3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-30-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Re: Traded Up

well, if it isn't.. then it is a ready made reef
CS Cruiser likes this.

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
The thing that would concern me on these ferro boats is how are you sure the reinforcing steel (chicken wire) is not corroded? That is where the hull is getting its strength (tensional strength).
If it hasn't been recently painted you can tell. There were and are lots of ferro boats around here. It's pretty easy to spot the decent ones - they are few and far between but they do exist.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

this is true.. the rust would be "leaking" out

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2013
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Ok, the truth. Did not buy the boat, was just browsing and saw it. But someone bought it. Maybe they will show up on sailnet. Looks like the boat was just a "live a board". In any case, a lot of work (and money) to get her going again.
Sure does not seem like the broker was really trying to sell it. I guess they wanted to really represent the boat, I mean look at all the lovely water in the bildge. I love the pergo flooring on the sides of the v-birth. I wonder if all the ports were open due to smell?

That thing is weird, looks like an IOR boat and an air craft carrier had an illegitimate child. Perhaps it did not sell, but the broker put the ad up to say see I sold this, so I can sell anything!

Do you think boats like this are why it is so hard to get a live aboard slip in Hawaii?
Philzy3985 likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2013

Run...... don't walk.. what would posses anyone to buy that boat. Reef...yes, the fishy's would love it
post #16 of 21 Old 02-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Ok, the truth. Did not buy the boat, was just browsing and saw it. But someone bought it. Maybe they will show up on sailnet. Looks like the boat was just a "live a board". In any case, a lot of work (and money) to get her going again.
Casey, since you "missed out" on that one - how about this?

It's a little smaller but it's also got a lower asking price.

50ft ferro cement

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-01-2013

Quote:
Dude, I was going to say that's the ugliest boat I've ever seen on Sailnet -- then I saw SloopJonB's post.

Now think about this.

Both are home built boats. In someone's mind they were dreams that they put a ton of hours into creating and actually getting onto the water.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #18 of 21 Old 02-04-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Sure does not seem like the broker was really trying to sell it. I guess they wanted to really represent the boat, I mean look at all the lovely water in the bildge. I love the pergo flooring on the sides of the v-birth. I wonder if all the ports were open due to smell?

That thing is weird, looks like an IOR boat and an air craft carrier had an illegitimate child. Perhaps it did not sell, but the broker put the ad up to say see I sold this, so I can sell anything!

Do you think boats like this are why it is so hard to get a live aboard slip in Hawaii?
I am fairly certain it did sell. You see quite a few boats like that here (as I am sure in most places). The thing is the cost to moor this boat in Hawaii is in the range of $600 to $2,000 per month (depending if you are in state run or private marina). The most places require you to do a "buoy run" proving your boat can run under power once every year. A lot of boats like this (no running engine) fail and then are kicked out of the marina (this boat looks to be in a state owned marina that requires buoy run). I am just thinking it would cost a lot of money and effort to get her going again, and was amazed she sold.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-04-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

50ft ferro cement
Oh my. Does the book and hat lying on the bunk come with the yacht?
post #20 of 21 Old 02-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

50ft ferro cement
Damn, when I think how much my boat cost and this one is bigger and probably sails better with that water ballast - just like an Open 60.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.