Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

I bought the book Kindle version. Nice read so far. I am about 1/3 way in. Love the way I can read books on the road on my android phone.
glenndamato likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
It seemed to me that all the other singlehanders I could see had fallen into alcohol abuse. They were clearly NOT a part of the "standard" cruising community, consisting of families and couples. As detailed in the book, I could not see myself living that lifestyle.
One thing you might consider is that the reason the cruising community looks like it does to you is because single affluent white American men with a family mindset and sense of adventure that travel to foreign ports likely don't stay single for very long.

When you're planning your next trip you might try to view it with an eye that there's an entire world of beautiful women out there who all have different cultural opinions of what they find attractive in a mate. If you're not enjoying your time and company in one port, well, there's always another port of call on the horizon.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato
It seemed to me that all the other singlehanders I could see had fallen into alcohol abuse. They were clearly NOT a part of the "standard" cruising community, consisting of families and couples. As detailed in the book, I could not see myself living that lifestyle.
One thing you might consider is that the reason the cruising community looks like it does to you is because single affluent white American men with a family mindset and sense of adventure that travel to foreign ports likely don't stay single for very long.

When you're planning your next trip you might try to view it with an eye that there's an entire world of beautiful women out there who all have different cultural opinions of what they find attractive in a mate. If you're not enjoying your time and company in one port, well, there's always another port of call on the horizon.
Yeah, when I read that comment, my first thought was "Sounds like Mexico, to me..." Or, any number of other places - the Rio Dulce, Phuket, Marathon, to name a few - where singlehanded "cruisers" have washed up, found the living and booze cheap, and aren't going anywhere else anytime soon...

Get off the beaten track a bit, and encounter singlehanders who are really going places, I don't think the incidence of alcoholism is particularly prevalent... Pretty unlikely to see a fellow cruiser walking down the docks at 1000 hrs with a beer in his hand in a place like this, in my experience... In a paradise like the Florida Keys, however, it can be depressingly commonplace...

Old 01-30-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Well Glenn, I just ordered your book from amazon. I hope it helps the new boat fund, I'm looking forward to checking it out after reading thru this thread!
glenndamato likes this.
Old 01-30-2013

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road

Glenn - What are your plans for the future? Doing another cruise?
Old 01-30-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

That's a good question, Manhattan. I've been checking out some boats, and there are some great deals. But . . . I know how a boat takes over your life (if you give it the care and attention it needs) and swallows vast amounts of cash. I want to complete a novel this year and I have other ideas for fiction too - ideally, I'd quit my job again, live on the boat, and write full time. Sounds great in theory, but in reality I'm not sure if living aboard is right for me - assuming I could find an open liveaboard slip in California.

My job takes up a lot of time too, with travel, but the pay and benefits are just too good to casually walk away from. It took me fifteen years to get where I am in IT - if I walk away now, at age 53 (in May), with the economy likely to be in the dumps for the forseeable future, it probably means it will be the last good paying, good benefits job I will ever have. I know that may sound cowardly, but there it is. I like the comforts and not having to fret about money.

Is it possible to write, take care of an old boat, and have a significant full time IT job (that requires travel - avg 20-22 trips a year, 4-6 days each) all at the same time??? I don't know. I've got to look at these options carefully and realistically. I would love to split my time between boatwork and writing in some nice spot like a liveaboard slip in Ventura or somewhere else in California - but is that doable?

Last edited by glenndamato; 01-30-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU fellow sailors for your support on this book project. I can also use advice on finding a cruising boat in So. Cal and maybe a liveaboard slip. Exploring options!

For everyone who has read Breaking Seas and enjoyed it, please feel free to do a review on Amazon if reviews are your cup of tea. With a first book, these reviews are really important toward getting people to take a chance on an unknown writer and buy it!

Thanks in advance -
Old 01-30-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Oh, never go below while single handing, you will definitely sink your vessel if you do.
How else am I supposed to make a cup of tea? Or are you suggesting that I sail SF Bay without regular supplies of hot tea? That would be ridiculous.
steve77, Silvio and glenndamato like this.
Old 01-30-2013
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
THANK YOU fellow sailors for your support on this book project. I can also use advice on finding a cruising boat in So. Cal and maybe a liveaboard slip. Exploring options!

For everyone who has read Breaking Seas and enjoyed it, please feel free to do a review on Amazon if reviews are your cup of tea. With a first book, these reviews are really important toward getting people to take a chance on an unknown writer and buy it!

Thanks in advance -
Will do Glenn....I bought the Kindle version and am reading it now. It hooked me pretty quick. I like your writing style.
glenndamato likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 01-30-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and nice post, Glenn. I recommend against posting "Female sailing companion wanted" on this site. That approach has been tried and always invites a slew of commentary. Who knows, though, you may get lucky.
And then there are we lucky few who already have a wife who embraces the adventure (And who sometimes reads sailnet)
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.