SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Birds on a boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96219-birds-boat.html)

mad_machine 01-30-2013 03:56 PM

Birds on a boat

My eventual plans are to get a boat in the high 30 foot range and live aboard. My question is.. I keep birds as pets. Currently I only have an english Budgie (think parrakeet, but bigger) and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping a bird aboard a boat?

I have seen dogs and cats carried aboard with little to no issue (other than LOTS of walks for the dogs) but never a bird.

Faster 01-30-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Birds on a boat

No worries... just upsize and train it to sit on your shoulder..... AAARRR matey!! ;) :)

RobGallagher 01-30-2013 05:56 PM

As a live aboard, will you be working? Will you stay in NJ? Will you have air conditioning?
I would worry about the heat and direct sunlight in summer time. It can be a killer for birds as they easily become overheated in captivity and may stop drinking water when they do. Rapid death may ensue.

Also, most animals can suffer from motion sickness. That could be an issue, but probably something they would get used to.

(No direct experience with budgies, but, I used to breed larger parrots/cockatiels/cockatoos as a hobby that turned into a business for a while.)

mad_machine 01-30-2013 05:59 PM

I would be in NJ about 8 or 9 months of the year under this plan and in warmer climes for the winter. And yes, I would be working. Winter is always a slow time for stage hands in Atlantic City.. so taking off for a new months would not hurt me money wise.

I know the place I currently rent.. as I do not use air conditioning.. has seen 100 degrees inside. So I think that might be a good upper limit for a bird

Faster 01-30-2013 06:04 PM

OK.. seriously now... (sorry about the prior crack) if you plan on voyaging to different countries best check about their policies on pets being brought in.. remember in the Caribbean you can be entering a new country at nearly every island, it may complicate things more than you'd like...

mad_machine 01-30-2013 06:37 PM

good point. The Bahamas seem rather easy to bring a pet into.

schelli 02-12-2013 02:23 AM

You gotta have a bird on a boat!

Boasun 02-12-2013 11:42 AM

Only if you are using the British slang for young ladies... Those are the only birds I would love to have on my boat.
My mind is that of a twenty year old... My body says it has gone to many times over the hill.

chef2sail 02-12-2013 12:08 PM

Funny....most of us try to keep birds off of our boat.

miatapaul 02-12-2013 12:31 PM

I would be concerned about temperature swings (bigger issue than actual terminal temperature) I lost a bird due to a drafty house with big swings in temperature. A real shame too as she was very friendly and was my son's cockatiel and very friendly to everyone it met. My other son has a Quaker, who is only friendly to me and my son, he seems indestructible! Of course there are Quaker colonies in Chicago so I imagine they could live just about anywhere.

Birds can be one of the most difficult pets to get into some countries, as you have to have certificates of captive birth, and what not.