Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013

rickdanger27 is on a distinguished road
Charleston area

looking for someone from Charleston area to help me buy a boat. i need experienced buyer to help with buying a 5k range boat I'm willing to have a marine inspector but want help narrow down the fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Charleston area

I'm surprised you haven't had a response. Do you have online listings? You can always post links to the pictures and get advice here. Or, when you go inspect them, take lots of pictures. If you check post number 20 in this thread: I think I have found what I want I put together a list of the things I look for. I'm NOT a highly experienced sailor, or a surveyory, but I've basically been shopping for boats for about 12 months. If you can at least winnow out the stuff you KNOW you don't want, that will go a long way.

What are your requirements in a boat? Is this your first?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2013

i have looked at boats on cregslist I'm looking to spend about $5000 i want a boat for the georgetown area and costal cruising and it will be a live aboard for about 4 months so the inside will have to be finished. i really like this S2 7.3 i found and they only want 3000 for it and it was posted before at 1700 so i think someone is trying to flip it. also im going to look at a oday 25 in myrtle beach on monday. it will be my first bigger boat my first sail boat was a 14.2 capri so i'm ready to move up in size and want to have something to over night in.
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I had a Catalina 25, and in my opinion, 25 is the bare minimum for living aboard. Overnights/weekends are fine, but for actually living aboard, a 27-30 gets you a much more comfortable boat, and there are 27-30's in your range that are still decent. I'm in the process of looking for a next boat, and my budget is the same as yours, and I'm finding a lot in the 27-32 range. You do need to be ready to move, but opportunities are out there.

To your specific boat, I like the S2's, but the 7.3 is a little small, IMHO, for your needs. However, I tend to like more space, and I mostly daysail with my family (wife, two young kids). I think that if you can find the S2 8.0's or 9.2's, then you'll be a lot more comfortable.

What other requirements do you have? Wheel/tiller preference? Does it need roller furling? Max length? Inboard/outboard? Age? Porta-potty or marine head? How many berths do you need/want?

Some other boats to consider:
* late 1970's and early 1980's Hunters - the 27 has a smaller cockpit, but it's a very nice boat and you can find a lot of them out there. The 30 is also a nice boat with more room all around. The 27's cockpit is too small for me, but it works.
* Catalina 27/30
* Pearson 30/32
* S2 - 8.0/9.2A or 9.2C
* O'Day 27/272/30
* Irwin 30
* Ericson 30/32
* Endeavour 32

From what I've read (again, I'm not an expert and don't have a lot of practical exerience) these boats are all decent. If you're diligent, you can find them in your range. Look for people who need to sell. There are many reasons why people need to sell, and in many cases even though your offer is lower than they really want, they are happy to be rid of the boat.

Any way, if you're willing, post pics here (or open a PhotoBucket or other account and post them there, with a link here) and we'll give you some feedback.

You might also want to check out this article: Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association Although you aren't looking specifically at a Catalina 25, the article has a LOT of good suggestions for conducting a self-assessment.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 01-31-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2013

cool thanks i was also looking at a 31 foot miura but with a 6 foot draft I'm worried that i wont be able to get the use and that upkeep will cost me to much.
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I've seen the ad for that boat - it comes up in my searches as well, though it's too far south for me. I'm not familiar with the brand, not that that's a surprise given my lack of experience/knowledge.

I'm not sure what it's like where you are; up here, we have a lot of shallow water. Where I sail, I need a draft of less than 6 feet, and preferably less than 5. The C30 has a 5'3" draft, and most of the others are less. I think the H30 may be 5'6".

Maintenance costs for any of these boats will likely be significantly higher than what you're used to with the Capri, though it depends on what you call "maintenance".

Happy to help if/how I can!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-31-2013

yeah i had no maintenance cost on my capri. I'm expecting about $2000 a year on a boat thats always in the water i don't know if thats right or not i figure i can do what ever work that may need to be done after i get it in dry dock i don't mind sanding and priming and that sort of stuff. I think i can dive well to scrub/scrap the bottom in the summer. i may be miss understanding what maintenance is on a sail boat. right now i have a 10'6" boston wailer and know that it cost just about nothing to run but my range is small maybe a few miles of where i put in. i know that i want to eventually be able to go to key west and that sort of island hopping but for now I'm looking to be in winya bay and overnights to charleston. do you think a 30 foot boat is too much for someone inexperienced in sailing and with only a 2 person crew me and my girlfriend.
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I hope a 30 footer isn't too much for one person - that's where I'm headed! My wife will help crew a bit, but she's usually keeping an eye on our boys, so I'm essentially single-handing most of the time. When you get into the 35+ range, I think that's where it starts to get tough to single-hand. I was aboard a Catalina 38 a while ago in some strong winds (20+ kts) and the sails can be a real bear. Trying to tend them, while also handling other stuff, would be tough single handed.

By way of background, I took lessons when I was a teen - 4 lessons over the course of a week. I then didn't sail for about 20 years, except as a passenger on a few sunset cruises. About 3 years ago, I convinced my wife to take a class on a local lake. So, over the course of 4 lessons or so, we took out an American 14 and learned to handle that boat. The local lake's rental office closes too early for me to get there most evenings, so I convinced her that owning a boat would be fun. It kind of exploded from there, and we wound up with the Catalina 25. What I learned when I was aboard was that nothing looks like it did on the American, but actually the basics are very similar. So, if you have a decent amount of experience with your Capri, I suspect you'll do fine with the bigger boat. Everything on the bigger boat will happen slower. Big gusts will take longer to knock you down, you'll accelerate slower in the gusts, you'll slow down slower (hope that makes sense), etc. It may take you a few outings to be confident, but you'll get there. We bought our 25 in October, and the marina was nice and let us keep her in the water there for free for a month and a half. I went out 2 or 3 times with some subset of my family, and then one weekend I found myself at the boat by myself. The winds were 8-10 kts, and it was a beautiful day. So, I fired up the engine and left the dock by myself, sailed for about 30-45 minutes, then came back, docked without incident, pulled off the stuff I had come to get, and headed home. That is a day I'll remember for a long time, because a dream that I'd had for a long time had actually come true. Any way, that's a long way of saying that if you can handle the Capri, you'll quickly get the hang of the next boat, too.

Most of the boats I listed above are supposed to be fine coastal cruisers. Not something you'd want to take to Europe, but for hopping down the coast where harbors are available and during fair weather, or for cruising down the ICW, from what I understand they are fine. Of course, any 30+ year old boat should be carefully inspected, but you get the idea.

As for your planned maintenance costs, I can't really say one way or the other. I sunk a lot of time, energy, and some money into the C25 last winter. After that, though, I really wasn't expecting it to cost me TOO much to maintain. Some bottom paint every 2-3 years, replacing this or that when it breaks, etc., but other than the sails and the engine, I didn't foresee a lot of additional costs. With that in mind, I think $2000 sounds reasonable, assuming you aren't including slip fees and winter storage (if you haul it). It may be more than that, it may be less than that, but $2,000 "feels" about right to me.
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.