Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Shipping gear US to Europe?

Hoping that some of the sailnet community has some experience shipping gear from the USA to Europe/ France.

I have a shipping agency that will help me get boxes on pallets and wrapped.

Then shipped by ocean freight to France. No one seems to know if I will have to pay the VAT when gear arrives. The boat is going offshore as soon after completion but that documentation can not be completed till I complete sea trials. I will have a letter from the builder with his VAT # in French for customs, I will have each item priced with recites present. As for used gear from our previous boat I will have a fair market value for items. I'm not sure if this is enough information or I will need more. I do not want to try and get tricky I want to be up front so not to end up with any hassles.

Any ideas would be helpful from those who have done this before.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shipping gear US to Europe?

Hannah... can't help you, I'm afraid, but I did edit your thread title to something a little more specific that might get you quicker answers... hope you don't mind..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Shipping to Europe?

That makes not any sense. You only pay VAT if you are a EU citizen. VAT is paid when you buy something not when you bring your own stuff to Europe, being you not an European citizen. I know that the bureaucracy is big around here but you have just to find the right persons to help you. The problem is to know who are the right people to help you

Maybe customs in France? Maybe your friend from Boreal can know the answers for you? maybe you have to have an address in Europe?

regards

Paulo
Old 01-28-2013

Thanks Faster
Old 01-28-2013

Re: Shipping to Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That makes not any sense. You only pay VAT if you are a EU citizen. VAT is paid when you buy something not when you bring your own stuff to Europe, being you not an European citizen. I know that the bureaucracy is big around here but you have just to find the right persons to help you. The problem is to know who are the right people to help you

Maybe customs in France? Maybe your friend from Boreal can know the answers for you? maybe you have to have an address in Europe?

regards

Paulo
Somewhat true Paulo,

But France does not know what I'm doing with gear. Some of it is brand new and in the box. But as an American I do have to pay VAT unless I can prove that items will be taken offshore. Example: if I buy a dress at a fashion store in Paris to give to my mistress I have to pay VAT like any other Frenchman who buys his mistress a dress. I will have the tax as part of the item unless I show some type of proof it will leave Europe along with my mistress and that won't go anywhere fast on my boat.

Most places where gear for boats are emergency shipped Customs will try and tax it unless you know the paper work to get out of it. I don't know that paper work and what would help me. Right now I'm hoping a letter from Boreal and their VAT number will get me out of paying the VAT but maybe someone here can give me some help on the best way of doing it.
Old 01-28-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

If the seller is working through a broker I would ask them. I had a similar situation in another country and the broker knew the angles to make it happen tax free.
Old 01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
If the seller is working through a broker I would ask them. I had a similar situation in another country and the broker knew the angles to make it happen tax free.
The broker who will take care of the VAT for the boat will not do items sent over to France.

I can only avoid the VAT when I buy equipment over the internet in Europe if Boreal sends their VAT # with items bought. I send Boreal the list of items I want lets say at the Super Marine Store in England. Boreal then orders those items and gives the store their VAT# and there will be no VAT tax.

We are only the second boat Boreal has built yet for a non European client, the other boat has not sent anything yet to Boreal so it is all new to myself and Boreal alike. We are in the learning process.

Thanks