Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Birds on a boat

My eventual plans are to get a boat in the high 30 foot range and live aboard. My question is.. I keep birds as pets. Currently I only have an english Budgie (think parrakeet, but bigger) and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping a bird aboard a boat?

I have seen dogs and cats carried aboard with little to no issue (other than LOTS of walks for the dogs) but never a bird.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Birds on a boat

No worries... just upsize and train it to sit on your shoulder..... AAARRR matey!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-30-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

As a live aboard, will you be working? Will you stay in NJ? Will you have air conditioning?
I would worry about the heat and direct sunlight in summer time. It can be a killer for birds as they easily become overheated in captivity and may stop drinking water when they do. Rapid death may ensue.

Also, most animals can suffer from motion sickness. That could be an issue, but probably something they would get used to.

(No direct experience with budgies, but, I used to breed larger parrots/cockatiels/cockatoos as a hobby that turned into a business for a while.)
Old 01-30-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

I would be in NJ about 8 or 9 months of the year under this plan and in warmer climes for the winter. And yes, I would be working. Winter is always a slow time for stage hands in Atlantic City.. so taking off for a new months would not hurt me money wise.

I know the place I currently rent.. as I do not use air conditioning.. has seen 100 degrees inside. So I think that might be a good upper limit for a bird

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

OK.. seriously now... (sorry about the prior crack) if you plan on voyaging to different countries best check about their policies on pets being brought in.. remember in the Caribbean you can be entering a new country at nearly every island, it may complicate things more than you'd like...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-30-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

good point. The Bahamas seem rather easy to bring a pet into.

Old 02-12-2013

schelli is on a distinguished road

You gotta have a bird on a boat!
Old 02-12-2013

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

Only if you are using the British slang for young ladies... Those are the only birds I would love to have on my boat.
My mind is that of a twenty year old... My body says it has gone to many times over the hill.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Funny....most of us try to keep birds off of our boat.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-12-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I would be concerned about temperature swings (bigger issue than actual terminal temperature) I lost a bird due to a drafty house with big swings in temperature. A real shame too as she was very friendly and was my son's cockatiel and very friendly to everyone it met. My other son has a Quaker, who is only friendly to me and my son, he seems indestructible! Of course there are Quaker colonies in Chicago so I imagine they could live just about anywhere.

Birds can be one of the most difficult pets to get into some countries, as you have to have certificates of captive birth, and what not.