SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Newbe with no experience buys big boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96150-newbe-no-experience-buys-big-boat.html)

davidpm 01-28-2013 11:15 AM

Newbe with no experience buys big boat

I just finished this book.

What a fun read. Every couple of months someone asks if they can buy a boat with no experience and do some serious cruising. Not something I would do but everyone is different.

This guy did it and really barred his soul about what worked and what didn't work. I'm going to try to get him to join this forum so you animals can tear him up as is your custom.:)

For a short fat guy he is tough as nails and I'm sure can take it.
He found himself on a lee shore with a busted impeller and a full keel boat that would not point.
He saved the boat, with a clever hack, how did he do it.

steve77 01-28-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 982165)
I just finished this book.
Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure: Glenn Damato: 9780985816209: Amazon.com: Books

What a fun read. Every couple of months someone asks if they can buy a boat with no experience and do some serious cruising. Not something I would do but everyone is different.

This guy did it and really barred his soul about what worked and what didn't work. I'm going to try to get him to join this forum so you animals can tear him up as is your custom.:)

For a short fat guy he is tough as nails and I'm sure can take it.
He found himself on a lee shore with a busted impeller and a full keel boat that would not point.
He saved the boat, with a clever hack, how did he do it.

Sea turtles?

Silvio 01-28-2013 11:26 AM

Dolphin harnesses!

caberg 01-28-2013 11:44 AM

These types of books/blogs are a great contrast to some of the... how do you say it.... perspectives? on here.

Thanks for the recommendation.

sailingfool 01-28-2013 11:59 AM

Sounds like a good read...

smackdaddy 01-28-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 982183)
These types of books/blogs are a great contrast to some of the... how do you say it.... perspectives? on here.

That's why I love 'em! Generally speaking, sailing is going to have to get a lot more dangerous and deadly to justify those fear-based perspectives.

Silvio 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 982189)
That's why I love 'em! Generally speaking, sailing is going to have to get a lot more dangerous and deadly to justify those fear-based perspectives.

Can't do it, can't teach yourself to sail. It's just not possible. Also, never leave the dock alone or you ill violate 79 different federal and state boating laws. Oh, never go below while single handing, you will definitely sink your vessel if you do.

Other than that there is no fear-based perspective 'round here. :D

JonEisberg 01-28-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 982183)

No doubt, it sounds like an entertaining read...

However, just to keep this guy's endeavor in "perspective"...

His original intention was to sail around the world... Instead, he sailed with the Baja Ha-Ha down to Cabo, hung out around there for a few months, returned to San Diego, and sold the boat...

Just sayin'... (grin)

caberg 01-28-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 982224)
No doubt, it sounds like an entertaining read...

However, just to keep this guy's endeavor in "perspective"...

His original intention was to sail around the world... Instead, he sailed with the Baja Ha-Ha down to Cabo, hung out around there for a few months, returned to San Diego, and sold the boat...

Just sayin'... (grin)

Well, he did leave the marina and lived to tell!

I particularly liked reading Bumfuzzle, the folks who did circumnavigate without a shred of prior experience. And the feathers they ruffled on the sailing forums was exceptionally entertaining. Some people just could not reconcile the idea that anyone who was not like them, could actually sail.

(And just for the record, JonEisberg, I'm not saying anything toward you. I've read many insightful, fair and reasoned posts from you.)

Silvio 01-28-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 982236)
Well, he did leave the marina and lived to tell!

I particularly liked reading Bumfuzzle, the folks who did circumnavigate without a shred of prior experience. And the feathers they ruffled on the sailing forums was exceptionally entertaining. Some people just could not reconcile the idea that anyone who was not like them, could actually sail.

(And just for the record, JonEisberg, I'm not saying anything toward you. I've read many insightful, fair and reasoned posts from you.)

I really enjoyed following the Bumfuzzles as well. What a neat family they are! Their's was one of the first and only blogs I regularly followed when beginning sailing myself.