Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013

awahl is on a distinguished road
Hi Glen,

I will purchase the kindle version to read as soon as I'm done with the 17 other various books about boats, sailing, maintenance, etc...I'm reading right now...

I will be turning 52 in May. Also in May I will be enjoying my first ever sailing season aboard our new (to us) Endeavour 32.... So, you may see how your book may have a special appeal...

I'm looking forward to all three things.

Cheers!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
glenndamato likes this.
Old 01-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

I hope to start reading it this weekend.

FYI, it can be borrowed for free by Amazon Prime members. Hopefully Glenn gets a piece of my annual Prime membership fee for this. (I think I remember my son mentioning that publishers get around $1 for every loan.)

Glenn - I'm interested in hearing how this works out for you. My son works for Amazon doing behind-the-scenes development for Kindle publishing and has been touting the virtues of self-publishing Kindle content through Amazon. I'm not sure whether you're following that model, or if you are using a publisher/agent as an intermediary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-30-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Bought it. Reading it. Will review.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-31-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road

Glenn,
I saw the book in the OP for this thread. Bought it. Read it. Loved it. Well done.
I also read in a later post that you are still in touch with "Joyce". In reading the book the story seems to me to paint her as rather abrasive (and mildly mutinous). Did I read something into the story you did not intend? If that is the type of sailing companion (and crew) she is, why are you keeping in touch with her? Would you sail with her again?
Old 01-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, when I read that comment, my first thought was "Sounds like Mexico, to me..." Or, any number of other places - the Rio Dulce, Phuket, Marathon, to name a few - where singlehanded "cruisers" have washed up, found the living and booze cheap, and aren't going anywhere else anytime soon...

Get off the beaten track a bit, and encounter singlehanders who are really going places, I don't think the incidence of alcoholism is particularly prevalent... Pretty unlikely to see a fellow cruiser walking down the docks at 1000 hrs with a beer in his hand in a place like this, in my experience... In a paradise like the Florida Keys, however, it can be depressingly commonplace...

Hey, I resemble that last remark! No seriously, as a long time liveaboard some times single, single handler, who has many miles under the keel, I have learned there is a time for drink'n and a time for sailing, and rarley do they cross timelines. Trick is, not to let one get in the way of the other. You sail, you drink and talk about your sail, sober up, and sail again. Balance.
AncientTech likes this.
Old 01-31-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

I hope to get to your book, Glen. It sounds like a good read. I've enjoyed your bits of the experience here. Nice and honest.

If we put everybody together that bought a boat to go cruising and thought they would sail around the world, and then didn't go around the world, how big a crowd would that be?

The accomplishment to me is you did it, left your shore side life, took off for a while on a boat, came back and now you've written an interesting book about it.

Cruising may not be the panacea that many dream it is. I think you have to bring your own(panacea), not matter where you go. It's ok to say, once is enough too. Living aboard a boat isn't for everybody. You can still buy another boat and just go sailing.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-31-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Glenn,
I downloaded your book a few days ago, and have started reading it! I has been hard to put down. I also have plans on cruising either later this year, or in the new future. I have been around boats most of my life, so I feel pretty comfortable. I took some ASA class last fall (www.MokaKat.com) which I kept a blog about my experiences. Thanks for coming aboard the forum to answer our questions! Once I finish I will for sure rate the book! So far it has been an excelent read!
Old 01-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, when I read that comment, my first thought was "Sounds like Mexico, to me..." Or, any number of other places - the Rio Dulce, Phuket, Marathon, to name a few - where singlehanded "cruisers" have washed up, found the living and booze cheap, and aren't going anywhere else anytime soon...

Get off the beaten track a bit, and encounter singlehanders who are really going places, I don't think the incidence of alcoholism is particularly prevalent... Pretty unlikely to see a fellow cruiser walking down the docks at 1000 hrs with a beer in his hand in a place like this, in my experience... In a paradise like the Florida Keys, however, it can be depressingly commonplace...

Tell whoever owns that sailboat at the end of the dock that they need to do a better job securing their halyards in a blow. Shameful.

Probably a newb. Heh-heh.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
My job takes up a lot of time too, with travel, but the pay and benefits are just too good to casually walk away from.
I really feel that trap a lot myself. In about 30 mins I'm interviewing my own replacement for a cushy, well paying IT job, and I don't have anything lined up for myself afterwards except some savings, a long list of boat projects, some destinations I want to sail to and a few ideas of alternate ways to earn income(writing, freelance IT, etc).

But I guess my fear of losing my good health and not being able to travel is greater than my fear of ending up not being able to make ends meet or find employment a year from now.

Still I always have that small voice saying "just stick it out in the corporate world and earn a little more money first..." I don't know if that voice would ever go away though.
Ranthra likes this.
Old 01-31-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Hi Glen,

I will be purchasing the book to read as soon as I'm done with some of the other various books I have to read, etc...I need to spend more time reading and less time working.
I will be turning 50 in March. This summer, we will enjoy our first ever sailing season while sleeping aboard our C&C 30 MK1. Your book may have some special meaning to a guy like me. My wife and I have plans to do Island hopping or "Gunk-holing". We are new to sailing and spent last summer up-fitting the boat and getting her ready for new occupants. I have put a round 550 miles under her keel last year. That is a lot of sailing. Your book looks exciting and just the kind of read I may need. I have read many books and self-help articles in magazines and on the internet. Thanks for your story and thanks for popping in the site here with some conversation.

I'm looking forward to a good read.

Cheers!
Capt, Curt From the free sailboat S/V East Coast Lady