SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Modification for adjustable genoa cars

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jimrafford 
#1 ·
One of my projects this winter was to research into modifying my Schaefer twin sheet geona cars so that I can adjust them on the fly. As like my previous sailboats, you cannot adjust them under any moderate load unless you sail off the wind, jump up and adjust then tack back. Continuing the process depending on wind and pointing position of your sailboat.

I could rig up a purchase fairly easy and run the line back to the helm but my genoa track is located on my gunwale which has a good amount of curve to it so the lead line back to the helm may need some fairleads to guide it back and prevent the line as a tripping hazard. For years I was thinking this may not be worth the trouble but I read two articles of recent about rig improvements and this was listed as one of the top modifications worth doing. Would be nice to fine tune my car position and at the same time seeing the change in the sail shape.

Any thoughts on this modification?

#4 ·
Interesting. I have the setup on my boat and I am seriously thinking of getting rid of it. All that extra line is a pain and definite tripping hazard. In addition, when the sail is full it really takes a lot of effort to move the car. Usually it has to winched.

If I get rid of the "move on the fly" system I will simply return to the way we used to do it on race boats in the days before the moving cars were common. Have a piece of line roughly the same size as the genoa sheet. If you want to get fancy have a hook or snap shackle on one end. Secure that end to something solid and tie a rolling hitch on the genoa sheet forward of the car with the other end. Ease the tension on the sheet (the rolling hitch will hold the sheet in place while you move the car to a different location). Take back tension on the sheet, untie the rolling hitch and presto, you are reset. Fewer lines to trip on, less fuss.

#5 ·
That is one concern I have, "line congestion". You will need to have a good amount of purchase on the car, many lines all running along my teak gunwale just outside my stanchions. Along with my furling lead line and my asymmetric spinnaker lead line.
Right now I have cordage on my locking pin which helps quickly unlocking the pin and pushing to the right position.

My goal this year is to provide more attention to trimming my sails. My kids are slightly older, much better swimmers and more comfortable on the sailboat while heeling so I don't need to have an eagle on them every minute. Last year..."Keep a very close eye on my son on the foredeck or trim up my main to get that top twist out"....

#6 ·
If you want to improve your sailing performance you could get materially more bang by installing inboard genoa tracks to bring the sheet inboard off the rail. You are likely to be able to sail 5 or so degrees closer to the wind on every tack, all year. Sort of like the low hanging fruit of upwind performance. Provided of course the boat has deck space for such tracks...

#7 ·
I don't see the line congestion issue, it's one line.

Nor do I see the 'need to take the line to a winch' as real.

Look at the set up in my blog (link above) - 4:1 controls, the lines lay on the track with one clutched line coming into the cockpit.
For that you get micro level control of where the jib car is.

What's the question?

#8 ·
Adding a inner track is not a good option, at least for this sailboat. The sheets would be leading to the inside of the shrouds and if I was running a jib most of the time, it would work fine but I carry a 130% on the furling in the spring and fall, and 150% during the summer where we don't usually get a whole lot of wind. Also the deck is not design to carry that load and require substantial backing plates.
I don't have any issues pointing or trimming the genny.

You can see that I have thought about this before (about two months after I purchased her - Fall 2011) and investigated into this.

#9 · (Edited)
I've done the garhauer conversion on the last 2 boats. I use it more for adjusting the cars when we reef. It's no fun, if not impossible, trying to move cars by hand in any kind of breeze. I come from a racing background and like to be able to tweak the trim anyway. No more leaving the cockpit, adjust on any point of sail at anytime. They work great and are reasonably priced.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.