Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
For bedding deck hardware many of us prefer to use butyl tape which never hardens. See this thread at sailboatowners: Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape - SailboatOwners.com
Butyl tape is my #1 rebedding option for deck hardware, ports and lights. It works easy and is simple to clean up. That is the same link I used to learn how to handle my own projects, worked perfectly.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Chewed through half the book last night and looking forward to the other half. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments in the book. It's a real shame that the Downeaster didn't work out for world cruising. Such a beautiful boat and so much work(and $$) was put into it.
glenndamato likes this.
Old 01-29-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Glenn,

I really enjoyed the book. In fact, I started reading yesterday before work, read about 100 pages before I left for work, another 100 during lunch, and the rest later that night. I don't read books like yours often, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm also a self taught computer nerd, former pilot, and (attempting to be, anyway) sailor. I do have to admit, going from a world where fuel burn is measured in 10's of gallons per hour to reading a diesel burns ~1gph was a bit of a shock, I didn't know what to do with myself.

We're also restoring an old full keel, heavily displacement boat (although smaller than yours was, by a fair bit). I was surprised to hear about the water issue after everything was sealed, any idea how your boat's hull to deck joint was bonded at the factory?

Thanks for the book, it was great. I'd love to hear more about what you are doing now and in the future.
glenndamato likes this.

Last edited by Shinook; 01-29-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Damn, and just when I thought there was no greater piece of crap sailing to weather, than an Island Trader 38... (grin, bigtime) Just kidding, of course - I was favorably impressed by the sailing ability of the 45 I ran, considering the type of boat it is...
No way! There is an Island Trader at the marina where I winter Argyle. Looking at that boat, I would guarantee I would smoke that guy (and I can't say that about many boats either).

They perform to windward about as well as an Island Packet, I've sailed with IP's and we're on par. I've heard they are a bit better than Westsails, but I've never sailed on or near one of those. Not to many heavy cruisers on Long Island Sound.

Quote:
One of the things the Downeaster 38 is known for, is being underpowered... The standard factory install of a Faryman 24 Hp is woefully inadequate for that boat.
Absolutely! They originally came with either the 24 hp or a 36 hp as an option. I dropped in a Perkins 4-108 in Argyle (49 hp), which I've seen a lot of folks do. The original engines were also raw water cooled, so most of them are toast by now anyway. The 4-108 is about the biggest engine you can fit in there without doing some major cutting.

The Downeasters are also a bit underpowered sail wise as well. The 38 has a relatively short mast (43' 9") for a 20k lb. boat. You can always put up something big for off the wind, but upwind that short stick does you no favors.

I'd still smoke that Island Trader though!
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Chewed through half the book last night and looking forward to the other half. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments in the book. It's a real shame that the Downeaster didn't work out for world cruising. Such a beautiful boat and so much work(and $$) was put into it.
I know of at least four Downeasters that have circumnavigated and one guy I've talked to sails all around the south pacific islands on one. They're capable, but they are a lot of work and they ain't getting any younger.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I'm also curious, have you heard from any of your former crew since your trip and writing the book?

I'm particularly curious how they reacted to your descriptions of them
davidpm and Ranthra like this.
Old 01-29-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Can't do it, can't teach yourself to sail. It's just not possible. Also, never leave the dock alone or you ill violate 79 different federal and state boating laws. Oh, never go below while single handing, you will definitely sink your vessel if you do.

Other than that there is no fear-based perspective 'round here.
I went below to visit the head while single handing one time and promptly ran aground. I quickly filed that in my lessons learned folder. Always make certain that there is no shallow water within striking distance before going below.

I bought the dead tree version of the book. Should be here 1st week in February.

Have FUN!
O'
Silvio and glenndamato like this.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 01-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the input on what could have been done to keep the interior dry. All good to know for the future. This morning I recieved a direct email from one of the founders of a major, well-known US yacht manufacturer! He wanted to let me know how much he enjoyed the book and he expressed his strong opinion that I (and the character Richard in the book) are correct: the hull-deck joint was the culprit, and the only solution was to have a crane lift the deck from the hull and re-bed properly. He agreed this was a huge undertaking and having it done to a 30+ year old boat in a Mexican boatyard was a highly dubious proposition.
Old 01-29-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

Shinook,

I changed the names of all major characters, and also changed at least one thing about them so they would not be possible to track down - I don't want any hassels. The ages, personalities, genders and appearances - all the things central to the story - are as they were in real life. Jon, Tweety and Duffy exist with those names (Duffy of course passed away about a year after I met him).

The only people I kept in touch with (via internet) are "Joyce" and "Doug." Both are still working and as of a year ago both sail, although Doug is now 71.

I made both aware of the book and Joyce is cool with the fact that she took the original photograph that was used to create the cover image. However, neither has commented to me on the book. Sorry!

The relatively minor characters, like Megan and Loukia, and probably unaware of the book - I don't have a means of reaching them. It is possible Joyce told them.

I had a vision a while ago of Joyce, Doug, Megan, Loukia and I all appearing on . . . Oprah! Wouldn't that be fun? Of course, the book will have to be a lot more popular than it is now! If sales really take off a big publisher may decide to contract for distribution and that would get it into brick-and-mortar stores. Just dreamin'!
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-29-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Doug would you mind scrolling back a bit and find my question about the auto-helm.
Must have gotten lost.
I think it is an important point because the standard auto-helms don't handle weather very well, I have experienced that myself on several boats.
Wind-vanes are the traditional solutions but look like a lot of gear to me.
Your solution is using a commercial quality unit may be a good solution for a lot of people.
How much was it?
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (08-06-2013)