SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shipping wine by sailing Ship

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  fryewe 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This reminds me so much of the CNN story last year about the return of the sail. In it were mentioned several organizations on both coast that are developing sail freight business models and they seem promising. I would love to see an expansion of sail freight in the US waters not only to add jobs but to offer a green alternative to transportation of goods that even in this day is still viable.

#6 ·
I like my wine and I like reading about it, but I'm no expert. It's my understanding that the average bottle of today's wine does not need to be coddled to that extent. Now, if I was transporting an expensive vintage, I'd have a different plan. Otherwise, I'm more concerned about serving temperature.

#4 ·
A little pretentious, doing it to be "green". Doing it to save money (no fuel costs), doing it for nostalgia (with tastings aboard the ship) that would be great. Doing it to raise awareness of sail and the romantic lure of the sea, I would support it in a heartbeat.
But you can only do this to be "green" (a term and mindset I despise, they are being Luddites... and Luddites are stooopid!) can only be feasible for crap we do not need. Like French wine (we have plenty of good domestic wines in the US now). The number of human on this planet demand that we use energy to feed, clothe and house us all. And if you think humans are the "problem" act like you mean it and reduce the problem by eliminating yourself from the planet.
Good grief!

#11 ·
I think its a great idea as long as its a viable business and they are not taking handouts from their government. I would do it to if i could make money doing it. I'm not keen on the "green" idea. Do it because it makes sense and you can make money at it. If being "green is a by-product; fantastic. Use it for advertising like they are. There are plenty of people out there that will suck up the organic, green, eco fuzzy stuff put out.

#18 ·
There are some small instances of freight by sail but I have too much respect for you'll to repost an article with the work "green" in it. "Green" is the biggest money scam in the history of the world that unfortunately, takes away from genuine efforts to help this planet.

There was a show once where a guy delivered small scale via a Hobie cat!!!

#19 ·
I have heard (a dangerous opening I know) from a former captain and person i would vouch for, who captained vessels for the wine owner I am reporting on, that good wind is sometimes stored aboard ships for the motion that is enjoyed. The "wine owner" is a very wealthy individual and keeps a wine inventory we mortals can't even imagine. At least this one was amazed to learn of it. Sailing ships are not part of the mix. He keeps it aboard commercial ships owned by his company because of the environment there.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Down

#20 ·
I love capitalism. If this plucks the heart strings of people who will be more inclined to buy their product, that is terrific.

If anyone thinks it makes a bit of difference in actual environmental impact, they need their head examined. Imagine all the maintenance these vessels will require and all of it will have significant environmental impact, from power tools to coatings. We all know for sure that its motors will be running often as well.

There is no real environmental concern here, only marketing. Greenies are very easily played.

#22 ·
Wine has always been a rather manhour intensive business. I imagine with the French, even more so.

And maybe they should say "greener"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.