking about deep techncial diving and/or cave diving.
I hear that the nitrogen narcosis thing is pretty sweet.

The down side would be that if it gets popular the caves would all be littered with the bodies of all of us baby boomers. It would be gross.
Maybe someone could invent a line of bio-degradable wet suits.
Old 03-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Glenn
Now that I have exceeded 2,700 posts (I really need to get a life) I have been deputized by the SailNet consortium to remind you that you may post in other threads.
In fact your comments would be welcome on other threads.
You have been around long enough and have been such a good sport I doubt if the moderators would complain if you put a link to your website and or book in you signature.
Yes I know no one has time for this CR&%$p but you know you are hooked to just go with it.
glenndamato likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 03-01-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2013

Thanks David. I noticed I became a "member" pretty quickly, after three weeks or so.

That's an interesting idea with the technical diving/cave diving your way to death, as an alternative to the slow, drawn-out but still ever popular nursing home method. But consider, you can only dive a tiny fraction of the time! Therefore, it's likely you may experience a health problem hours or days after a dive, and be taken away to a hospital . . . and then there you are, in bedpan land.

My paternal grandfather was almost completely paralyzed by a sudden stroke but his mind was sound, so he had to simply vegitate flat on his back, essentially a quadraplegic, until his bodily systems gave out. My fraternal grandfather was partially paralyzed by a sudden stroke but most of his brain was destroyed. He could recognize people but not talk, and most of the time he seemed in a state of panic because he had no idea who he was or where he was. This lasted for four years.

By comparison, having my stroke or heart attack alone on a small boat at sea seems like a great deal. No paramedics, no bedpans. The one downside is you don't want to end up like Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan, starved and dehydrated on an island, eaten alive by big coconut crabs.
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-02-2013
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

You can change your title....from Member to.....Giant Baby Watcher.....or something meaningful.....
davidpm and glenndamato like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 03-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
It is hard to come up with an idea for a cruising book that is original but I think I have one.
How about a cruising snuff book.
The premise is that some old dude like me fits out a marginal but rock solid boat maybe a Person Triton.
Sets very difficult goals that get progressively harder and more dangerous.
Blogs about it daily.
Keeps going until it is fatal.

1. Good way to go.
2. Great story.
3. Follow the Pardee rules. Under no circumstance risk any fresh young coasties to save my wrinkled butt. The last few seconds would be blogging not calling for help.
4. Educational as you would see exactly what you can get away with and not.

That would be something different.
You DO know about Jeanne Socrates. With 1.99 s/h circumnavigations behind her, she is 131 days into her 3rd. This time engineless and at 70 years of age.

Blog is here
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-02-2013

@Joe: She DID look like a giant baby . . . until she turned around. Yech.

@David: She sounds really fit, so being 70 may not be a big deal. Women age slower anyhow, by 4-5 years. My biggest issue with respect to cruising is fitness, and right now at age 52 (53 in less than three months) I am woefully unfit to cruise. I'm at least 50 lbs fatter than I was ten years ago. One of my personal vices is that I loathe organized exercise (jogging, etc). YES, I have started many "personal fitness programs" in my life - jogging, walking, biking, etc - but in the end I gradually slack off and stop. It's a personal vice. It's not something someone can "make me see the light" simply by giving me a pep talk and saying, "Well, you really ought to!" It's a vice like drinking or gambling or even wife beating. It's tough for people who live alone (as I do) to overcome these personal vices because there is no one around to ride me 24x7. No one but me sees what I do on a day to day basis - there is no one to grab me by the collar and order to me to stick to my exercise regimine. This is one of the reasons men who live alone tend to drink way too much and turn into alcoholics - that is NOT a vice of mine, but it's related because there is no one present to ride me with "tough love" and ensure I stick to what I start.

Same with diet and eating - I do NOT "overeat" as such (binge eat, stuff myself, etc) but practically every day I consume a BIT more calories than I need. This is surprisingly easy to do. Exceeding your metabolic needs by just 50 calories a day (1/4 cup of milk, 1/3 of a banana, 2/3 of a slice of bread) means you'll gain about five pounds per year.

Then there's the killer job. I'm paid a nice salary and killer benefits. I was just doing my taxes yesterday with my accountant. We had to do a Schedule C because of the expenses and income associated with Breaking Seas. I told him I'm working on another book and maybe someday I can quit my job. He laughed long and hard. He told me I had better not quit my job, because I would never find another like it . . . ever. Not at my age. Not in this economy (which is not likely to improve in the forseeable future, people are starting to understand). So I have all this travel and job pressure, which makes it far tougher to "begin a fitness program" because there is no chance at developing a daily ROUTINE when you travel an average of twice per month.

The only "realistic" chance is if my novel coming out in November is a huge success, and I CAN quit my job, and devote myself to fitness 24x7.
Old 03-02-2013
Concrete Highway Sailor

lostsheep is on a distinguished road

I just finished your book as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I can totally relate to your character. I have never sailed in my life, other than a weekend scuba charter in Santa Barbara many years ago. I too, have been mildly obsessed with sailing since a youngster. I also am no big hit with the ladies. Kind of a loner. So, your book struck an immense chord with me.
Learned a lot from it, actually.
My conclusion is like sailguy's, I think you took too big a bite, right off the bat. Your vessel was a moneypit, and you put yourself on a schedule that was nearly unreachable. You probably should have bought the boat (or a boat), found your closeby liveaboard marina, and stayed aboard for at least a year. No apartment. Sailed every chance you could, and gradually made your passage. At least you're back wanting another boat, and to have another go at it. Perseverance!

I also think that you were somewhat undermined by some of the crew you chose.
"Joyce", seemed quite capable, but she often set you up for failure. For example, her refusal to properly utilize the head just added more fuel to the failure fire. As first mate (self-proclaimed!), and experienced as she was, she should have supported you a bit more. Granted, you were the Captain, but a good leader relies on his crew and draws from their knowledge as well. She seemed to undermine you every chance she got. Indeed, seemed to enjoy your calamity.
I danced when you boobytrapped her computer.

You have some giant guardian angels. I thought mine were big, but yours are huge!
Excellent story.
Thanks
glenndamato likes this.