Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
I get the harassment thing. There were actually 2 other boats closer one on the whale watching tours. Another looked like a bug inflatable. They are heading south to Mexico from what understand. Last year a HUGE one surfaced behind me then went under and you could see the entire whale underwater. Wow was it big!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Whales!

I'll be in SoCal in a few weeks. May have to take a whale watching tour after work one day! Hopefully there will be at least a few stragglers.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

The Festival of Whales is first part of March, I'd recommend Capt. Dave's dolphin safari, sometimes the whales will swim between the hulls, also got underwater view areas.
Whale Watching Excursions | Dana Point Festival of Whales
jimgo likes this.
Old 01-31-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Very cool, thanks for sharing! It's got to be a little daunting to see a living creature bigger than your sailboat surface next to you.

Maybe someone will make a Whale Alert app for the West Coast too!

Old 01-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I saw them on a tour in Mexico a few years ago. It was impressive being in a RIB and having them all around you. I would have to all it almost a life altering experience.
Old 01-31-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

agree with miatapaul, life changing!

Not on a sailboat, but these from a 20ft panga in the Sea of Cortez.

*edit* I don't recommend getting this close of course. I was lucky enough to be along with a whale researcher as part of his work. He is very experienced and above all very respectful of these amazing animals.

From Whales In Loreto, Mexico

jrd22, kwaltersmi, T37Chef and 3 others like this.
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Last edited by bristol299bob; 01-31-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I stay away from them whales:
This happened this past tuesday:

Witness describes whale breaking canoe | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Old 01-31-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

We got a glimpse of a couple in the Santa Monica Bay 2 weeks ago. They're majestic creatures. That pod off the coast of Palos Verdes was apparently the largest on record, as the OP states. I was returning to the harbor under sail alone when the whale broke the surface heading right at us. Moving at about 1 knot there wasn't anything I could do, it's really up to the whale how close we're both going to get. But of course, behind the whale were about a dozen paddleboarders and kayakers chasing it out into the ocean. Following them were a couple sailboats just motoring.

It's a shame some people really do harass them like that. Animals don't have a clue what we are and what we are doing. As spectators to an animal simply breathing and traveling, people should leave it alone. I totally understand how "awesome it feels" to be so close to it,and how "epic it is" but really, it's an unpredictable, huge, marine animal.

During this season you see the flyers at boat store counters displaying the safe viewing radius around sea animals - I'm sure almost all SailNet-ers know the rules already, so maybe we can just spread the word to tourists/rental boats, too.

Never for a second did I think "I haven't had enough of seeing this whale take a breath, I gotta go chase it so I can see it one more time" It was more like "I draw 5'6" deep right? It's going that way? Okay, okay good."
Old 01-31-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
We got a glimpse of a couple in the Santa Monica Bay 2 weeks ago. They're majestic creatures. That pod off the coast of Palos Verdes was apparently the largest on record, as the OP states. I was returning to the harbor under sail alone when the whale broke the surface heading right at us. Moving at about 1 knot there wasn't anything I could do, it's really up to the whale how close we're both going to get. But of course, behind the whale were about a dozen paddleboarders and kayakers chasing it out into the ocean. Following them were a couple sailboats just motoring.

It's a shame some people really do harass them like that. Animals don't have a clue what we are and what we are doing. As spectators to an animal simply breathing and traveling, people should leave it alone. I totally understand how "awesome it feels" to be so close to it,and how "epic it is" but really, it's an unpredictable, huge, marine animal.

During this season you see the flyers at boat store counters displaying the safe viewing radius around sea animals - I'm sure almost all SailNet-ers know the rules already, so maybe we can just spread the word to tourists/rental boats, too.

Never for a second did I think "I haven't had enough of seeing this whale take a breath, I gotta go chase it so I can see it one more time" It was more like "I draw 5'6" deep right? It's going that way? Okay, okay good."
Agreed....once he surfaced, and went his own way...I just watched....I was shocked he surfaced so close to me initially...I was doing maybe 1 or 2 knots under sail and assumed he had left the area.

Old 01-31-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Watch out for them baby whales:

3 cases of whale-vessel collisions reported