Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Looking for soft mud to test an anchor...

I've been enjoying playing with the Mantus Anchor and so far have been impressed, but I haven't yet tried it in anchorages that are known to be really difficult to set in. I know that the north end of Jones Island is really hard to get a set and is rocky, but I'm looking for somewhere that has really soft mud.

Does anyone know of a really soft mud anchorage in the PNW/Salish Sea that has poor holding? I want to try setting my mantus anchor and see if I can pull it out. It would be fun to compare it to my Bruce as well as they're not known for good soft mud ability. It would be even more fun to compare it to my fortress which is supposed to work well in soft mud.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy, or how I can rig up, a load sell or know the strain on the rode? I thought I had found cheap, spring based scientific-instrument load testers but it turns out that I missed a decimal point converting my kilonewtons and they won't work for my purposes.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for soft mud to test an anchor...

shame you are on the wrong coast.. I would say any ICW area of NJ would give you all the soft mud you could possibly want.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Unless its really blowing hard, I don't find soft mud to be the most difficult to set in. The weight of the 75lb anchor and 1/2" chain seem to set and hold just find, until you pull hard against them. Admittedly, in 10 kts of breeze, I think I could just pile it on the bottom without setting and stay put.

It's grassy beds that I find the toughest to set in, followed by hard bottoms.

Its when the wind shifts and we clock 180 degress around from where we set the anchor that I'm most interested in seeing if it will reset itself, regardless of bottom type. This is where I think the next gen anchors excel.
oysterman23 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mainesail has done this here on the East Coast I would suggest Contacting him.

I would expect superior setting ability as we have seen with the other New Generaration anchors like the Rocna and the Manson Supreme. Both have surpassed all the Bruce/ Delta/ Fortress in ability to rest as well in almost every condition.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-31-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Agreed soft bottoms aren't hard to set in. I was looking at pull tests to see which anchor will hold in the soft brown soup. Maybe I could make up a poor-man's load cell by using a small line with a known breaking strength...

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 01-31-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Reid Harbor, Stuart Is. seems to have some soft mud, at least right off the park dock anyway. We tried to set a 45lb CQR there and finally gave up after dragging it for 200' several times and grabbed a mooring. That was when I started searching for a 66lb Bruce (no problem setting or holding now). Not sure, but I also recollect that Fisherman Bay on Lopez is muddy, it's been a long time since I anchored in there. Have fun playing in the mud Med.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-31-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Take a little ride down to San Francisco Bay, all the mud you could ever hope for Years ago we used the old Danforth with lots of chain and could hardly pull it out, never a problem with it dragging. However, from what I have read, the "new generation" anchors are the best you can get, regardless of the bottom.

Paul T
Old 01-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
. Both have surpassed all the Bruce/ Delta/ Fortress in ability to rest as well in almost every condition.
Have you seen anyone test in grass? That's the one that seems able to defeat any anchor system and we have a few places with it, if you don't get on a mooring.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-31-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mainesail has done this here on the East Coast I would suggest Contacting him.

I would expect superior setting ability as we have seen with the other New Generaration anchors like the Rocna and the Manson Supreme. Both have surpassed all the Bruce/ Delta/ Fortress in ability to rest as well in almost every condition.

Dave

For what it's worth Practical Sailor has an article this month on anchors.
Although the article was geared towards the anchors resetting themselves during a tide or wind change, the Rocna & Manson didn't far to well in muddy conditions. The pictures showed them caked w/ mud so until the cleaned off
they took a spell to reset.

For the record, I haven't read the complete article so there may be other factors but I won't need to revisit the library until tomorrow am
Old 01-31-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

If I recall think the spade did the best overall. Wonder about it tho as you don't suddenly go from lying north to lying south. would think test doesn't reproduce "real world" of creeping around the clock after slack tide or wind shift.