Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Actually, here is the author's Rosie O'Donnell comparison: "Physically she was on the pudgy side, but it was a dainty sort of female pudgy as opposed to Megan's rough-and-tumble Rosie O'Donnell biker-chick heftiness."

Now, I laughed out loud when I read that part of the book because it painted a picture that even Stevie Wonder could see. In fact, what I think I like the most about the book was Glenn's sharp wit and his blunt sense of humor. The thing Glenn does exceedingly well is to paint a visual picture that the reader can relate to. I still to this day laugh when I imagine a beer-swilling Burt Reynolds peeing over the side every ten minutes. Not that I would love to hang out with a beer-swilling, Lefty-ranting, Burt Reynolds sailor because I probably wouldn't. Then again, he sounded like a pretty okay guy and a good sailor. I spent my formative years dragging guys like that back to the liberty boat to keep them from going to Captain's Mast. But the picture in my mind is perfectly clear. I feel like I've met the guy.

Perhaps it's a personal thing. I don't have to agree with an author to appreciate the story. In the context of a book a character simply is who he is, and that's the point. Whether one finds the character flawed or personally distasteful is beside the point. Let's not turn Glenn into the Marquis de Sade, because that is an example of the same kind of overblown judgemental hyperbole that Glenn is being accused of.
davidpm, Ranthra and glenndamato like this.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 08-13-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Myself, I found the descriptions of women in the book much more depressing than funny.
Old 08-13-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

@ShoalFinder: Thanks for your post! You understand all -

@emcentar: Please forgive me, didn't mean to be a downer. Shot for honesty throughout the book, especially when I was the culprit (which was most of the time!).
Old 11-08-2013

Ranthra is on a distinguished road

Glenn - Finished the book last night. A review was posted on Amazon this morning. Thanks for the insights to the workings of Amazon.

I enjoyed the book more than any of the dozen or so other sailing adventure books I've read. The storytelling was captive and identifiable. Lots of funny events that all sailors can relate to.

As I read the book, I was surprised of the bluntness in describing the crew members and wondered what their reactions were about the details. Thanks for addressing that in this thread. I will not comment on the relationship issues. It's not my business or area of expertise, and you seem to have reached a point of satisfied acceptance.

BTW, I do agree with your assessment of composting heads. I chose the C-Head model due to the use of common milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets for collection. I appreciate that design approach, and they are not visible when in use as they are contained within the main housing. There is comfort in knowing that my head cannot flood the bilge or sink the boat. Emptying the contents is much less offensive and more sanitary than messing with pump-outs.

Anyway, I appreciate the honesty in the book. Sailing isn't always as glamorous as we'd like. I am a weekend and over-niter coastal cruiser, and that satisfies my dreams for now. But someday...
glenndamato likes this.

Last edited by Ranthra; 11-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranthra For This Useful Post:
glenndamato (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013

Thanks for your note and your Amazon review, Ranthra! Only a few people in the book have their real names: me, my brother and his family, Tweety, Jon, and Duffy (I changed his last name). Everyone else has a pseudonym. "Doug" and I keep in touch - he is outfitting his own 36' sloop in Florida now, at age 71, invited me to sail some time - he is a private person and does not have anything to say about the book, and he is not interested in collaborating with me on a book about HIS experiences outfitting and sailing alone as a senior. "Joyce" and I keep in touch too - true to form, she demanded a free copy of the book and I sent her one. She took the cover photo, used with her permission.

If I had to write the book over I would make it more clear that Joyce was worth having on board. People remember the conflicts. I also should have been more clear on the fact that the troubles we had with the head were MY fault, because I permitted my crew to use it incorrectly, and four adults are too many for one composting head - we would need two - even if we used it perfectly. Glad to hear you are using one. Probably beats the nastiness of the standard system.

I am still in Marina del Rey and "feeling the pull," but I hesitate to quit my job as I did nine years ago because in our modern economy (and at age 53+) I will not be able to get another one like it, at a similar salary, ever.

Working on a novel this year, nothing about sailing, but it's still an adventure story. my intended audience are young adults, although it will be suitable for adults too.

Keep in touch - fair winds -

Glenn
Old 11-09-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Glenn, whatever you do- please come back here when you release a new book. I really enjoyed this one and I'm a fan.

As to the things you say you'd change- I'm not sure why. I thought Joyce came across as very sincere and extremely knowledgeable, even if her personality belongs to a guy who drives a tow truck. She is who she is. That's what makes the world go 'round. The way I read the book, you learned a lot from her even if her presentation was gruff or even combative at times. Her demanding a free copy of the book made me laugh! I would not have expected anything other than that from her. And why not, right? She's a big part of the story. It would be pretty crappy of you not to oblige. Not "dumping the head in the salon" crappy, but crappy.

John
davidpm and glenndamato like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShoalFinder For This Useful Post:
glenndamato (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013

John,

Oh, she got her free copy! She also gave me written permission to use her photo on the cover (she took the photo, so legally she owns it). We are still in touch. Many people who read the book, especially in the Amazon reviews, wanted to know why I "put up with" her, so I took from that the notion I did not do a good job in portraying her contributions. I guess different people get different impressions.

I was looking at boats on the internet last night, and I cam AWFUL close to going out to see a Hans Christian 36 today. In many ways, it makes sense to buy a boat with a modern, faster hull. But something in me says if you're going to spend around $60-80,000 on a used boat, PLUS all the added expense involved in buying and owning ($$$$$), the aesthetic appeal factor better be right. The traditional hulls and deck layouts are so appealing to me, even though I know those boats are slower (especially to weather) and have smaller cockpits (a plus in rough weather but a distinct minus when you want to take three friends to Catalina for the weekend). I just fall in love . . . especially when you're talking a furling main AND re-powered in 2007.

Now is the time to buy - it's a soft market. Must . . . resist . . .
davidpm and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 11-09-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road

Glenn,

I read your book about a year ago and if we ever cross paths I would like to buy you a beverage. Thanks for joining Sailnet and putting up with our caca.... I like your bluntness and willingness to do what you want to do even if it is the exact opposite of what you set out to do. Sometimes cutting losses is a big gain. Hope you get to sailing again soon.

Josh
glenndamato likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to imasaluki For This Useful Post:
glenndamato (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013

Thanks Josh! Drop me a note if you are ever in LA. Who knows, maybe there will be a boat then! "Doug" from the book actually set up his own sloop in Florida for Gulf sailing, at age 71!!! He turned down my proposal to collaborate on a book about him. Too bad!
imasaluki likes this.
Old 11-10-2013

Tim Newman is on a distinguished road

On the basis of this thread, I've just bought this book for the Kindle. I'll let you know what I thought of it when I'm done, but I'm looking forward to reading it!
davidpm and glenndamato like this.